Garbers Statement On Nycfc And Lampard

Nothing really surprising about the statement. Of course he's going to play it off as a non-issue.

What do you expect to hear?

The guy that made the call is the CEO of ManC and NYCFC.

I don't know why you would expect Kreis or Reyna to hop to the media and start trashing their boss if they value their jobs...

I can understand Reyna keeping quiet because (surprise!) he's a MCFC guy and this is his first job as Director of Football for a club. But Kreis saying nothing is surprising to me because his character is to call out bullshit, plus he could land a new MLS coaching job tomorrow.

I can understand Reyna keeping quiet because (surprise!) he's a MCFC guy and this is his first job as Director of Football for a club. But Kreis saying nothing is surprising to me because his character is to call out bullshit, plus he could land a new MLS coaching job tomorrow.
Makes you wonder if the gag is coming from CFG and Garber. Garber/MLS gets paid to post hoc legislate this action into acceptable behavior, Kreis is told to keep his mouth shut or else be suspended by the league in addition to being subject to the anger of his employers.

If that's the case, it would make sense that he's quiet. It's not like American managers are respected very much elsewhere. Look at Bob Bradley. He's won everywhere he's been and coached a national team that reached top 5 in FIFA ranking (yeah, those are bs, but still), and all he could get is a supposed relegation fodder squad in Norway. Of course, he promptly led that team to far exceed expectations.

For all the talk of anti-American bias against players, it's far worse for coaches getting the top gig in major euro leagues. I say all this to just reiterate the point that Kreis may very well have his hands cuffed in addition to his gag.

I'm waiting to see what happens and what is said, if anything, this first post holiday week. I think the radio silence and spotty sound bytes like this have been troubling (though much of it expected), but crunch time starts tomorrow for me.

Reactions: Drainyoo and Kjbert
What do you expect this guy to say and why ?

I am sure he has a job somewhere but he is fuck all to do with the club, he is merely a league rep

Reactions: JayH
And it was bloody freezing cold

At least he was solid, a win is a win is a win, in the hat MrE

Not sure too many NYCFC fans would have been too impressed

win is a win, preaching to the converted luv
Freezing...... ditto
Solid... in stature.... Distribution 3/10

As reported in UK

Frank Lampard is to leave Manchester City at the end of the season and finally join his new club New York City in July.
Despite Lampard’s excellent form for Manuel Pellegrini’s side, the midfielder has made it clear he wants to take up the challenge of playing MLS when his loan spell ends in England.
There had been fears at New York City and within MLS that Lampard, 36, would be tempted to remain at the Etihad beyond the end of the season.

As reported in UK

Frank Lampard is to leave Manchester City at the end of the season and finally join his new club New York City in July.
Despite Lampard’s excellent form for Manuel Pellegrini’s side, the midfielder has made it clear he wants to take up the challenge of playing MLS when his loan spell ends in England.
There had been fears at New York City and within MLS that Lampard, 36, would be tempted to remain at the Etihad beyond the end of the season.

Due to the fact that Frank has not recently spoken to the media or publicly reiterated his interest in NYCFC, I am inclined to believe that the bold quote above could easily refer to statements made during his fraudulent media campaign in NYC. Fool me once...

Makes you wonder if the gag is coming from CFG and Garber. Garber/MLS gets paid to post hoc legislate this action into acceptable behavior, Kreis is told to keep his mouth shut or else be suspended by the league in addition to being subject to the anger of his employers.

If that's the case, it would make sense that he's quiet. It's not like American managers are respected very much elsewhere. Look at Bob Bradley. He's won everywhere he's been and coached a national team that reached top 5 in FIFA ranking (yeah, those are bs, but still), and all he could get is a supposed relegation fodder squad in Norway. Of course, he promptly led that team to far exceed expectations.

For all the talk of anti-American bias against players, it's far worse for coaches getting the top gig in major euro leagues. I say all this to just reiterate the point that Kreis may very well have his hands cuffed in addition to his gag.

We just don't know what happen or who is gagged if at all and this is the problem. If CFG think that Lampard is just going to show up and it will be fine they need to wake up. CFG needs to set the record straight. However, most likely they are just going to hope it goes away, having due to lack of transparency coursed a lot of ill feeling.

What does the fine print say?

It would seem to me if City simply choose not to have Frank on NYCFC, for whatever reason, at all in 2015 that would open them up to false advertisement lawsuits.

Not really. Teams often put players in advertising that they end up selling before the season starts. Southampton sold half the team to Liverpool.

You can be disappointed, but there has never been a guarantee that any player advertised will actually play a minute once the season starts.

however I do think we have a way for NYCFC to "rebuild trust" and the commish said today.
While I respect your reasonable tone, I really don't know how much I'll trust this club going forward. Because they'd just take my money if I cancelled my tickets at this stage, I don't know that I'll cancel. But I can't really trust the front office to make decisions that are right for this club on the club's merit.

I don't like people who lie to me. That's pretty fundamental.

Not really. Teams often put players in advertising that they end up selling before the season starts. Southampton sold half the team to Liverpool.

You can be disappointed, but there has never been a guarantee that any player advertised will actually play a minute once the season starts.
When you're lying about a signing that was made, that absolutely opens you up to issues. It's not that he won't play - that's a black and white argument that I'm not surprised you're making. The issue is that they represented it as a signing and loan agreement, when there was absolutely no signing made - he wasn't signed to an NYCFC contract. Period.

They advertised a player as signed, listed him on the website as signed, and told season ticket holders that the player was signed through the account rep team. Yet the guy wasn't ever signed to NYCFC.

That's false advertisement. It just is.

Reactions: mgarbowski and Paul
If Kreis is angry and feels he's been lied to then surely he's got a case for legal action himself? As also stated its not like he would have issues finding work. My impression is he's obviously annoyed but still feels the huge opportunity is there and he's not an idiot. Silence speaks volumes just as much as commenting which in Reyna's case just made him look like an ass kisser. That's the positives that could (not saying should) be taken from Garber's statement even if he is a corporate stooge with so called "family" values. The level of investment and the fact that there MUST have been a reason for choosing New York. No offence to a city like Sacramento but the backlash might not be quite as high there. The New York public are a different matter.

I believe 2 major things will go the longest way to rectifying the situation. The first would be the announcement of a major stadium deal and within the next few months. If they don't do that or its not within city limits then everything may as well be doomed with both unthinkable for the majority. I can hardly blame anyone if they are a bit disbelieving at the moment though. The second would be replacing Lampard with a different DP which might be the closest to a "win win" situation. The third to an extent would be success in the 1st year (not essentially winning perhaps a playoff run would placate many) but really that's about the manager and players who aren't at fault in the first place.

If the investment (you could say Villa has proven that to some extent) and stadium are forthcoming and on the scale promised then we will see why New York was chosen. I can't see why anyone would be so utterly stupid to screw this up in the long term. Whatever the case I'll never understand how they could have screwed up so badly over Lampard. It will just seem even more bemusing if the other promises prove to be true.

And it certainly doesn't do much for building trust.

And it certainly violates the spirit of rules banning 3rd party ownerhsip. Let's hope uefa or the fa or whomever can close this loophole since our own league will do nothing to protect its teams.

It is not a third party ownership issue. TPO is banned and has always been banned by the FA. UEFA have brought in a framework of legislation to ban it within the next year. With TPO the player's contract is owned or partially owned, by a non-footballing entity, such as a management company. For example the recent purchase of Mangala was split between some payment to Porto (who owned 56.67% of the contract) and Doyen Sport (who owned 33.33% of the contract) and another entity (who owned 10.00% of the contract). TPO is not illegal in mainly Latin countries.

What has happened here is possibly a co-ownership deal, although because of the wall of silence, much of this is guesswork. FL was a free player and there were no ownership of his contract issues. Co-ownership is also being phased out.

As for protection of MLS clubs, please tell me if i have misunderstood, has some protection in the alien world (to us) of "discovery rights". I have been led to believe this is to stop bidding wars for players and to try and keep costs down for the club's budgets as the league develops. I realise in this case NYCFC have been shafted again as money has gone on a player who is not here but at some point, money must come into NYCFC as another team stumble into a NYCFC "discovery" player. Please tell me there is a list.

It is not a third party ownership issue. TPO is banned and has always been banned by the FA. UEFA have brought in a framework of legislation to ban it within the next year. With TPO the player's contract is owned or partially owned, by a non-footballing entity, such as a management company. For example the recent purchase of Mangala was split between some payment to Porto (who owned 56.67% of the contract) and Doyen Sport (who owned 33.33% of the contract) and another entity (who owned 10.00% of the contract). TPO is not illegal in mainly Latin countries.

What has happened here is possibly a co-ownership deal, although because of the wall of silence, much of this is guesswork. FL was a free player and there were no ownership of his contract issues. Co-ownership is also being phased out.

As for protection of MLS clubs, please tell me if i have misunderstood, has some protection in the alien world (to us) of "discovery rights". I have been led to believe this is to stop bidding wars for players and to try and keep costs down for the club's budgets as the league develops. I realise in this case NYCFC have been shafted again as money has gone on a player who is not here but at some point, money must come into NYCFC as another team stumble into a NYCFC "discovery" player. Please tell me there is a list.

First, to say there is possibly a co-ownership deal is to agree that there is a 3rd party ownership problem when we get to the heart of it, isn't it? It seems as though his contract was structured (legally, it appears) in such a way as to give ownership rights to CFG rather than either club. Think of a partnership where two parties "own" half (the specific equity split doesn't matter) of a company. If they contractually subrogate their rights of control and profits to a third party, who is the constructive owner, really? There's a pretty good argument that it's not either of the two partners.

As for the discovery list, yes, each team submits a confidential list of 10 (I think) players. It is pretty ridiculous in the context of every other league, but it's part of the structure that allowed the league to avoid getting into another mutually assured destruction situation such as what happened to the real Cosmos and NASL. As I mentioned elsewhere, I think much of the oddness of the MLS acquisition process is intended to be somewhat temporary. As the league continues to become more and more self-sustaining from a revenue perspective, more and more of these regulations will likely be dropped (at least most of us hope so).

As it stands now, that's probably a lot of the reason we as supporters don't get off on CFG's deep pockets quite as much as you guys. For us, that advantage is largely neutralized by the league's structure. Having a manager like Kreis, who has operated under this structure and built a title winner and regular contender in what amounts to the middle of the desert, is vastly more important than unlimited financial resources. (Now, the deep pockets probably didn't hurt when it came to using compensation to help convince him to give it a go at doing it again, but I think the point still stands.)

For me anyway, seeing Kreis have no voice in this mess (that we can tell, anyway) is probably as disappointing as any part of Lampardgate. Why hire such a proven and skilled manager if you're going to neuter his effectiveness by playing 3-card monte with one (let's hope it's one) of his key pieces?

Last edited:
First, to say there is possibly a co-ownership deal is to agree that there is a 3rd party ownership problem when we get to the heart of it, isn't it? It seems as though his contract was structured (legally, it appears) in such a way as to give ownership rights to CFG rather than either club. Think of a partnership where two parties "own" half (the specific equity split doesn't matter) of a company. If they contractually subrogate their rights of control and profits to a third party, who is the constructive owner, really? There's a pretty good argument that it's not either of the two partners.

As for the discovery list, yes, each team submits a confidential list of 10 (I think) players. It is pretty ridiculous in the context of every other league, but it's part of the structure that allowed the league to avoid getting into another mutually assured destruction situation such as what happened to the real Cosmos and NASL. As I mentioned elsewhere, I think much of the oddness of the MLS acquisition process is intended to be somewhat temporary. As the league continues to become more and more self-sustaining from a revenue perspective, more and more of these regulations will likely be dropped (at least most of us hope so).

As it stands now, that's probably a lot of the reason we as supporters don't get off on CFG's deep pockets quite as much as you guys. For us, that advantage is largely neutralized by the league's structure. Having a manager like Kreis, who has operated under this structure and built a title winner and regular contender in what amounts to the middle of the desert, is vastly more important than unlimited financial resources. (Now, the deep pockets probably didn't hurt when it came to using compensation to help convince him to give it a go at doing it again, but I think the point still stands.)

For me anyway, seeing Kreis have no voice in this mess (that we can tell, anyway) is probably as disappointing as any part of Lampardgate. Why hire such a proven and skilled manager if you're going to neuter his effectiveness by playing 3-card monte with one (let's hope it's one) of his key pieces?

Taking each point in turn:

Whilst your analysis for ownership is sound, it is a clear cut (rightly or wrongly) decision. If the two or three partners are football, (NYCFC, CFG and MCFC are limited to football only) it's co ownership. If a player was owned by NYCFC and some investing arms of say WalMart, its TPO. The other faction is the Third Party. Doyen Sport to keep the example above is part of a large financing company who are based in Ireland (Their tax rates for businesses are low).

As strange as the discovery list sounds, it has been seemed to be a success. This model of the MSL (for and the ups and downs) has done very well and the standard has risen whilst keeping clubs afloat. A tricky balance. The next one will be dropping that as the league becomes mainstream, however, by that time there is every chance with the sponsorship money flying around in American sport, the MSL would be more than able to stand up for itself.

Great point about why the funds available aren't that impressive at the moment. Great to have a pile cash, waste of time if you cannot touch it. I'll bet you no-one from this side would have thought of that, as the discovery rule is as yet, undiscovered. (sorry for that pun)

I don't know much about Kreis, what i have read seems all good to go but yeah, his silence cannot be ignored. The draft error was some blunder however, if i have this right, David Villa has come, so that is some compensation.

Anyhow thanks for a great response, without doubt i have had my "learn something new everyday" moment. It's going to be interesting watching this season unfold. There are unknowns on and off the pitch.