+/- For The Entire Team

hatt91

Registered
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 9, 2015
Upstate NY
For those of you unfamiliar with the plus minus system, the way it works is you get a +1 if you are on the field when a goal is scored for your team. You get a -1 if a goal is scored against your team while you are on the field. It does not take into account minutes played.

Example: Grabavoy is on the field when 2 goals are scored against us. He is subbed off for Poku. Villa then scored 5 goals. The match ends with us winning 5-2. Grabavoy's rating is a -2. Villa's is a +3. Poku's is a +5.

(I did this all by hand using 'Who Scored?' for timing of goals and subs, and is accurate as of the 8/1 match.)

Saunders -2
Facey +4
Villa -1
Mix -3
Grabavoy -5
TMac +5
Jacobson -1
Ballouchy +1
Brovsky -9
Mullins -4
Hernandez -2
KWS -7
Wingert 0
Shelton -5
Poku +4
Allen +2
Nemec +1
Calle -5
Velasquez -2
Alverez -5
Lampard 0
Iriola 0
Pirlo 0
Angelino +1
Mena +1

For those of you unfamiliar with the plus minus system, the way it works is you get a +1 if you are on the field when a goal is scored for your team. You get a -1 if a goal is scored against your team while you are on the field. It does not take into account minutes played.

Example: Grabavoy is on the field when 2 goals are scored against us. He is subbed off for Poku. Villa then scored 5 goals. The match ends with us winning 5-2. Grabavoy's rating is a -2. Villa's is a +3. Poku's is a +5.

(I did this all by hand using 'Who Scored?' for timing of goals and subs, and is accurate as of the 8/1 match.)

Saunders -2
Facey +4
Villa -1
Mix -3
Grabavoy -5
TMac +5
Jacobson -1
Ballouchy +1
Brovsky -9
Mullins -4
Hernandez -2
KWS -7
Wingert 0
Shelton -5
Poku +4
Allen +2
Nemec +1
Calle -5
Velasquez -2
Alverez -5
Lampard 0
Iriola 0
Pirlo 0
Angelino +1
Mena +1
Brovsky and Kwame are killing it... man they need to start more.

I commend you for the immense amount of time and energy that I cost you to make this chart!

Will you be keeping it updated as time goes on?

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Wow. Lot of work, and it's appreciated. My first reactions:
  • It's hard to pull out the causation from the correlation. For example, Villae is -1 mostly because he's played almost every game and we're -3 as a team. Also, Brovsky at -9 is probably a combination of his lack of value as well as his bad luck that his absence has correlated with a general team improvement that is in part unrelated to his absence. Shelton also probably suffers a bit from the timing of his injury, although I didn't expect him to be in positive territory.
  • With that, Grabs at -5 is mostly him I think, as is Poku at +4 and KWS at -7.
  • Look at TMac (+5) and Facey (+4). Not surprised. Well maybe a little at the amounts.
  • Mullins at -4 is a head scratcher for me.

I commend you for the immense amount of time and energy that I cost you to make this chart!

Will you be keeping it updated as time goes on?
Thanks! Sure i can keep it going for the rest of the season if you folks dont mind a delay of a day or three post match. The hard part is over, i used 3 full sheets of paper filled with charts to catch up though 23 games.

Nemec +1
Villa -1
Mullins -4

the numbers just don't lie
#NemecIn #VillaOut
This stat just shows 1 thing. By no means can you take this stat and build a team with it.

(Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case, 'LOL')

Reactions: SayWhat44
This stat just shows 1 thing. By no means can you take this stat and build a team with it.

(Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case, 'LOL')

I do rate Nemec higher than 95% of this forum but that was #Yumor

Reactions: hatt91
Brovsky was having a great run of form in the previous few weeks before Angelino and Iraola came in. He was stellar vs. the Cosmos and went 120+.

Saunders -2
Facey +4
Villa -1
Mix -3
Grabavoy -5
TMac +5
Jacobson -1
Ballouchy +1
Brovsky -9
Mullins -4
Hernandez -2
KWS -7
Wingert 0
Shelton -5
Poku +4
Allen +2
Nemec +1
Calle -5
Velasquez -2
Alverez -5
Lampard 0
Iriola 0
Pirlo 0
Angelino +1
Mena +1
Great work. Can we add play time to the result? need to normalize it by playing minutes to make it more meaningful. so if you get total play minutes per player, your stats above divided by each's total play time, the resulted ratios will yield us good insight. :)

Ok so i took the above numbers and divided it by min played ( took from the official NYCFC app)

Note: since there a several players at +/- 0, i placed them in decreasing number of minutes played.

Poku .0075
TMac .0061
Mena .0060
Allen .0040
Facey .0036
Angelino .0034
Nemec .0017
Ballouchy .0008

Wingert 0 (1657 min played)
Iraola 0 (360 min played)
Pirlo 0 (123 min played)
Lampard 0 (21 min played)

Jacobson -.0006 (1797 min played)
Villa -.0006 (1589 min played)
Saunders -.0011
Hernandez -.0014
Mix -.0025
Grabavoy -.0035
Velasquez -.0050
Mullins -.0051
Shelton -.0071
Brovsky -.0080
Calle -.0111
KWS -.0127
Alvarez -.0205

Reactions: Lasker
Nice work! But it seems to me that if you want to express these in terms of minutes played it is easier to understand if you do it per 90.

Like so (simply using your data and multiplying):

Poku .674
TMac .549
Mena .54
Allen .36
Facey .324
Angelino .306
Nemec .153
Ballouchy .072

Pirlo 0 (123 min played)

Jacobson -.053 (1797 min played)
Villa -.053 (1589 min played)
Saunders -.099
Hernandez -.126
Mix -.225
Grabavoy -.315
Velasquez -.45
Mullins -.459
Shelton -.639
Brovsky -.72
Calle -.999
KWS -.1.143
Alvarez -.1.845

Reactions: Paul and hatt91
I approve this statistical method as the only viable method for building a team. #villaout #Nemicin

But for real though, that is some great work you put in to make this! I'm seriously impressed, you watched every single minute of play to get this, that is a level of dedication I can only admire. You have 100% inspired me to get off my lazy bum and get cracking.

Does anyone know where I can get data on how many minutes a player has played for NYCFC? I need the data for something I'm cooking up.

I approve this statistical method as the only viable method for building a team. #villaout #Nemicin

But for real though, that is some great work you put in to make this! I'm seriously impressed, you watched every single minute of play to get this, that is a level of dedication I can only admire. You have 100% inspired me to get off my lazy bum and get cracking.

Does anyone know where I can get data on how many minutes a player has played for NYCFC? I need the data for something I'm cooking up.

You can find it on http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/david-villa for some of them, I'm sure there are better sites for sure out there, but this was just like a 2 min search.

Edit: Slightly more searching. http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/19584

Last edited:
Original content is great, but if you really want to be a valued member of this forum you need to pick a couple of members and insult them in every thread they post in.
hatt91 hatt91 you can start with me. I generally have a very self-deprecating sense of humor, so I'll help make fun of me. Trust me, it's way better to insult folks who laugh at themselves than self-assigned geniuses. It promotes healthy exchanges among all without getting you mod warnings for disagreeing with trolling "brainiacs" who only bait and run and cry.

hatt91 hatt91 you can start with me. I generally have a very self-deprecating sense of humor, so I'll help make fun of me. Trust me, it's way better to insult folks who laugh at themselves than self-assigned geniuses. It promotes healthy exchanges among all without getting you mod warnings for disagreeing with trolling "brainiacs" who only bait and run and cry.
Midas, the only thing healthy about you is when you don't post when your drinking.

Nice work! But it seems to me that if you want to express these in terms of minutes played it is easier to understand if you do it per 90.

Like so (simply using your data and multiplying):

Poku .674
TMac .549
Mena .54
Allen .36
Facey .324
Angelino .306
Nemec .153
Ballouchy .072

Pirlo 0 (123 min played)

Jacobson -.053 (1797 min played)
Villa -.053 (1589 min played)
Saunders -.099
Hernandez -.126
Mix -.225
Grabavoy -.315
Velasquez -.45
Mullins -.459
Shelton -.639
Brovsky -.72
Calle -.999
KWS -.1.143
Alvarez -.1.845
To take it even further, and honestly, quite a bit more work, the +/- should be weighted based on minutes played. For example, Grabavoy playing 10 minutes and going -2 in a game is weighted much heavier than playing 90 minutes and going -2.

Like I said, its a ton more work, and work that I'm definitely not going to do, lol