Expansion Rumors Megathread

I watched a lot of the City Commissioners meeting in Miami to discuss putting the motion to vote on putting a vote to the public. Looks like a mess.

God, getting a stadium done is brutal.

I watched a good portion of the later stages of the meeting on Facebook Live. It got hot in that room.

There's a councilman that wants a $15 minimum wage for anyone who works in the stadium. Which is crazy to think with the subcontracting that goes on during stadium events.

It's not looking good for Miami. And still it would have to go to a public vote, which I'm not optimistic about considering the vote recently in St. Louis (which did require public funds). If they do get the yes from the public vote, it then requires a 4/5th approval from the commissioners board for the rent agreement.

Reactions: adam
There will be a team in Miami regardless of what happens with the golf course. But it might take another 5 years to get a stadium.

Hard Rock until then?

It’s possible. Only 8 Dolphin home games, the occasional U2 concert or Man City/Real Madrid money grab to contend with.

I haven’t done a tremendous amount of research about how many non-Dolphin game events the Hard Rock hosts but it’s more than adequate for soccer.

Hard Rock is already prepared to host World Cup 2026 matches :cool:

Reactions: adam
if the MLS wants to expand to Miami they can just play at Marlins Park, Hard Rock Stadium, or FIU Stadium

Why tf did Beckham pick Miami if they don't even want an MLS team? There are so many cities that are itching for an MLS team, and he could make such a better product at those places... It's like, let's take a team no one wants and try to force it in! Imagine if he picked somewhere that has Atlanta 2.0 potential! But no, he picks Miami. And it's not like Miami has never had a team before, they had the fusion, but we all know how that ended.
And not only Miami, but Tampa Bay as well. Like, come on Beckham, you're a smart man.

Reactions: Schwallacus
So Mas defaults.... does Beckham???? Especially after kicking sand at that one site they were approved for?!?

The league should take the club away and reissue it to a new ownership group paying market rate.

MLS was very patient about awarding this franchise. They waited until Beckham's group finally had a deal with the city for a stadium. Then, the moment the franchise was awarded, the group switched its focus and abandoned the original stadium plan. If Mas wants to chase real estate profits out by the airport as part of this whole thing, fine, but if it doesn't pan out, they don't get a franchise.

Reactions: adam and Ulrich