Great Atmosphere For The Seattle Game

Agreed. The "puto" chants need to stop although I did hear some people shout "you suck!" instead. Let's keep it classy NY.

Reactions: Goodfella
Agreed. The "puto" chants need to stop although I did hear some people shout "you suck!" instead. Let's keep it classy NY.

yet we seem to continue the "fuck you (enter team name here)" chant alive every single game...
and the "asshole" chant

Reactions: jguab2
yet we seem to continue the "fuck you (enter team name here)" chant alive every single game...
and the "asshole" chant

You have a point however nothing compares to a "puto" chant after every single goal kick taken by the opposing team's goalie. Also, just to be clear I just finished watching the re-run of Sunday's game and the chants reminded me of how ridiculous it sounds during every MEX vs USA game. Absurd and most of all annoying.

Last edited:
You have a point however nothing compares to a "puto" chant after every single goal kick taken by the opposing team's goalie. Also, just to be clear I just finished watching the re-run of Sunday's game and the chants reminded me of how ridiculous it sounds during every MEX vs USA games. Absurd and most of all annoying.

this is new york, we have spanish/latino people, mexican or not thats the only thing i can think of lol

Hasn't this been going on at every game? From my seats, I have heard it consistently throughout the season so far. I personally don't care what people say, humans are pretty stupid in general, but I'm surprised this is now a thing?

I don't remember where I saw it mentioned, but what about cheering on Saunders when he kicks it, instead of the opposing keeper? Start with the crescendo-ing "hhheeeeEEEYYYY", and then just chose a different word. Can even be Spanish.

Reactions: Drainyoo and Lasker
Shitbird. Shit bag. Douche. Douchebag. Douche cracker.

Fart sniffer. Taint sniffer. Shit sipper.

Bum fucker. Dumb fuck. Tea cup.

Any of these would be great insults. However, I think we should go with the one insult that is most subject matter appropriate:

BROVSKY!

Actually, we can just shout that after a shank. HeeeeeeEEEEYYYYYYY, Douche bag! (Ball shanked into touch) BROVSKIED!

Reactions: jguab2 and Drainyoo
I was on the other end and didn't hear the puto chants, but I wasn't really listening for them. When Frei was on our end, it was quiet enough for me to heckle him and for him to hear it. (He would visibly turn his head when I shouted his name).

Things were quieter and less organized toward the end of the game, but as people have pointed out, there was good reason for that.

Yeah, the atmosphere was quiet in the second half, but with good reason - we were getting it handed to us.

I expect the majority of the crowd to quiet down but not the supporters section. There were definitely some folks trying to keep it going but it seemed like they couldn't get more than a dozen people together on anything.

I don't remember where I saw it mentioned, but what about cheering on Saunders when he kicks it, instead of the opposing keeper? Start with the crescendo-ing "hhheeeeEEEYYYY", and then just chose a different word. Can even be Spanish.

i think i heard some attempting this in the second half since thats when saunders was in front of us. Not sure if this was really what they were saying but it sounded like it.

Reactions: The Toe
Hasn't this been going on at every game? From my seats, I have heard it consistently throughout the season so far. I personally don't care what people say, humans are pretty stupid in general, but I'm surprised this is now a thing?

i sort of heard it during the portland game but i didnt think it was that many people ( i was standing in one of the supporters section) however i sat in another section for this game and man i really heard it clearly especially in the second half coming across the field from other goal where Frei was in second half. so it was more like general fans not SG.

in terms of it being a thing, i guess people hear it on TV so they say it in games?

Reactions: JGriff217
i sort of heard it during the portland game but i didnt think it was that many people ( i was standing in one of the supporters section) however i sat in another section for this game and man i really heard it clearly especially in the second half coming across the field from other goal where Frei was in second half. so it was more like general fans not SG.

in terms of it being a thing, i guess people hear it on TV so they say it in games?
I noticed several other countries picking it up at the WC. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that some folks grew up saying it.

I mean, we could say it is a positive sign that our club is leading the way for MLS finally penetrating the Hispanic market.

It doesn't bother me too much either way. I don't even know what it means, so that may be why.

Reactions: JGriff217
I noticed several other countries picking it up at the WC. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that some folks grew up saying it.

I mean, we could say it is a positive sign that our club is leading the way for MLS finally penetrating the Hispanic market.

It doesn't bother me too much either way. I don't even know what it means, so that may be why.

oh for sure there are those that grew up saying it, but in terms of new people saying it is what i meant when i said people probably picked it up watching TV. I think i even saw a youtube video during the world cup couple of Japanese ladies ( i think they were japanese) saying it, obviously not knowing what it means.

From where I was sitting at the game (Section 208), I have to say, the energy level of the fans around me was quite good. Even when we fell behind and the game was pretty much out of reach, people were still cheering and clapping for the team, no one got quiet or left early.

this is new york, we have spanish/latino people, mexican or not thats the only thing i can think of lol

The "puto" chant originally comes from Mexico. I know this beause I also follow international CONMEBOL/CONCACAF matches and I only hear this ridiculous chant when a Mexican team (and NT) is playing at a home venue. The small number of Mexicans that come to the home games HAD to be the ones that started it. Nothing against them don't get me wrong, I have a latino side myself, I just really wouldn't like my local NYC supporters shouting that. It isn't funny at all to call the opposing GK a "fag" everytime he takes a goal kick. One thing is to tease the whole club/visiting supporters but to get personal with the GK by calling him that throughout the game is just plain stupid.

The "puto" chant originally comes from Mexico. I know this beause I also follow international CONMEBOL/CONCACAF matches and I only hear this ridiculous chant when a Mexican team (and NT) is playing at a home venue. The small number of Mexicans that come to the home games HAD to be the ones that started it. Nothing against them don't get me wrong, I have a latino side myself, I just really wouldn't like my local NYC supporters shouting that. It isn't funny at all to call the opposing GK a "fag" everytime he takes a goal kick. One thing is to tease the whole club/visiting supporters but to get personal with the GK by calling him that throughout the game is just plain stupid.

lol at this rate its not limited to Mexican fans only ( if there are even that many, I am honestly not sure there would be that many to begin with. Its not like there is a big draw for them as no known player like when C. Blanco when he was in Chicago, and no Pineda is not someone they would go see, he has not been part of the NT for years now).

This has been heard all over now (due to TV) and picked up by others as well ( maybe even non latinos). I have seen salvadorians/ honduran, colombian, peruvians at games. Just this past game vs seattle there was quite a big amount of Guatemalans based on jerseys/ flags i saw at stadium. They all most likely went to see Pappa more than anything.

Last edited:

yes, originally from mexico... but its a spanish word. and like you said... small number of mexicans, but we have half the stadium chanting it... thats more than a small number of mexicans. its a phase we're going through... securitas has a lot of people to throw out.

I always thought puto meant man-whore, or male jiggalo ... like deuce bigalow. That beong said not a fan cause it looks silly and I like the usmnt

I always thought puto meant man-whore, or male jiggalo ... like deuce bigalow. That beong said not a fan cause it looks silly and I like the usmnt

by definition you are correct. however, the connotation of it is what many know already.

damn you Ralf Catougno my Italian Spanish teacher teaching me all the non-slang definitions ... he used to say "Sienta te maricon puto!"

Reactions: danger