Expansion Rumors Megathread

Atlanta United apparently didn't get the memo that foreign managers don't win in MLS
That's because they got the memo that not all Cup-winning managers are actually any good.

Reactions: adam
Call me crazy, but if Miami isn't sorted out by Christmas, and LAFC needs a partner to join with them in 2018, is FC Cincinnati the most logical choice?

Sacramento is next in line and waiting on-site with shovels, with probably an 18-24 month turnaround time. But Cincinnati is ready *tomorrow* with a very good stadium solution and a rabid fanbase:

I think we will get some clarity over the winter, as time is up for Miami. If they need more, I could see a new timeline announced this offseason:

2017 - Minnesota United FC (W)
2017 - Atlanta United FC (E)
2018 - Los Angeles FC (W)
2018 - FC Cincinnati (E)
2020 - Sacramento Republic FC (W)
2020 - Miami MLS (E)

It might sting for Sacramento fans, but as long as they're confirmed to be included, it makes sense to give them some time to build their stadium.

It's so strange to have so many teams lined up to be #25-28, but don't have anyone ready to be #24.

Reactions: Paul and Ulrich
Call me crazy, but if Miami isn't sorted out by Christmas, and LAFC needs a partner to join with them in 2018, is FC Cincinnati the most logical choice?

Sacramento is next in line and waiting on-site with shovels, with probably an 18-24 month turnaround time. But Cincinnati is ready *tomorrow* with a very good stadium solution and a rabid fanbase:

I think we will get some clarity over the winter, as time is up for Miami. If they need more, I could see a new timeline announced this offseason:

2017 - Minnesota United FC (W)
2017 - Atlanta United FC (E)
2018 - Los Angeles FC (W)
2018 - FC Cincinnati (E)
2020 - Sacramento Republic FC (W)
2020 - Miami MLS (E)

It might sting for Sacramento fans, but as long as they're confirmed to be included, it makes sense to give them some time to build their stadium.

It's so strange to have so many teams lined up to be #25-28, but don't have anyone ready to be #24.
I like the idea of Beckham in the ownership "group" since he probably can convince other players to take MLS seriously, but it just feels like enough is enough - either cut/run from Miami to Vegas, or cut Beckham loose completely.... his ship sailed

Reactions: 21Architect
We don't know the contractual details with Beckham's option, but it has been widely speculated that he is committed to Miami. He can't sell or transfer his option elsewhere. No idea if/when MLS can say "enough" with all the delays.
I also highly doubt that MLS will make any expansion decisions based on making things even. If only LAFC is coming in 2018, they are not going to greenlight another club simply because they need to go by two's or keep the conferences even.

Reactions: sbrylski
Miami Vice is the only appropriate name.

I've been saying that for 2 years. It's a no-brainer. They would instantly have the best team name in MLS.

As a Miami resident, the crawl that this "franchise" has gone into is becoming painful.

I've been saying that for 2 years. It's a no-brainer. They would instantly have the best team name in MLS.

As a Miami resident, the crawl that this "franchise" has gone into is becoming painful.
If and when Miami gets the team, will you switch allegiance?

If and when Miami gets the team, will you switch allegiance?

If Miami gets an MLS team I will be a Miami season ticket holder. But as long as one of Pirlo/Harrison/Villa/Lampard/Tommy Mac are on NYC, I'll remain a big fan.

The only reason I started supporting NYC was because of Pirlo. But having followed the team since Pirlo got there, I've really grown to like a lot of the squad.

If Miami gets an MLS team I will be a Miami season ticket holder. But as long as one of Pirlo/Harrison/Villa/Lampard/Tommy Mac are on NYC, I'll remain a big fan.

The only reason I started supporting NYC was because of Pirlo. But having followed the team since Pirlo got there, I've really grown to like a lot of the squad.
And this is the essence of the meaninglessness of sports allegiance. And yet, here we all are, obsessed with how our jerseys perform every week. See you all at YS on the 23rd.

I think I might paint my face for this one.

Reactions: sbrylski
And this is the essence of the meaninglessness of sports allegiance. And yet, here we all are, obsessed with how our jerseys perform every week. See you all at YS on the 23rd.

I think I might paint my face for this one.

It's an outlet for those tribal instincts. http://extrafabulouscomics.com/comic/200/

sports.png

Reactions: Schwallacus