Expansion Rumors Megathread

Where did you see the announced colors or anything? The link you provided shows nothing. ???

Also in real MLS expansion news (not minor Cosmos league) Beckham, Friends and Garber met with University of Miami officials about a joint stadium. Sounds positive.

Reactions: Kjbert
Where did you see the announced colors or anything? The link you provided shows nothing. ???

The link is to an "under construction" page for the NASL team, and it's a teal tinted photo with orange text. No announcement, but I'd say that's at least an indicator they are leaning towards those colors.

Also in real MLS expansion news (not minor Cosmos league) Beckham, Friends and Garber met with University of Miami officials about a joint stadium. Sounds positive.

I agree that this sounds promising. The U of Miami wants to build a 40k seat stadium, which is large but not so large that it would be cavernous for MLS, if well designed.

The key is for Beckham to own the stadium, and rent it to the U. Or at the very least, be co-tenants with equal rights.

I really believe this is a new, league-wide idea to co-op stadiums with universities.

LAFC with USC, Miami and even we are linked with Columbia University. Hoping to catch those college kids who are a major demographic for soccer in the country right now. Obviously, each situation is slightly different and I think the league would still prefer downtown stadiums first and foremost but in our larger, more dense cities this seems to be the new playbook.

I really believe this is a new, league-wide idea to co-op stadiums with universities.

LAFC with USC, Miami and even we are linked with Columbia University. Hoping to catch those college kids who are a major demographic for soccer in the country right now. Obviously, each situation is slightly different and I think the league would still prefer downtown stadiums first and foremost but in our larger, more dense cities this seems to be the new playbook.
I assume that the league really wants teams in these cities; otherwise I don't think that they'd allows multipurpose stadiums used by more that just the MLS team.

Looks like Miami FC is going to jump on the teal and orange color scheme: http://miamifc.com/

I hope Beckham goes for a bright pink like Grasshopper Zurich's away kit. It would be very "South Florida" and very unique to the league.

41lR8SnotWL._SY300_.jpg

32143.jpg

Miami Vice FC

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
I assume that the league really wants teams in these cities; otherwise I don't think that they'd allows multipurpose stadiums used by more that just the MLS team.
You would be incorrect.

Quick list of the MLS teams that share:
- LA Galaxy/Cal State at DH
- Houston Dynamo/Texas Christian
- MLS Atlanta/Atlanta Falcons
- Portland Timbers/Portland State
- Vancouver Whitecaps/Vsncouver 86ers
- FC Dallas/Every HS in or near Frisco

And those are just the ones that are being built or just recently were built. We're not even taking into account the Revolutions or Soudners of the league.

You would be incorrect.

Quick list of the MLS teams that share:
- LA Galaxy/Cal State at DH
- Houston Dynamo/Texas Christian
- MLS Atlanta/Atlanta Falcons
- Portland Timbers/Portland State
- Vancouver Whitecaps/Vsncouver 86ers
- FC Dallas/Every HS in or near Frisco

And those are just the ones that are being built or just recently were built. We're not even taking into account the Revolutions or Soudners of the league.
I was unaware of most of these stadium sharing situations.

The Dynamo don't share their stadium with TCU. TCU is in Ft. Worth, not Houston.

It's Texas Southern (TSU), not TCU, but they do share the stadium.
Ah, the original poster to whom I replied was mistaken. Thank you for the correction.

Aren't the MLS teams the primary stadium tenants in the majority of the listed stadium sharing cases?

Ah, the original poster to whom I replied was mistaken. Thank you for the correction.

Aren't the MLS teams the primary stadium tenants in the majority of the listed stadium sharing cases?
Yes they are the primary tenant in most cases, but not all. Vancouver and Atlanta are/will not be. Most others have restrictions in place regardless if they control revenue or time slots.

Reactions: Kjbert and Z4CH3B99
Yes they are the primary tenant in most cases, but not all. Vancouver and Atlanta are/will not be. Most others have restrictions in place regardless if they control revenue or time slots.

Vancouver is not primary but it's 50/50 with the BC Lions. Soon to be 70/30 for the Caps the way things are going.

Why don't all teams do this? I'm always confused as to why privately owned teams make taxpayers build their stadiums.

Most teams can't afford to built their own stadium. Especially a league like MLS where most teams lose money annually.

The reverse is a team creates jobs, the infrastructure spending creates jobs - and taxpayers like that (even though it's a government handout).

Reactions: Z4CH3B99