Formation Speculation

The difference between our two fullbacks is Angelino mostly pushes forward when he has the ball or involved with the play...Iraola pushes forward off the ball. AND...Iraola seems to not only not like to track back but he's doesn't like to use any physicality. It's a shame, cause I like him, but he's a liability on defense. Unless JK can reel him in, we're gonna have to play AJ as a RDM. Plus AJ needs to chill going forward a bit too.

Last edited:
If we can have 5 "mids" on the field, in some form of Poku/Mac, Mix, Jacobson, Pirlo and Frank, I wonder where our defensive midfielder sub comes from. Ballouchy? Ned? Say we have a 2-, 3-goal lead and we take out Pirlo or Frank to get more defensive. Could we go 5 in the back? Shift Mix into a defensive position?

Reactions: Kjbert
If we can have 5 "mids" on the field, in some form of Poku/Mac, Mix, Jacobson, Pirlo and Frank, I wonder where our defensive midfielder sub comes from. Ballouchy? Ned? Say we have a 2-, 3-goal lead and we take out Pirlo or Frank to get more defensive. Could we go 5 in the back? Shift Mix into a defensive position?

Jacobson has played all but 6 minutes for us this season, not counting the game and a half missed due to his red card. So not having a sub for Jacobson is not a new issue, and thankfully Jacobson has otherworldly stamina. DM depth might be an offseason priority. For this season, I think we either have Jacobson in, or we don't play with a true DM, just Pirlo as a regista.

I agree with S sbrylski , people complain about Jacobson but one thing you can't knock is his stamina. The guy has no problem going the full 90 every game. I don't think its a big issue. It will be more about a tactical shift than subs. Whoever is left between Mix/Lampard/Pirlo drops lower, Angelino and Iraola are less aggressive about joining the attack. You can sub in any of our higher work rate mids and be fine. Maybe you even sub on Mullins and go to 2 up top to burn clock with hold up play by the forwards.

I'm with you guys in thinking Jacobson continues to go 90 every night. I just wonder if they take Pirlo out after 65-75mins, who would be his sub. I think Mix can jump into his spot and give more defensively than Andrea could. Maybe throwing Grabavoy in there to play box-to-box for 15-25 mins after Pirlo is off might give us enough defensively to handle an onslaught if we're up by a few goals.

As injuries come and go, so will our line ups/formations. But...from what we have all seen and what we all know, with a full squad available...This is the only way to go...tell me I'm wrong.

View attachment 3132

Switch Mix to right mid to help with Iraola cover in my opinion. Also, I'd put Poku in the middle and Frank to the left with the two outside mids playing narrower. I think Poku is best in the middle and Frank is tactically wise enough to make playing on the left go better for us than if Poku was there. Other than that I agree.

As injuries come and go, so will our line ups/formations. But...from what we have all seen and what we all know, with a full squad available...This is the only way to go...tell me I'm wrong.

View attachment 3132
You're wrong.

Hey, you asked for it.

But truly, I'd rather have Poku central. Or a better way of saying it might be that I'd rather have Frank/tommy right and Poku central than vice versa.

I also prefer dropping Jacobsen and bringing on Mullins. See my post in the Pirlo conjecture. I want goals.

None of this matters of course because none of us have Grabavoy in our lineups, so we're all just dreaming even beyond typical message board chatter.

Reactions: kun and gbservis
Switch Mix to right mid to help with Iraola cover in my opinion. Also, I'd put Poku in the middle and Frank to the left with the two outside mids playing narrower. I think Poku is best in the middle and Frank is tactically wise enough to make playing on the left go better for us than if Poku was there. Other than that I agree.
It probably doesn't matter too much because the attacking/outside mids should be somewhat fluid and interchangeable throughout the game. I saw Calle and McNamara switching sides during the last game.

It probably doesn't matter too much because the attacking/outside mids should be somewhat fluid and interchangeable throughout the game. I saw Calle and McNamara switching sides during the last game.

This.

I also think people are losing track of Lampard's core competencies too. He's definitely not going to be doing a lot of running, and it's been said many times over the last year, he's not an attacking midfielder either. He's a central mid with an attacking/distributing mindset, almost a regista like Pirlo. Plus he makes late runs into the box.

So when I draw the 4-2-3-1 up, I definitely would expect the LCM and RCM to play higher and more fluid than Lampard:

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

Poku on for Lampard every time the clock reaches 60'. I prefer Calle starting because he provides more defensively and is much more tactically aware in positioning himself on the field.

This.

I also think people are losing track of Lampard's core competencies too. He's definitely not going to be doing a lot of running, and it's been said many times over the last year, he's not an attacking midfielder either. He's a central mid with an attacking/distributing mindset, almost a regista like Pirlo. Plus he makes late runs into the box.

So when I draw the 4-2-3-1 up, I definitely would expect the LCM and RCM to play higher and more fluid than Lampard:

Poku on for Lampard every time the clock reaches 60'. I prefer Calle starting because he provides more defensively and is much more tactically aware in positioning himself on the field.
Man I'd love to see this lineup. Poku on for Lampard. TMac on for Pirlo. Start games with beauty and ball control. End them with muscle and grit. And don't get me started on a returning to health Shelton.

Does anyone know how to clean drool out of the spaces between the keys on my keyboard?

Man I'd love to see this lineup. Poku on for Lampard. TMac on for Pirlo. Start games with beauty and ball control. End them with muscle and grit. And don't get me started on a returning to health Shelton.

Does anyone know how to clean drool out of the spaces between the keys on my keyboard?
Speaking of Shelton, has there been any news on how far away he is from being game ready? His speed off of the bench is a legit game changer with Pirlo pinging balls his way.

This.

credit removed for bolded statement. He's an 8+ who has played on great teams with lots of cover, so he's popped up and scored a lot. His skillet is valuable, but its value is pretty limited by what is around him.

Eta: tbf, I should have said limited or enhanced by what is around him.

Last edited:
Reactions: kun
Ok ok. A couple responses. I think with the addition of Pirlo, the starting positions are almost irrelevant. They will play the spaces not the places. Whomever is on Iraola's side will have to have a M-H work-rate cause Iraloa is basically playing like a midfielder and not a back. He's a defensive liability. That leaves us with AJ in that spot and Grabavoy backing him up. Pirlo is staying deep. We all know that...but it looks like he is more likely to deviate from his spot to attack rather than defend. That's why I have Mix bookending him with AJ. Mix is a better defender than Calle. AJ's weakness was passing. That's solved. He doesn't have too. Mix will exceed Calle imo next to Pirlo. Yes, Calle had a nice game...but let's not get crazy with him. I have no problem spot starting him for Mix. Who subs for Pirlo? Maybe Ballouchy. I'm done with this Poku stamina talk. The guys a beast. He played balls out for 92 minutes in 90 degree heat. He doesn't need to run all over the place anymore with a possession based game. The chemistry is there already with Pirlo. Why muck it up? Back up? You can have a nice rotation between Poku, Mix, Calle and soon Shelton. Yes Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan id prefer to have Poku in the middle too with Mac on the right...but the fat bastard has to play somewhere. If Pirlo is QB'n this team he loves to play through to the wings. FF can't handle that. I'd rather he hold up top and keep possession in front of the box. Let him be a ball hawk up there. Unfortunately that leaves Mac as the odd man out...with a full health squad. Mac will back FF up, spot start or relieve him....in a perfect world FF wouldn't be here dicking us around and we'd have an open DP to use or save till next year. I think this is our mid group. 10 guys for 5 spots. More than enough to go around and keep guys fresh.

That all being said. I agree with and don't oppose to most of the other suggestions too. JK has options and we are stacked at midfield, so it's prob gonna be a lone striker scenario. What he does with FF is the elephant in the room. He will base his lineup on fitness and practice performance. I hope. Rather than his gut. Either way, as long as Grabavoy, Wingert and Alverez no longer start...we'll be fine.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
credit removed for bolded statement. He's an 8+ who has played on great teams with lots of cover, so he's popped up and scored a lot. His skillet is valuable, but its value is pretty limited by what is around him.

Eta: tbf, I should have said limited or enhanced by what is around him.

Note I said "almost." As in, he's a playmaker, but not in an advanced 10 position. He was an 8, when he had the legs for it to go full box-to-box. So what can you call him? A playmaker that generally hangs out in the middle of the field, creeping late into box. In other words, almost a regista.

You don't have to play right in front of the defense to be a regista. My defintion is a playmaker who sits behind the runners and dictates play and distributes. You can do that from CM.