Euro 2016

Is there anything more annoying right now than Bob Ley's attempt at a French accent?

And does ESPN really need a set where three guys are talking around a table with a freaking baguette on it???

It wasn't pretty but the Italians did what many thought they couldn't; win a very competitive group.

That goal was pretty. Pellé's first half was pretty terrible.

I think I'm going to be in the middle of driving to Atlanta during their round of 16 match. Fok.

Love that we made the changes. Team looked so much better in attack without Mandzukic. Hope he keeps him on the bench in the next round!
right! i really don't see the appeal of mandzukic. it's like he's supposed to be some kind of target man, but really the only thing he does is flop and take cheap shots on defenders. You're not going to draw a red card every match. I'm really excited for the next crop of players; the game was so much more enjoyable to watch.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Lots of good drama today. Iceland look good to advance if they can hold the current 1-1 score with Austria. Portugal and Hungary are both looking good if their 3-3 score holds. Haven't seen that one, but I understand it is great.

Meanwhile, Ireland and Sweden need to win to advance in their games against Italy and Belgium, respectively. Italy is through, but Belgium may be out with a loss and would certainly advance with a tie.

And Iceland scores at the death to advance. Will be in 2nd place in group.

Portugal sits in 3rd place and will advance on goal differential.

The bracket is really bizarre due to some unexpected results. Germany, Italy, France, England and Spain are all on one side so a final between any of those 2 teams would be impossible. Italy is playing Spain in this coming round, and the winner gets Germany in the quarterfinals if Germany advances. England and France would meet in the quarters also if both advance.
On the other side, Portugal, who barely squeaked through with 3 ties, sits as the only top ranked team in 8 slots (although Belgium might end up there pending their results today). If Portugal can get it together they have a fairly clear path to the finals, but can they actually start winning? Elsewise teams like Wales and Poland have a remarkably easy potential path to the finals, in which there is a good chance they would only have to beat one major country, and perhaps each other, to reach the final.

Strange day yesterday. Loved seeing Iceland and the Republic of Ireland advance. Sorry to see Turkey dropped. Biggest loss is Zlatan. I kept rooting him on for a goal. Very sad knowing it was his last game for Sweden. He will be greatly missed.

i

Last edited:
Reactions: Goodfella
Was glad to Ireland make it...though it was against Italy's B team, it was a tough game. Ireland wanted to win bad. That one guy Long was being abused all game, deservedly so.

Elsewise teams like Wales and Poland have a remarkably easy potential path to the finals, in which there is a good chance they would only have to beat one major country, and perhaps each other, to reach the final.

Wales or Poland would probably have to play both Belgium & Portugal to get to final, if the more talented teams can play to their potential. Would love to see a lower ranked team sneak through! It seems whomever makes it out of the other half of the bracket will win in the Final. Can you imagine Italy (or Spain) getting through Spain (or Italy), then Germany, then France just to make the final? Spain, Germany, France 0r Italy, Germany, France; either one is a 3 game stretch from hell. And it doesn't even win you the title.

Screenshot 2016-06-23 13.59.43.png

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Wales or Poland would probably have to play both Belgium & Portugal to get to final, if the more talented teams can play to their potential. Would love to see a lower ranked team sneak through! It seems whomever makes it out of the other half of the bracket will win in the Final. Can you imagine Italy (or Spain) getting through Spain (or Italy), then Germany, then France just to make the final? Spain, Germany, France 0r Italy, Germany, France; either one is a 3 game stretch from hell. And it doesn't even win you the title.

View attachment 5143

Yeah as it turns out Belgium and Portugal can't face each other until the semifinal, but I wouldn't be shocked to see one or both of them falter before that. Belgium and Wales were in the same group in qualifiers and Wales took 4 points H2H. On the other side Croatia is looking at least as capable as Portugal. Croatia could actually be the dark horse in that bracket.

Yeah as it turns out Belgium and Portugal can't face each other until the semifinal, but I wouldn't be shocked to see one or both of them falter before that. Belgium and Wales were in the same group in qualifiers and Wales took 4 points H2H. On the other side Croatia is looking at least as capable as Portugal. Croatia could actually be the dark horse in that bracket.

I remember that qualifying group well, Israel was in it too :*(

Reactions: Goodfella