Expansion Rumors Megathread

If Sac gets in, we're for sure breaking 30 teams. Do it! Sends a strong signal to other hopefuls (e.g., FCC) that doing it right will get you in—that it's about more than the X largest media markets or whatever. Should provide a real boost in the next expansion round.

Also a huge, inclusive league is way more fun than a limited model. Maybe Austin would have a shot after all (pending, of course, an actual plan).

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
If Sac gets in, we're for sure breaking 30 teams.

I'm not sure that a Sacramento admission means much about overall size of the league.

This is a real good recent article: https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2...jor-league-soccer-marketing-usa-mexico-canada

The more teams they let in, the more people they have to split SUM revenues with. It is also in their benefit to have a large army at the gate trying to get in, so they can skyrocket expansion fees and build that into their own franchise values.

Over time, I keep revising my estimate downwards, now at 28-32, most likely 30.

Some good markets are going to get locked out, but the NISA will rise as a new threat to the status quo just as MLS is maturing.

I'm not sure that a Sacramento admission means much about overall size of the league.

This is a real good recent article: https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2...jor-league-soccer-marketing-usa-mexico-canada

The more teams they let in, the more people they have to split SUM revenues with. It is also in their benefit to have a large army at the gate trying to get in, so they can skyrocket expansion fees and build that into their own franchise values.

Over time, I keep revising my estimate downwards, now at 28-32, most likely 30.

Some good markets are going to get locked out, but the NISA will rise as a new threat to the status quo just as MLS is maturing.

NISA is going to take at least three years....and i think it will feed to the NASL....unless they become to successful then maybe merge and then put pressure?

NISA is going to take at least three years....and i think it will feed to the NASL....unless they become to successful then maybe merge and then put pressure?

I have little faith in the NASL. I think they are more likely to fold into the NISA within a year or two. Hell, with the NISA as a landing spot for teams unwanted by the USL, I could see the USSF pulling their waiver and letting it die this winter.

What is the NASL even trying to do these days? Are they building a pyramid top down? Middle out? Ft. Lauderdale is bankrupt, the SF Deltas are already showing signs of cracking, the big Chicago expansion isn't happening, California United looks a bit unprofessional, etc.

Meanwhile, the NISA will be announcing their inaugural teams today, and it is expected that a number of them are "promoted" teams from "Division 4." This represents bottom up organic growth. They are going to be organized regionally to help reduce costs and have a decently strong central office. I'm optimistic about their future.

I have little faith in the NASL. I think they are more likely to fold into the NISA within a year or two. Hell, with the NISA as a landing spot for teams unwanted by the USL, I could see the USSF pulling their waiver and letting it die this winter.

What is the NASL even trying to do these days? Are they building a pyramid top down? Middle out? Ft. Lauderdale is bankrupt, the SF Deltas are already showing signs of cracking, the big Chicago expansion isn't happening, California United looks a bit unprofessional, etc.

Meanwhile, the NISA will be announcing their inaugural teams today, and it is expected that a number of them are "promoted" teams from "Division 4." This represents bottom up organic growth. They are going to be organized regionally to help reduce costs and have a decently strong central office. I'm optimistic about their future.

NISA is announcing today? interesting. i think its supposed to be 8 teams. we will see who they take from the lower leagues.

Peter Wilt is leading the whole NISA thing....i think he has enough credibility...and you may be right it may merge with NASL eventually. I think NASL wants to get as much leagues or teams on board with this "independent" movement to try and get momentum for P/R

i still dont think USSF strips any D2 license from them since i dont think they want to be the ones with blood in their hands for ending NASL, that and you still have all these MLS 2 sides in USL ( nothing seems to give in terms of the tug of war going on if they should be in D2 or "drop" to PDL or USL 3)

Chicago i think he said in a podcast that at earliest will be in 2019...wether its NASL or NISA who knows. I didnt know SF Deltas were cracking....i thought they werent happy with the league or something not something on their end. I think the San Diego team seems to have a good plan.

NISA is announcing today? interesting. i think its supposed to be 8 teams. we will see who they take from the lower leagues.

Peter Wilt is leading the whole NISA thing....i think he has enough credibility...and you may be right it may merge with NASL eventually. I think NASL wants to get as much leagues or teams on board with this "independent" movement to try and get momentum for P/R

Not that I'm a member of the movement, but I honestly think it would be best if they focus on the NISA and add a few strong NASL teams to the league to really jumpstart it. Once the NISA reaches 24 in 3-5 years of even growth, they can start talking about splitting off the top 12 into a new D2 league again.

i still dont think USSF strips any D2 license from them since i dont think they want to be the ones with blood in their hands for ending NASL, that and you still have all these MLS 2 sides in USL ( nothing seems to give in terms of the tug of war going on if they should be in D2 or "drop" to PDL or USL 3)

You're probably right, but the USSF was actively trying to secure landing spots for NASL teams last year so they could strip them of sanctioning with no bloody hands. In other words, they tried to snuff it out. Their job only becomes easier with the existence of the NISA, because now there are two potential professional leagues to take in the orphans. The two teams that still may not fit anywhere (Edmonton and Puero Rico) are also not in the USSF's jurisdiction anyway.

Chicago i think he said in a podcast that at earliest will be in 2019...wether its NASL or NISA who knows. I didnt know SF Deltas were cracking....i thought they werent happy with the league or something not something on their end. I think the San Diego team seems to have a good plan.

Chicago NASL is run by Wilt, who has been honest that they have not been able to find a suitable stadium at a suitable cost. There's no end in sight to that search, and now Wilt is quite busy with the NISA. I'm not optimistic here.

The Deltas published a pathetic release to their fans begging them to bring their friends to games (i.e. advertise for them). They don't have a business plan to draw fans in and are flailing.

I like the San Diego effort so far, but I'm only cautiously optimistic, as the core of that ownership group don't have much experience in business. They're mostly former players, and then one local owner who seems quality, but we shall see. San Diego could be the NASL's best add in years. But I still think San Diego, Orange County, and San Francisco would make a better foundation for a West Coast division in the NISA.

Not that I'm a member of the movement, but I honestly think it would be best if they focus on the NISA and add a few strong NASL teams to the league to really jumpstart it. Once the NISA reaches 24 in 3-5 years of even growth, they can start talking about splitting off the top 12 into a new D2 league again.

You're probably right, but the USSF was actively trying to secure landing spots for NASL teams last year so they could strip them of sanctioning with no bloody hands. In other words, they tried to snuff it out. Their job only becomes easier with the existence of the NISA, because now there are two potential professional leagues to take in the orphans. The two teams that still may not fit anywhere (Edmonton and Puero Rico) are also not in the USSF's jurisdiction anyway.

Chicago NASL is run by Wilt, who has been honest that they have not been able to find a suitable stadium at a suitable cost. There's no end in sight to that search, and now Wilt is quite busy with the NISA. I'm not optimistic here.

The Deltas published a pathetic release to their fans begging them to bring their friends to games (i.e. advertise for them). They don't have a business plan to draw fans in and are flailing.

I like the San Diego effort so far, but I'm only cautiously optimistic, as the core of that ownership group don't have much experience in business. They're mostly former players, and then one local owner who seems quality, but we shall see. San Diego could be the NASL's best add in years. But I still think San Diego, Orange County, and San Francisco would make a better foundation for a West Coast division in the NISA.

if Peter Wilt was in charge of NASL then id think yes it can bring NISA teams up etc. i dont think that happens now...but if the league does get the 24 teams it claims in a few years then maybe something does happen where merger occurs since NASL may even have less teams than NISA at that point. well see.

the rumor was that Ottawa was given permission to be in USL for the time being until Canadian PL gets set up. once that happens they had to "move" to CPL, i think edmonton was given same condition but i dont know whats going to happen since i think the Edmonton owner has shares and all invested in NASL.

im trying to find announcement that NISA will announce today....i think someone on twitter said US soccer meetings were happening this week but not sure if thats true.

I know the USASA president is in NYC for "important meetings" but not sure if that means US soccer. ones or just USASA.

if Peter Wilt was in charge of NASL then id think yes it can bring NISA teams up etc. i dont think that happens now...but if the league does get the 24 teams it claims in a few years then maybe something does happen where merger occurs since NASL may even have less teams than NISA at that point. well see.

the rumor was that Ottawa was given permission to be in USL for the time being until Canadian PL gets set up. once that happens they had to "move" to CPL, i think edmonton was given same condition but i dont know whats going to happen since i think the Edmonton owner has shares and all invested in NASL.

im trying to find announcement that NISA will announce today....i think someone on twitter said US soccer meetings were happening this week but not sure if thats true.

I know the USASA president is in NYC for "important meetings" but not sure if that means US soccer. ones or just USASA.

NISA's Twitter (@NISALeague) said yesterday that they are announcing the markets via Twitter, and that it would happen yet this month (e.g. today or maybe tomorrow). A poster on Reddit this morning (/u/EquinsuOcha on /r/NISA) claimed it would happen today followed by a full release published on Midfield Press.

NISA's Twitter (@NISALeague) said yesterday that they are announcing the markets via Twitter, and that it would happen yet this month (e.g. today or maybe tomorrow). A poster on Reddit this morning (/u/EquinsuOcha on /r/NISA) claimed it would happen today followed by a full release published on Midfield Press.

i didnt know they had a reddit as well....i guess ill follow it now. thanks

Reactions: sbrylski

i just saw the post.....FOLLOW THEM ASAP lol

we shall see

Reactions: sbrylski

so rumors are

Chattanooga, Detroit city, Tulsa Athletic, Buffalo and Charlotte team. I wonder if its basically a raid of NPSL

so then NPSL>> NISA>> NASL?

Saw this on r/MLS.

"Sources think"...This is a bullshit statement.

I could think that NYCFC will sign the entire Spanish national team and they all come back to NYC on a private plane with Villa. Doesn't mean it's confirmed.
Scarf megalomaniacs are not great sources . This is a beat writer for said team.

In other league news

The USL surpassed 1.5 million total attendance to set a new single-season record last weekend. With seven weeks of the season remaining, the USL now looks well set to beat two million total attendance in 2017.

Reactions: LostAnvil

Interesting because Ottawa is Montreal's USL affiliate. I thought the didn't want reserve teams in CPL?

Interesting because Ottawa is Montreal's USL affiliate. I thought the didn't want reserve teams in CPL?

Affiliate =/= reserves nor non-independent, it's just a block of loans basically. In Ottawa's case, they have just two loanees from Montreal (and one from Dallas). San Antonio is our "affiliate."