Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Probably worth pointing out about Medina that his first half of last season was pretty good.
He was a system player at best. Name one match he was able to take over and inflict his will on the opposition. Hell, even I can score a goal now and again if playing with Villa, Maxi, Herrera, and Ring.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
He was a system player at best. Name one match he was able to take over and inflict his will on the opposition. Hell, even I can score a goal now and again if playing with Villa, Maxi, Herrera, and Ring.
I just went back and broke down the numbers and he actually did well early under Dome, but nothing late.

He was 2 goals and 5 assists in 15 games under Viera. Then he was 4 goals and 2 assists in the next 8 games under Dome. He hasn’t had a goal or an assist in 10 appearances since then (which does not include 6 games when he was out hurt).

I just went back and broke down the numbers and he actually did well early under Dome, but nothing late.

He was 2 goals and 5 assists in 15 games under Viera. Then he was 4 goals and 2 assists in the next 8 games under Dome. He hasn’t had a goal or an assist in 10 appearances since then (which does not include 6 games when he was out hurt).
Those first 8 matches under Dome were when he was using PVs tactics, and as a result the wins were there. Guys knew their roles in the system, hence with Villa out the offense still was working.

Press conference starts:
"Why can't NYCFC win?!"
Fuck Dome, get outta hear and give us a real coach.

The second reporter nearly asked, "Do you think the team is losing confidence with you" and then quickly switched to say "with these results".

Then they are deflecting questions about the pitch and trying to move onto the next question.

I know someone else posted something about 4 wins, but I was curious to see the progression since Dome took over. So here goes:

Win
Loss
Win
Win
Win
Win (We were feeling really damn good around this point.) - July 14

Loss
Tie
Win - August 12
Loss
Tie
Loss
Loss
Tie
Tie
Win
Loss
Loss
Win
Win (playoffs round 1)
Loss (playoffs round 2)
Loss (playoffs round 2)

Tie
Tie
Tie
Loss
Tie

So 4 wins in the last 21 matches since July 14.
4 wins in 8 months.
Average of 1 win every 2 months. (Yes, including offseason, yadda yadda.)

You could also track since August 12 and it sounds even worse.
3 wins in the last 18 matches.
3 wins in 8 months (a/o this coming Friday).

You could also track since August 12 and it sounds even worse.
3 wins in the last 18 matches.
3 wins in 8 months (a/o this coming Friday).

Two of those wins came in the span of four (?) days against the Philadelphia Union. Take those out and it’s one win in 16 matches. Yikes.

I think Dome is also something like 0-7-2 in his last nine road matches.

Two of those wins came in the span of four (?) days against the Philadelphia Union. Take those out and it’s one win in 16 matches. Yikes.

I think Dome is also something like 0-7-2 in his last nine road matches.

1-6-2 by my records. That's unchanged regardless of whether you count the playoffs (which I prefer to keep separate but it doesn't matter here).
Torrent was 2-7-2 Away, with both wins coming early. He really wasn't much worse than Vieira Away in 2018 as the team won 4 times Away, evenly split between the 2 coaches. But he was much worse than PV at home.

1-6-2 by my records. That's unchanged regardless of whether you count the playoffs (which I prefer to keep separate but it doesn't matter here).
Torrent was 2-7-2 Away, with both wins coming early. He really wasn't much worse than Vieira Away in 2018 as the team won 4 times Away, evenly split between the 2 coaches. But he was much worse than PV at home.
Remember too that some of his early results were against the run of play. I am thinking of Toronto in particular, where we went up a man and still couldn’t possess or dictate the game and somehow came out with a win anyway.

Remember too that some of his early results were against the run of play. I am thinking of Toronto in particular, where we went up a man and still couldn’t possess or dictate the game and somehow came out with a win anyway.
Well if you do that then he gets credit for should-have-been wins against Chicago, DC and Vancouver last year when we dominated 3 times and got 3 draws. Or do we rank him on results when they're bad and form of play when we win?

Also, you saw a different game in Toronto than I did. We had 63% possession, and here is the shot graph. This game was not close. Look at all those shots we took inside the box. I would give a kidney to have the team attack like that now.

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 9.24.05 AM.png

ETA: I agree the Toronto game was frustrating We all thought we should have won 5-1 or something like that but we gave up 2 goals against the run of play and only scored the winner at '88. But it was bad finishing, not lackluster play that did us in. Later when we started playing poorly I think we tended to mix up all our frustration, but as I remember it, the Toronto game was definitely of a different sort and part of the early Dome period when we still played well. That lasted about 9 games.

ETA2: I'm ready to move on to the after Dome period. But I want the record clear and fair.

Last edited:
Well if you do that then he gets credit for should-have-been wins against Chicago, DC and Vancouver last year when we dominated 3 times and got 3 draws. Or do we rank him on results when they're bad and form of play when we win?

Also, you saw a different game in Toronto than I did. We had 63% possession, and here is the shot graph. This game was not close. Look at all those shots we took inside the box. I would give a kidney to have the team attack like that now.

View attachment 9695

ETA: I agree the Toronto game was frustrating We all thought we should have won 5-1 or something like that but we gave up 2 goals against the run of play and only scored the winner at '88. But it was bad finishing, not lackluster play that did us in. Later when we started playing poorly I think we tended to mix up all our frustration, but as I remember it, the Toronto game was definitely of a different sort and part of the early Dome period when we still played well. That lasted about 9 games.

ETA2: I ready to move on to the after Dome period. But I want the record clear and fair.
Anybody on this list that looks interesting and viable?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/verfuegbaretrainer

I thought David Wagner might be an interesting target, but understandably he seems to be looking for a return to the Premier League or Bundesliga: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...pU1ccRwZbiA3PiXX0&ampcf=1&cshid=1554645386003

Last edited:

I thought David Wagner might an interesting target, but understandably he seems to be looking for a return to the Premier League or Bundesliga: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...pU1ccRwZbiA3PiXX0&ampcf=1&cshid=1554645386003
Yeah I highly doubt he would come. He really hasn’t spent much time in the US so I’m sure he’ll end up back in Germany.

I thought David Wagner might an interesting target, but understandably he seems to be looking for a return to the Premier League or Bundesliga: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...pU1ccRwZbiA3PiXX0&ampcf=1&cshid=1554645386003
I hate Jose with a passion, but it would be amusing to have him come and immediately say he needs to replace 24 players on the roster. That would be Peak Euro coach speak.

He’d then say we need to replace 10 people in the FO.

Is there any precedent from the other CFG peripheral clubs as to whether/when underperforming coaches have been fired? Man City doesn’t shed any light given the success of managers in the recent era, and as we have discussed, the handling of Kreis is not an appropriate guide.

David Wagner
The problem with Wagner is that we have no idea if he's any good. Huddersfield lucked into promotion after being pretty bad in the Championship, then played two terrible seasons in the Prem. It's possible he got the most out of a bad roster on a mismanaged team, but we really have no idea.

That said, we have a team which can't attack and Wagner spent several seasons coaching a bad team which couldn't attack either and got crap results from boring football, so by all means, bring him in.

Are there any assistant coaches still here that could act as a caretaker manager until the summer window/new CFG hire is found? I totally agree he is probably going to stay, but if they just have a temporary promotion from someone who has been here a while, that would negate a lot of the coaching shuffle problems that we are worried about.

Reactions: Kjbert
Are there any assistant coaches still here that could act as a caretaker manager until the summer window/new CFG hire is found? I totally agree he is probably going to stay, but if they just have a temporary promotion from someone who has been here a while, that would negate a lot of the coaching shuffle problems that we are worried about.
Why would we think that any of the existing assistant coaches would be any better than Dome?

Reactions: Schwallacus