Formation Speculation

Don't forget about this thread: http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/formation-speculation.1104/page-40

I think Mix is still a likely starter, but only by a plurality rather than >50% odds. He has a lot of competition.

I also think Vieira is truly wide open on his tactics. He may prefer a 4-3-3, but our best players are midfielders, not wingers, and our best midfielders (Pirlo, Lampard, and Poku) would be laughably overrun in a 4-3-3.

It's going to be an interesting preseason.
Oops, missed that thread, my bad.

I'm hoping everyone is wrong about Mix being a starter but you never know.

I hope Mix doesn't start. And Jack I think is going to be out for a while which is how they were able to get Bravo (if that is true). JAck would be on the disabled list which frees up his international spot. Once he comes back then the formation would change. But since he's young they might just sit him out for a while and give him a very few minutes to allow him to grow during training instead of throwing him into the furnace.

Bravo is definitely on loan, as far as obtaining him as a sininging in not sure. As far as Jack goes, I hope he isn't that injuryed, instead I hope he gets his green card lol.

Bravo is definitely on loan, as far as obtaining him as a sininging in not sure. As far as Jack goes, I hope he isn't that injuryed, instead I hope he gets his green card lol.
Yeah i was surprised when they said he'd take an international spot. From what I heard before the draft, he wanted to play for NYCFC so I assume he met with them a bit and you'd think it'd come up that they have very few International spots so he should get a green card in preparation. Oh well, hopefully he gets it soon.

upload_2016-1-29_13-48-49.png

Assumptions:

1. PV sees Poku is an 8 and gets him to play like one on the defensive end.
2. Lampard can play the CF role - not natural for him but it frees him from defensive responsibilities
3. Villa can play LW - I know he wants to be central but he's always out there any way, Brove helps cover for him on D.
4. Mix finds a way to succeed on the RW, seems like a long shot but he's done okay there from time to time with the UMNT.

Issues aside I see a lot of positives. Pirlo has his protective shuttlers in Bravo and Poku. Villa has little to no defensive responsibilities.

Reactions: Dreaming_NYC
View attachment 3917

Assumptions:

2. Lampard can play the CF role - not natural for him but it frees him from defensive responsibilities
3. Villa can play LW - I know he wants to be central but he's always out there any way, Brove helps cover for him on D.
4. Mix finds a way to succeed on the RW, seems like a long shot but he's done okay there from time to time with the UMNT.

Issues aside I see a lot of positives. Pirlo has his protective shuttlers in Bravo and Poku. Villa has little to no defensive responsibilities.
When has Mix played on the RW for the USMNT? I know he's played RM in a diamond formation, but thats a farcry from playing RW.

Reactions: Kjbert
View attachment 3917

Assumptions:

Interesting idea, but with Poku's fitness problems, I'd wager that swapping Mix and Poku are our best bets. Really love the formation, though, with that tweak.

Reactions: joe
View attachment 3917

Assumptions:

I actually don't mind Poku hanging back. It might actually benefit him with this "stamina" issue. I think his dribbling, ball control & strength may work well as a holding CAM on the right...let Pirlo do his thing and Brove can cover.

Mullins can spot start or sub in for Lampard in the CF role. Who knows what Mix can do...we'll have to see..but if him and Shelton want to work that RW spot, then fine. You have Mikey and AJ to sub for the mids...Harrison may be able to sub in for Villa once in a while. I like a false 9 set up...I do still prefer a 4-3-2-1 in YS though...but we're on the same page in a way

I like the idea of playing 4-3-3 with Poku as a false 9 and using Villa and Shelton as winger/forwards.

Villa already likes to drift left and between our personnel and narrow pitch we should be playing to our strength in the middle.

Attachments

• NYCFC.PNG
    NYCFC.PNG
    27 KB · Views: 9
On mobile so I won't try to show a formation, but I think it is imperative for the success of this squad to get Pirlo, Mix, Poku, and Lampard on th gulf at the same time. I do like the idea of playing Pirlo deep with Mix and Lampard protecting him with Poku as an attacking mid or false 9. I also wouldn't mind playing Matarrita as a LM/LW if Martinez is the real deal at LB. Get the best players on the field at the same time and shape the team around them.

We all seem to be struggling to find ways to fit our best players into a 4-3-3 yet if we got rid of Frank for a DP right winger most of these issues would go away (disclaimer: I know this isn't going to happen). Instead of forcing Poku into a handful of positions he's not as good at, you just slot him in at CAM. Everything pretty much falls into place from there.

Villa-------------Mullins---------DP RW
--------------------Poku
-----------Mix/Whoever--Pirlo
Mattarita--Mena--Brilliant--Iraola
-----------------Saunders

Reactions: JCMore
This lineup has no natural born American players. Shows you the direction of MLS. Drop the international spots completely. Let the free market reign! Capitalism!
Except that Josh Saunders was born in the US....

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Probably not the spot to point this out, but I think Andoni has more to show this year than any player on the roster. We knew he was talented, albeit a bit aged, but he really struggled at times. Whether that was because of no midfield cover or injury, he has a lot to prove. A full offseason will do him well.

Also, he had the best yellow card of the season last year when he was off the field injured and then ran onto the field to break up a counter without being allowed on by the referee.

Yeah I agree. Mix I'll as least give the benefit of the doubt since he came from a smaller league and is a young guy in NYC but Iraola is coming from a big club and has had success in the past (even in the previous season he was doing well).

Iraola has shown over his career that he can go toe to toe with some pretty great players so he should have performed better.

I Kept my eye on him last season and there were way too many bad plays that ended up costing us big time. I can't remember the specific game but I remember he tried to pass the ball to a CB and the opposing forward was maybe 5 feet out of the path of the ball and he just grabbed it and went in to score a goal (might have been Giovinco actually). A seasoned vet shouldn't be making KWS-level mistakes like that. And yeah that yellow was actually embarrassing for us since that's, again, something a rookie does, not a seasoned vet.