Hearts Of Oak

Without having to e-mail, what are you guys actually about besides vague descriptions? I mean that in the nicest way possible, not trying to be snarky. And secondly, are you going to be mainly meeting in Queens? Just trying to figure out what's going on here exactly...

You have to be vouched for by a member, and provide references (that they will email) and do a little essay.
I see. That's a more hard core approach where the memebership is earned/recommended rather than bought. I think some European SC's operate that way. I can respect that and from their side will work as they're not concerned about being the biggest.

Without having to e-mail, what are you guys actually about besides vague descriptions? I mean that in the nicest way possible, not trying to be snarky. And secondly, are you going to be mainly meeting in Queens? Just trying to figure out what's going on here exactly...

We want to create the feeling of having a supporter group that is also your football family. We want HoO to be your NYC football brotherhood (or sisterhood, as we do have some incredible ladies in our ranks as well!).

We can't stress it enough. We aren't in it for the big numbers. We think we'll grow bigger as the time comes, but we won't force it. We want people who actually watch/attend the matches, and care about football in our city.

You'll see more about us in the coming days. We're not being intentionally vague, we're just not going to put everything out there. There's something to be said about having a membership that has access to more information than the general public. Having said that, as we launch more images and make more public statements.... we're confident you'll get a feel for what we're about.

We won't just be in Queens. The early meetups were located where they were, simply because we attached ourselves to events being orchestrated by pre-existing groups, and have members that crossover with some of those social groups. It's very early in our existence, and it was the fastest way to get involved.

Currently, we have a location in the Hudson Valley (a microbrewery) for meetings/watch parties, about an hour north of NYC. We also have a location in the Bronx (a microbrewery), multiple options in Queens and one of our members will be opening up a bar in Manhattan. I'd say that's a pretty impressive list, considering we've been public for a couple of weeks. :) We're working on securing a Yankee Stadium pregame location, and have narrowed it down to a couple of options.

We'll be holding down a nice chunk of Section 238, so if you get the chance, swing by and grab a beer with us. Or, if you'd like, keep your eyes peeled for the next event!

Thanks for the interest, and for not being snarky! We appreciate it!

I received the Membership Application via email and I feel it's going to turn a lot of people off, which backs up you previous statement:

Thank you for requesting an application!

We've got a few founding members that have gone through various membership application processes. The most genuine support, across the board, came from the groups which made it slightly more difficult to join. There's a place for mass support and a large online membership in the sport. It helps grow the game, and for that we are thankful. However, it's not for us. We've found that answering a couple questions (with a sentence or two), and providing a few email addresses is not difficult, and if it turns someone away - - - they probably weren't meant for Hearts of Oak.

Doesn't that mean all members have to be local? Not sure how else you can meet a current member and ask them to sponsor you.

Every application gets reviewed, and a decision is made on a case-by-case basis. Most members will be local initially, as that's how a grassroots support network grows. We want our core supporters to start from the area in and around our city. Having said that, if someone was interested and not able to get to NY, I'd recommend contacting us, filling out an application, and discussing the situation.

We recently accepted an application from an awesome guy, and incredible supporter who will be supporting NYCFC from 2,000 miles away in the immediate future.

Every application gets reviewed, and a decision is made on a case-by-case basis. Most members will be local initially, as that's how a grassroots support network grows. We want our core supporters to start from the area in and around our city. Having said that, if someone was interested and not able to get to NY, I'd recommend contacting us, filling out an application, and discussing the situation.

We recently accepted an application from an awesome guy, and incredible supporter who will be supporting NYCFC from 2,000 miles away in the immediate future.
Thank you for your response. Any communication I've seen from HoO has been thorough - which is refreshing to see.

My hesitation stems from being located on Long Island which might make it difficult for certain in-person activity - but seeing as how you have someone from 2,ooo miles away, helped ease my initial feelings.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. Any communication I've seen from HoO has been thorough - which is refreshing to see.

My hesitation stems from being locationed on Long Island which might make it difficult for certain in-person activity - but seeing as how you have someone from 2,ooo miles away, helped ease my initial feelings.

I'm from LI too. How about a 2 man LI chapter? Got to start somewhere

It was a great night! It's a shame that many of our members couldn't make it to the bar because of the snow. Guys from the Hudson Valley, Connecticut and New Jersey all had to take a raincheck.

To those who did make it, it was great to see everyone. Those Cosmos lads were very entertaining - - - and aside from one significant flaw, they seemed like pretty good guys.

We will be soon be announcing our location for the March 8th watch party, along with a bunch of other exciting news!

Forza Celeste!
awesome id be interested in joining you guys for a game or two, never thought about joining a SG but you guys seem interesting, would like to watch some games to check you guys out