Formation Speculation

We should move him to CF if he's sticking around. Only place he's going to get any minutes for us.

But then Villa doesn't play.

He doesn't fit here anymore unless he can play as the CAM in a box to box role. He won't put in the work. I actually don't mind it anymore. PV has a system - it's coming together. I'm sure PV has had Poku watch the video of what Mikey Lopez does and told him if he wants to play, that's what he needs.

Could you imagine the monster that Poku would be if he played with the tenacity of Lopez?

He doesn't fit here anymore unless he can play as the CAM in a box to box role. He won't put in the work. I actually don't mind it anymore. PV has a system - it's coming together. I'm sure PV has had Poku watch the video of what Mikey Lopez does and told him if he wants to play, that's what he needs.

Could you imagine the monster that Poku would be if he played with the tenacity of Lopez?
Can you imagine Poku passing out in the middle of the field after trying to do what Mikey does for 15 minutes?

We need more than one player at each position. I was going to bring this up in the Mullins discussion too - if we move Mullins, we have no backup striker. Just because there's not a spot in the starting lineup doesn't mean it's not a team need.

There's also a case to be made for Villa-CF-Shelton being a better front than McNamara-Villa-Shelton, depending on the caliber of CF.

We need more than one player at each position. I was going to bring this up in the Mullins discussion too - if we move Mullins, we have no backup striker. Just because there's not a spot in the starting lineup doesn't mean it's not a team need.

There's also a case to be made for Villa-CF-Shelton being a better front than McNamara-Villa-Shelton, depending on the caliber of CF.
No traditional ST maybe. But we would definitely have options: Poku, Mendoza.

Reactions: Kjbert

But then you are also asking Villa to do the defensive work of a winger. So yes, it might be better offensively, but you would likely lose something on the defensive side

Really? Villa hustles like crazy on D.
I agree with that. But, I think it's a little bit different to be hustling on a high press, and occasionally coming back to win balls in midfield, then it would be to be running up and down one sideline and be responsible for marking someone.

That's not to say that I don't think Villa is capable of that, I just don't think that's his best use.

That being said, I think having him play LW is an option we could occasionally use, especially if we need a goal, I just don't think it should be a lineup we look for often

Reactions: Paul and BxLio91
What do we want him to do that? I think keeping the miles off him would be a good idea. I think hes a guy that will play until he cant play at a high level anymore. Keane still looks great for la i hope villa plays just as long.
This is a very valid point. I don't think we necessarily want Villa to do that, but it is an option for a game or two.

#mobilepost

Or we play a 4-3-1-2 and get our width from our fullbacks.
I agree with that. But, I think it's a little bit different to be hustling on a high press, and occasionally coming back to win balls in midfield, then it would be to be running up and down one sideline and be responsible for marking someone.

That's not to say that I don't think Villa is capable of that, I just don't think that's his best use.

That being said, I think having him play LW is an option we could occasionally use, especially if we need a goal, I just don't think it should be a lineup we look for often
Going back to S sbrylski's original statement, I think that it depends on who the CF is. I'm not saying that with our current options it makes sense, I just don't think we'd necessarily be losing anything on D if we happened to surface a CF option that justified moving Villa out to the wing.

I don't know the heat maps, but is it possible that we line-up in a 4-3-3 (at least on the scoreboard) but we actually are playing a 4-2-3-1? It seems like Pirlo and Bravo move in between holding and attacking. Lopez plays in front of both of them. Our "wingers" are tasked with tracking back fully defensively. And Villa is the only one holding up play or not crossing mid-field. Just a thought.

Reactions: adam
I always thought we should try Poku at false forward. The perfect spot where his defensive deficiencies won't hurt us and he can be a lynchpin for Villa and Shelton/Mendoza.

I don't know the heat maps, but is it possible that we line-up in a 4-3-3 (at least on the scoreboard) but we actually are playing a 4-2-3-1? It seems like Pirlo and Bravo move in between holding and attacking. Lopez plays in front of both of them. Our "wingers" are tasked with tracking back fully defensively. And Villa is the only one holding up play or not crossing mid-field. Just a thought.

More like a 4-5-1 V shape or a 4-1-4-1 with attacking fullbacks:

V1LZB7Q.png

Didn't Poku play as a CF against the cosmos?
Can't remember the reported formation but he got into the box a lot - I think it was from deeper runs and when the forward (Mullins?) drifted to the edge opening up the space.

I've really just tried to put that cluster-Fck coached game out of my memory.... That game epitomized everything that was wrong with Kreis.

Didn't Poku play as a CF against the cosmos?

Big Kwad scored two goals that match including a sweet bicycle he set up himself with two touches (ok really he made a great bicycle recovery after a so so second touch). It was on a blazing run right into the middle of the box and at the end of a very nice RJ cross.

I would post a vid. But this is a #mobilepost

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Kwad scored two goals that match including a sweet bicycle he set up himself with two touches (ok really he made a great bicycle recovery after a so so second touch). It was on a blazing run right into the middle of the box and at the end of a very nice RJ cross.

I would post a vid. But this is a #mobilepost
If Kreis hadn't fucked it up, that game would have been a NYCFC classic.