MLS Fantasy Strategy

I'm guessing that I'll be okay cause it seems like the same rules as EPL fantasy league.

Some prices for NYCFC players are a little on the whacky side!

Goalkeepers $ TS
Saunders NYC $5.0 128
Johansen NYC $4.5 0
Defenders $ TS
Hernandez NYC $6.5 79
White NYC $6.5 56
Allen NYC $5.0 37
Iraola NYC $7.0 17
Mena NYC $7.0 17
Brandt NYC $5.0 1
Brillant NYC $8.0 0
Martinez NYC $6.0 0
Matarrita NYC $7.5 0
Midfielders $ TS
Jacobson NYC $7.0 102
Diskerud NYC $8.0 95
Poku NYC $7.5 82
Ballouchy NYC $6.5 66
Pirlo NYC $10.0 58
Lampard NYC $10.0 41
Lopez NYC $5.5 13
Bravo NYC $7.0 0
Harrison NYC $5.5 0
McNamara NYC $7.0 0
Forwards $ TS
Villa NYC $11.0 185
Mullins NYC $6.5 76
Shelton NYC $6.0 35
Taylor NYC $5.5 2
Yikes hard to pick a sleeper there unless Eirik comes through as a starter.

Yikes hard to pick a sleeper there unless Eirik comes through as a starter.

I see a few. TT is great value if he starts. And so is Matarrita if he can get involved in the offense like we expect. Agree with Lurch, I rostered him for that very reason.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Didn't notice Matarrita. Should provide a lot of crosses. If those are scored lol. Haven't looked much yet.

Reactions: adam
Slightly OT, but I'm surprised to see they're setting Jordan Morris' starting price at $8.5

Only started doing this last year, but they started Larin real low too last season. It might have to do with lack of history. But if Morris moves into the Martins role, could be a real steal. Martins was $11+ last season.

Only started doing this last year, but they started Larin real low too last season. It might have to do with lack of history. But if Morris moves into the Martins role, could be a real steal. Martins was $11+ last season.
Oh, I was thinking it was *high* for a rookie season, despite Morris being Morris. <shrugguy.jpg>

Guys at mlsfantasyboss.com put up this schedule to see the DGWs & byes each week. Expect this to change as some MLS teams advance in the CCL. Looks like there may be a wildcard given out week 4 for anyone who needs to hit the reset button.

2016 pre-season schedule.png

Reactions: joe
Guys at mlsfantasyboss.com put up this schedule to see the DGWs & byes each week. Expect this to change as some MLS teams advance in the CCL. Looks like there may be a wildcard given out week 4 for anyone who needs to hit the reset button.

View attachment 4181

That chart is actually misleading for Week 4. For fantasy, they are lumping Week 4 and Week 5 together, so instead of a ton of byes, there are actually four double game weeks.

That chart is actually misleading for Week 4. For fantasy, they are lumping Week 4 and Week 5 together, so instead of a ton of byes, there are actually four double game weeks.

Good catch! This is actually what Round 4 (weeks 4&5) looks like for fantasy purposes:

Screenshot 2016-02-23 11.28.44.png

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Yeah that Fantasy Boss chart shows 33 Game weeks and the Fantasy League has 34 rounds so there is a substantial mismatch.

Now, a couple of important changes I have not seen noticed.
Last year we had one wildcard. This year we get 2. One for Rounds 1-17 and the second for Rounds 18-34.
Second: The Rules state that we get unlimited transfers in Rounds 19 and 33. Those are each Rounds that follow Rounds with substantial byes. Last year we got the unlimited transfers heading into the big bye weeks. I think this is much harder. It might even be a mistake, and the unlimited will switch to weeks 18 and 32 if someone at MLS wakes up.
And you cannot just use your wildcards on weeks 18 and 32 because one has to be used by week 17 or you lose it.

Yeah that Fantasy Boss chart shows 33 Game weeks and the Fantasy League has 34 rounds so there is a substantial mismatch.

Last year we had one wildcard. This year we get 2. One for Rounds 1-17 and the second for Rounds 18-34.
Second: The Rules state that we get unlimited transfers in Rounds 19 and 33. Those are each Rounds that follow Rounds with substantial byes. Last year we got the unlimited transfers heading into the big bye weeks. I think this is much harder. It might even be a mistake, and the unlimited will switch to weeks 18 and 32 if someone at MLS wakes up.
And you cannot just use your wildcards on weeks 18 and 32 because one has to be used by week 17 or you lose it.

Woah, that has to be a mistake. What's the benefit of having a wildcard after the bye weeks? Might as well not have it.

Woah, that has to be a mistake. What's the benefit of having a wildcard after the bye weeks? Might as well not have it.
I do think there is some advantage to having the unlimited transfers coming out of those weeks, as you can rebalance your roster across the entire league and not just the teams who played the week before. But it's substantially less useful than having it going into the big bye week.

There are also a decent number of weeks with substantial byes we will have to deal with no matter what:

Round 13 8 byes
Round 18 8 byes
Round 25 8 byes
Round 27 8 byes
Round 32 14 byes

I do think there is some advantage to having the unlimited transfers coming out of those weeks, as you can rebalance your roster across the entire league and not just the teams who played the week before. But it's substantially less useful than having it going into the big bye week.

Maybe they should have gotten rid of the wildcards altogether and kept the larger benches then. Force people to value depth.

Reactions: adam and mgarbowski

I think it has to be a mistake too. Maybe if I have time I'll try my hand at my own fantasy boss style chart, using the rounds given us on mls's fantasy site. You're right there has to be a difference in game weeks vs fantasy rounds (especially if they are combining weeks). I'd like to see it all on paper (screen) to get my head around it all.

Could one of you adam adam mgarbowski mgarbowski S sbrylski please explain how the 'wildcard' works.

Simple. Normally, each team can make two free transfers per week. Additional transfers cost -4 points each.

If you play a wildcard, you can make unlimited free transfers that week.

You get two wildcards. One must be played during Rounds 1-17 or it is lost. The other must be played during Rounds 18-34.

In addition, there are two weeks that everyone is given a wildcard. In the past, these wildcard weeks were scheduled when MLS had a ton of byes, in order to help teams fill out a full roster. This year, there is just one scheduled for Round 19, just past the midway point, and Round 33, which don't seem to correspond to bye-heavy weeks at all.

So it will be a little more challenging this year to manage around bye weeks. Should be interesting with the smaller benches.

Reactions: adam and mgarbowski