Home - 03/15 New England Revolution

Great first game. Whatever Kreis said in the locker room at half time worked, totally different team in 2nd half. Does Mullins have a lucky charm or what? I liked what I saw from Velasquez versus Ballouchy. I say keep the formation exactly the same for game #3. I'm not convinced yet that Nemec is a lost cause. Shelton and Mulllins are game changers but why not keep using a working formula before changing it up.

Last edited:
Not giving up on Nemec neither.
I agree. But he really almost looks like he caught Jozy's black cat fever, but 10x worse because he actually get a chance a game instead of a chance a season.

Mullins and Shelton have to get more time. They deliver. Shelton is good in that he's sort of sneaky with the ball without being great technically. Mullins is similar in his movement and decision making. Basically, they are each like half of Deuce.

Half of Deuce, right now, > all of Nemec.

Went to the game and had a great time. First half, although we scored NE had a ton of opportunities and play was more even. Second half different story. Nemec, really lacks touch. Shelton looked really fast live. A step above most. Velasquez defensively needs to stop anticipating crosses and just play his man solidly. If he does that, he does enough on the offensive side to be a playmaker.

After the game it was fun seeing the city beats i believe they were called? Chanting and dancing. Good game and good time.

Reactions: Kjbert
Player ratings

Saunders - 6
Did what you would expect once again. Hard to tell what happened with that weird save with his legs in the first half - couldn't tell if he completely messed up his positioning and ended up saving with his legs, or if the ball took a deflection that took it away from his hands, but either way I was terrified. Distribution was average, but was glad to see him looking to play it short more often. Is already the most over-rated player in NYCFC history.

Williams - 6
Struggled to keep tabs on Tierney (who had an excellent game), but did what was required of him. Can't say I noticed him do too much of anything the entire game.

Hernandez - 7
Really impressed with his ability on the ball, and his calming influence on the back line. Looks like the leader of the back four - strong in the air, and I feel comfortable whenever he's in possession.

Wingert - 6
Pretty shaky at times, lost his marker several times in the first half, and I have no idea how we got away with it as often as we did. Also guilty of a few miskicked clearances and misplaced passes which put us under unnecessary pressure, but seemed to be pretty solid defending from set pieces.

Brovsky - 7
This week's most improved player - was tidy in possession, and kept things moving going forward. Showed some really nice touches and close control, and seems to have made a conscious effort not to dive in so much - there was one moment in the first half where a NE player was running at him and almost put the ball onto his toes, but he still didn't dive in! Was very unlucky not to have scored in the second half, and I am very sad that we will never get that goal celebration.

Velasquez - 7
Our best player in the first half, showed more confidence and quality on the ball than any other player. Always looking to create space for himself or take players on, he bought us the directness on the wing that we were so sorely lacking last week. Link-up play with Villa was a joy to watch at times, they could absolutely destroy lesser fullbacks than Tierney this year. Might not be fully match fit as he faded in the second half, but the way he evaded those two NE players in the corner in the second half was my favorite part of the game.

Jacobson - 6
I can honestly say I do not remember a single thing this guy did all game. I blame Goose Island IPA for this, but ultimately, for a player in Jacobson's role, if you don't notice him, and the opposition don't score, he probably did OK.

Diskerud - 7
Came under a lot more scrutiny than he did last week, and therefore wasn't able to run riot like he did against Orlando, but he's still the beating heart of this team, and whenever we do something good, he's usually close by. I didn't expect his work rate to be so high - his constant tracking back is crucial, and when he gets in possession he almost seems to create extra time for himself on the ball. His ability to break up play and turn the tide in our favor is game-changing.

Grabavoy - 7
Other than Mix, no other player in our midfield is capable of taking a touch, taking a breath, seeing the right pass, and making it. He's not a flashy player, but he knows when to keep it simple, and his quality on the ball means that so many of our good moves come through him. You could really tell what kind of player he can be when NE went down to 10 men - his 1-2's were beautiful to watch.

Nemec - 6
I was generous with my rating last week, this week I'm being harsh. Yes, he missed a couple of painfully easy chances, and I was furious with him for that. Yes, he gave the ball away a few times when seemingly under no pressure whatsoever. But it seems like the fans are ready to cast this guy out altogether, and we're simply not giving him enough credit for all the other things he does for this team. No-one else on the roster is capable of holding the ball up like he does - and he did this as well in the second half as any target man you'll see this season. Last week he completely failed to bring Villa into the game - this week, he was constantly winning flick-ons and long balls, laying it off to Villa and Velasquez and generally creating havoc. Add on to that his two solid clearing headers from NE corners, and he was probably one of our best players in the second half. But hey, he missed a couple of chances and he's from Europe, BOOOOOOO

Villa - 8 (MOTM)
Last week we saw what happened when a team manages to nullify the David Villa threat - it wasn't fun. This week we saw what happened when a team doesn't managed that - I had a grin the size of Madison Square Garden on my face. I have no idea how he didn't score a hat-trick today, and we can only hope his finishing improves as the season goes on (although props to Shuttleworth for one of the best saves I've ever seen from that second half volley), but he dominated this game today. His confidence on the ball was supreme - he beat players for fun, brought in team-mates, scored goals, set up goals, threatened from corners, threatened from free kicks. That touch before he set up the second goal was a thing of beauty, and he will pulverize weaker teams with that kind of talent later in the season.

Shelton - 7
After seeing him terrify defenses for two straight weeks with his raw pace, it's tempting to see Shelton as the ultimate super-sub, a dynamo to throw at tired full backs midway through the second half. But after seeing how well he did today, how do you keep him out of the starting XI? His speed would be impressive enough, but his ability and confidence on the ball is even more encouraging - he just doesn't look out of his depth at all. From the moment he started running at Goncalves, you just knew it wasn't going to end well. This kid is going to score bucketloads of goals for us, and it's going to be so much damn fun.

Facey - 6
Goose Island IPA

Mullins - 7
He's a striker, and he came off the bench and scored. You really can't ask for much more than that. Not sure what else he would offer us that Nemec couldn't in a partnership with Villa, but I'm happy for him.

The opposition
Well, they completely destroyed us in the first half. Barring a shaky first 10 minutes where we looked very dangerous, they were in complete control, and they could have sealed the game by half-time - how they didn't score, I may never know. Clearly they set out to stifle Mix in the midfield, but the space that afforded Villa was fatal to them in the end, and they just didn't adjust to the sending off at all. They should have a good season - was a lot more impressed with them then Orlando, that's for sure. Couldn't hear their fans at all, mind.

Player ratings

Saunders - 6
Did what you would expect once again. Hard to tell what happened with that weird save with his legs in the first half - couldn't tell if he completely messed up his positioning and ended up saving with his legs, or if the ball took a deflection that took it away from his hands, but either way I was terrified. Distribution was average, but was glad to see him looking to play it short more often. Is already the most over-rated player in NYCFC history.

Williams - 6
Struggled to keep tabs on Tierney (who had an excellent game), but did what was required of him. Can't say I noticed him do too much of anything the entire game.

Hernandez - 7
Really impressed with his ability on the ball, and his calming influence on the back line. Looks like the leader of the back four - strong in the air, and I feel comfortable whenever he's in possession.

Wingert - 6
Pretty shaky at times, lost his marker several times in the first half, and I have no idea how we got away with it as often as we did. Also guilty of a few miskicked clearances and misplaced passes which put us under unnecessary pressure, but seemed to be pretty solid defending from set pieces.

Brovsky - 7
This week's most improved player - was tidy in possession, and kept things moving going forward. Showed some really nice touches and close control, and seems to have made a conscious effort not to dive in so much - there was one moment in the first half where a NE player was running at him and almost put the ball onto his toes, but he still didn't dive in! Was very unlucky not to have scored in the second half, and I am very sad that we will never get that goal celebration.

Velasquez - 7
Our best player in the first half, showed more confidence and quality on the ball than any other player. Always looking to create space for himself or take players on, he bought us the directness on the wing that we were so sorely lacking last week. Link-up play with Villa was a joy to watch at times, they could absolutely destroy lesser fullbacks than Tierney this year. Might not be fully match fit as he faded in the second half, but the way he evaded those two NE players in the corner in the second half was my favorite part of the game.

Jacobson - 6
I can honestly say I do not remember a single thing this guy did all game. I blame Goose Island IPA for this, but ultimately, for a player in Jacobson's role, if you don't notice him, and the opposition don't score, he probably did OK.

Diskerud - 7
Came under a lot more scrutiny than he did last week, and therefore wasn't able to run riot like he did against Orlando, but he's still the beating heart of this team, and whenever we do something good, he's usually close by. I didn't expect his work rate to be so high - his constant tracking back is crucial, and when he gets in possession he almost seems to create extra time for himself on the ball. His ability to break up play and turn the tide in our favor is game-changing.

Grabavoy - 7
Other than Mix, no other player in our midfield is capable of taking a touch, taking a breath, seeing the right pass, and making it. He's not a flashy player, but he knows when to keep it simple, and his quality on the ball means that so many of our good moves come through him. You could really tell what kind of player he can be when NE went down to 10 men - his 1-2's were beautiful to watch.

Nemec - 6
I was generous with my rating last week, this week I'm being harsh. Yes, he missed a couple of painfully easy chances, and I was furious with him for that. Yes, he gave the ball away a few times when seemingly under no pressure whatsoever. But it seems like the fans are ready to cast this guy out altogether, and we're simply not giving him enough credit for all the other things he does for this team. No-one else on the roster is capable of holding the ball up like he does - and he did this as well in the second half as any target man you'll see this season. Last week he completely failed to bring Villa into the game - this week, he was constantly winning flick-ons and long balls, laying it off to Villa and Velasquez and generally creating havoc. Add on to that his two solid clearing headers from NE corners, and he was probably one of our best players in the second half. But hey, he missed a couple of chances and he's from Europe, BOOOOOOO

Villa - 8 (MOTM)
Last week we saw what happened when a team manages to nullify the David Villa threat - it wasn't fun. This week we saw what happened when a team doesn't managed that - I had a grin the size of Madison Square Garden on my face. I have no idea how he didn't score a hat-trick today, and we can only hope his finishing improves as the season goes on (although props to Shuttleworth for one of the best saves I've ever seen from that second half volley), but he dominated this game today. His confidence on the ball was supreme - he beat players for fun, brought in team-mates, scored goals, set up goals, threatened from corners, threatened from free kicks. That touch before he set up the second goal was a thing of beauty, and he will pulverize weaker teams with that kind of talent later in the season.

Shelton - 7
After seeing him terrify defenses for two straight weeks with his raw pace, it's tempting to see Shelton as the ultimate super-sub, a dynamo to throw at tired full backs midway through the second half. But after seeing how well he did today, how do you keep him out of the starting XI? His speed would be impressive enough, but his ability and confidence on the ball is even more encouraging - he just doesn't look out of his depth at all. From the moment he started running at Goncalves, you just knew it wasn't going to end well. This kid is going to score bucketloads of goals for us, and it's going to be so much damn fun.

Facey - 6
Goose Island IPA

Mullins - 7
He's a striker, and he came off the bench and scored. You really can't ask for much more than that. Not sure what else he would offer us that Nemec couldn't in a partnership with Villa, but I'm happy for him.

The opposition
Well, they completely destroyed us in the first half. Barring a shaky first 10 minutes where we looked very dangerous, they were in complete control, and they could have sealed the game by half-time - how they didn't score, I may never know. Clearly they set out to stifle Mix in the midfield, but the space that afforded Villa was fatal to them in the end, and they just didn't adjust to the sending off at all. They should have a good season - was a lot more impressed with them then Orlando, that's for sure. Couldn't hear their fans at all, mind.
Do you really think that Nemec being from Europe affects our opinion of him?

View attachment 2070

My seats from the first row of 136. The second half was so exciting. Seeing City attack towards us with all those chances was great and the atmosphere was better than I expected.
Hell yeah I sat other side on the left side of goal just like you but a bit further away from goal and first row. Exhilarating seeing players running at you. Saw David villa curl that ball into goal coming towards me. Hadn't yelled so loud in a long time.

nemec actually did really well despite missing a couple finishes... set up a ton of chances off of flicks, held possession, won possession in NE's area multiple times and kept possession while doing so... he just needs to start finding goals. jacobson, i really didnt think he had much influence at all, dont rate the guy at all. gabavoy lost the ball cheaply too much for my liking when he could've and should've kept possession

Reactions: JayH
The Mullins goal was right in front of us and it was just perfect. And the Villa volley would've been unbelievable.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
Section 131. didn't take too many pictures. Had a great time.
IMG_0188.JPG

Reactions: Kjbert
Hi Dan and company . It was nice to meet you and other forum members at Ryan's Pub and nicer today knowing all who made the trip from all over the USA were at that stadium cheering the NYCFC team. This has been possible with all the work you and the rest of the staff do. You guys deserve a big OLE, OLE, OLE OLEI too.

Does any one know the attendance stat? it was not a jam packed stadium but considering some factors (in my opinion)like mixed marketing strategies and cold overcast weather did not help. Overall attendance was respectable.

Reactions: dex
Nemec does something very well... And that's win balls in the air and hold up play. Invaluable assets. Until he starts to affect us winning or loosing he won't be sitting.
Exactly right. I was at the game in Orlando and my brother and I were so frustrated with him and thought he looked awful. He had no touch on his passing, no feel for his shot. Kept turning the ball over but even in that game what he did well was win the ball in the air and hold up the play which is very key. He had a better game tonight and he was awesome winning those balls that were being sent in by our back line and midfield. I hope he can start to finish some and take some of the pressure off of villa.