Expansion Rumors Megathread

MLS release mentions Sacramento and St. Louis by name as presenting to the board later this summer. High probability they'll get in, with #30 announced next year.
Only two teams asked to make formal presentations to the Expansion Committee:
Both Sacramento and St. Louis groups will be asked to make formal presentations to the MLS Expansion Committee . . . .
Spots 28 and 29 to be announced this summer:

I don’t know there’s much room here for a dark horse

So Inter Miami is being sued by Inter Milan and Inter Miami will be playing their first 2 seasons 15 minutes from my house.

I've got a weird feeling Las Vegas is going to get spot #30: https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2019/apr/19/mls-commissioner-league-in-talks-with-las-vegas-ov/

Garber has a tendency to tip his hand by talking a bit too much about a seemingly long shot, as he did with St. Louis prior to them having both recent efforts and definitely with Austin. Despite very little public news of a LV effort, the city keeps being mentioned.

MLS seems set to go all in on gambling as a way to massively boost TV viewership, it would make tons of sense to be in Vegas asap.

Reactions: adam
I've got a weird feeling Las Vegas is going to get spot #30: https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2019/apr/19/mls-commissioner-league-in-talks-with-las-vegas-ov/

Garber has a tendency to tip his hand by talking a bit too much about a seemingly long shot, as he did with St. Louis prior to them having both recent efforts and definitely with Austin. Despite very little public news of a LV effort, the city keeps being mentioned.

MLS seems set to go all in on gambling as a way to massively boost TV viewership, it would make tons of sense to be in Vegas asap.
I’m holding out hope for San Diego, despite no credible current bid.

San Diego / LA / LA / San Jose / Sacramento

Feels just about right for California. Then add Las Vegas and Phoenix on the next round.

If MLS announces they are expanding beyond 32 teams before 2026, then I'll start to think the league is a pyramid scheme and is actually failing financially.

Id imagine 32 teams will happen prior to the World Cup.

However no reason MLS cant eventually get to 36 teams. Still plenty of big cities without a team. I'd imagine it will be around 2030 when this happens though.

2 x 18 team conferences.

Everyone plays home and away in their conference = 34 game season + playoffs

In effect, its two seperate leagues.

Last edited:
I’m holding out hope for San Diego, despite no credible current bid.

San Diego / LA / LA / San Jose / Sacramento

Feels just about right for California. Then add Las Vegas and Phoenix on the next round.

Charlotte/ North Carolina is another area MLS has a keen eye on.

The St Louis bid for MLS has dropped some new stadium designs.

22,500 capacity, with the ability to expand to 25,000.

1-STADIUM-1.png

pTfDRsl.jpg

Following up my own post to ask whether MLS would try another relocation. Would #savetherapids have the same enthusiasm behind it that #savethecrew had if Kronke has been talking to MLS about heading to Las Vegas instead?

Last edited:
Following up my own post to ask whether MLS would try another relocation. Would #savetherapids have the same enthusiasm behind it that #savethecrew had if Kronke has been talking to MLS about heading to Las Vegas instead?

Long time listener here, first time caller, and current Phoenician.

From our side of the country it does seem your spidey senses should be tingling. I think Rising gets in at #30 and they look to bring in Vegas with them or right after to make sure they get it right. You know how much MLS LOVES regional rivalries.

From our side of the country it does seem your spidey senses should be tingling. I think Rising gets in at #30 and they look to bring in Vegas with them or right after to make sure they get it right. You know how much MLS LOVES regional rivalries.
Would love to see a team in Phoenix. My wife is from the area, and we go back to see family every year. Would be a solid location, I think.

I am only for Las Vegas if they bring in Las Vegas Lights.

Inter Miami CF announced today that you can put a deposit on season tickets today.

However, when I hit Place Order, nothing happens (but the timer in the upper right of the screen keeps counting down).