Home - 05/31 Revolution

USATSI_9380876_168381465_lowres.jpg

I'm starting three games (at least) in a row, and looking forward to be starting in the playoffs!

So Penso is the guy who fucked up and didn't give Lloyd Sam a red for either his studs to the knee of Pirlo or the choke of Matarrita.

Otherwise, not so shitty.
Liking for remembering the Penso's notorious inactions. There's never been a more blatant disregard of red cardable offenses.

Yeah, I think that there are at least three factors I can think of that account for most of the discrepancy between how satisfied we are with our squad depth, pre-season vs. right now:
  • Unknowns who haven't impressed or figured yet – J Lewis, Camargo, James Sands were all exciting depth options in pre-season who haven't really figured much or at all.
  • Rising expectations – We were comparing our 2017 squad to our 2016 and even 2015 squad and it looks great. For example, having Tommy as a bench option felt awesome at the beginning of the season and it's seemingly regarded as dreadful. The thing is that the entire league is improving so rapidly that incremental inter-team improvement is hard to gauge until the teams start playing each other. Even then, we probably won't get a good perspective on this until late in the season due to how long it takes teams to gel, how many teams there are and other scheduling wackiness.
  • Perfect storm – between injuries, suspensions, the incredibly compact schedule and international call-ups, we are really exposed right now.
I'm curious how other teams are doing with regard to depth, too. I don't really track them until they play us.

Like for the bolded part. This is a big issue, one that I've been thinking about, and that should be discussed more. Yes, we are better at several positions than last year, but it doesn't always seem like it, because the entire league is better. Nearly every team is spending TAM and upgrading at several positions, and just improving a bit here and there is going to leave most teams behind.

Like for the bolded part. This is a big issue, one that I've been thinking about, and that should be discussed more. Yes, we are better at several positions than last year, but it doesn't always seem like it, because the entire league is better. Nearly every team is spending TAM and upgrading at several positions, and just improving a bit here and there is going to leave most teams behind.

I feel like every offseason, evaluation of each player relative to the rest of the league needs to be adjusted down a quintile.

For example, McNamara might have been above average (better than 60-80% of players) last year, but this year he's firmly average at best (better than 40-60% of players). Someone like Allen might have been average last year, but this year is below (better than 20-40% of players).

Meanwhile, Jack Harrison has improved over the past 12 months, but probably stayed in the 60-80% quintile because the league as a whole improved, especially at the wing and attacking midfield positions.

I feel like every offseason, evaluation of each player relative to the rest of the league needs to be adjusted down a quintile.

For example, McNamara might have been above average (better than 60-80% of players) last year, but this year he's firmly average at best (better than 40-60% of players). Someone like Allen might have been average last year, but this year is below (better than 20-40% of players).

Meanwhile, Jack Harrison has improved over the past 12 months, but probably stayed in the 60-80% quintile because the league as a whole improved, especially at the wing and attacking midfield positions.
I think Jack is better than you're giving him credit for - definitely 80% or higher. He's on 5 goals/3assts and has hit the post 2-3 times that Wallace was the beneficiary of scoring from. He's the real deal in MLS and is only hindered by not getting the ball to him more, and that's on the team's implementation of tactics and not really him.

But your points about our off-season analysis of the roster versus the rest of the league is spot on. It's almost as if we're making assumptions in a vacuum and handing out raises/extensions without looking at the bigger picture. TMac's $185K makes him nearly the highest paid non-starter (by a lot) with Brillant only being higher, and a quality 3rd CB is too important not to spend on. RJ is even close to needing mandatory minutes to justify his salary bump to $100K. The other guys like Mikey, Sweat, Okoli, etc are all making $65K or less and can be expected to be roster filler. Carmargo & Khiry are in the $100K range too. Hell, White has been competent this year at $65K, so we're over-performing there. It's almost like we'd have been better off not giving TMac (& RJ) a raise, and instead spreading about $60K of his to 2-3 other players we bring in to hit a higher sweet-spot of $120K value (Tmac's salary at $120k, Carmago's at $120k and RJ's at 120k - for three completely different players) and know we have that much higher of quality on the bench.

Hopefully David Lee is better at this than we realize and has some summer surprises, because I can't handle being fearful of needing to go to the bench and not knowing who can be counted on.

Last edited:
I think Jack is better than you're giving him credit for - definitely 80% or higher. He's on 5 goals/3assts and has hit the post 2-3 times that Wallace was the beneficiary of scoring from. He's the real deal in MLS and is only hindered by not getting the ball to him more, and that's on the team's implementation of tactics and not really him.

Quite possibly, but there are also a lot of good attacking midfielders and wingers in this league right now.

Giovinco, Almiron, Lodiero, Dos Santos, Blanco, Maxi, Alessandrini, Piatti, Valeri, Villalba, Gashi, Accam, Asad, Vazquez, Nagbe, Gerso, Nguyen, Meram, Kaka, Rusnak, Diaz, Molino, Fagundez, Savarino, etc.

Harrison slots in there somewhere, but some pretty good players are going to be bumped from the top quintile merely as a function of how many there are.

Just checked Mikey's stats from the last game. Despite playing as a CDM, he had the fewest touches on the team, and very few defensive actions. Alex ring had the most after Chanot. So the stats show that they purposely avoided Lopez, as they should, but why the hell are you on the field if the team is just playing around you? AND, he wasn't even playing like a defensive MF, he was pushing up the field. (his avg position was higher upfield than Ring's) Stertzer has not looked terrible, I cannot see how Lopez is higher than Stertzer on the depth chart. And why the hell did we make a draft day trade for Awuah, if he cannot beat out Mikey Lopez for back up CDM? And why the hell did we not sign Sands if Lopez is our back up CDM. He can't run the attack, did not play defense, and is the slowest "fast" guy I've ever watched. He gets caught from behind more than Grabavoy did.

I Spend a lot of time supporting this team, DO NOT MAKE ME WATCH MIKEY LOPEZ PLAY ANYMORE!!!!!!!!

Just checked Mikey's stats from the last game. Despite playing as a CDM, he had the fewest touches on the team, and very few defensive actions. Alex ring had the most after Chanot. So the stats show that they purposely avoided Lopez, as they should, but why the hell are you on the field if the team is just playing around you? AND, he wasn't even playing like a defensive MF, he was pushing up the field. (his avg position was higher upfield than Ring's) Stertzer has not looked terrible, I cannot see how Lopez is higher than Stertzer on the depth chart. And why the hell did we make a draft day trade for Awuah, if he cannot beat out Mikey Lopez for back up CDM? And why the hell did we not sign Sands if Lopez is our back up CDM. He can't run the attack, did not play defense, and is the slowest "fast" guy I've ever watched. He gets caught from behind more than Grabavoy did.

I Spend a lot of time supporting this team, DO NOT MAKE ME WATCH MIKEY LOPEZ PLAY ANYMORE!!!!!!!!
Atlanta had us figured out. Choke off the passing options to leave Mikey more open knowing we aren't going to him- this added an extra guy to dbl Ring/Maxi or forecheck.

When pressured, play a long diagonal ball to our LB defensive zone putting Sweat/Callens under reciprocal pressure - they knew the same clearance to White/Chanot would be snuffed. Gressel was ready to chase every time.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
How much do you think it would cost to bribe the Venezuelan national team to get us Herrera back early? The entire country is completely broke so its can't be that pricy.

How much do you think it would cost to bribe the Venezuelan national team to get us Herrera back early? The entire country is completely broke so its can't be that pricy.
The situation in Venezuela is dire... beyond dire. Send them three giant freighters of food and they'd probably agree never to call up Hererra again. Send the population 3 freighters of food anyway regardless of Hererra - that'd be the right thing for a multinational company to do.

The situation in Venezuela is dire... beyond dire. Send them three giant freighters of food and they'd probably agree never to call up Hererra again. Send the population 3 freighters of food anyway regardless of Hererra - that'd be the right thing for a multinational company to do.

Well Goldman bought $2.8Bn of Venezuelan bonds, so that should cover their food cost.

Reactions: Kjbert
Well Goldman bought $2.8Bn of Venezuelan bonds, so that should cover their food cost.
Without making this political, those bonds are in the hands of the government so it's not helping the civilians eat. And frankly, those bonds are worthless; physical materials and food are gold there - they are functioning on a barter/commodity system since paper money is only good for burning.

Without making this political, those bonds are in the hands of the government so it's not helping the civilians eat. And frankly, those bonds are worthless; physical materials and food are gold there - they are functioning on a barter/commodity system since paper money is only good for burning.

They were actually bonds purchased on the secondary market with an issue date of 2014. So its not like GS was giving the Venezuelan government any money.

Also they bought them for .37 cents compared to face value. Good business assuming Venezuela keeps making payments.

Reactions: Kjbert
Red Bulls/NYC FC Weather Discussion

New England @ NYC FC (5/31)
Game Time: 7:30pm@ Red Bulls Arena

Some unsettled weather may continue into Wednesday, as another disturbance approaches. Some showers and thunderstorms are possible Wednesday afternoon or evening. But uncertainty is high with timing and widespread activity will be. So we keep chances for a lightning delay low, at this time.

Chance of lightning delay: 20%

-MP

https://www.nymetroweather.com/sports/

Red Bulls/NYC FC Weather Discussion

New England @ NYC FC (5/31)
Game Time: 7:30pm@ Red Bulls Arena

Some unsettled weather may continue into Wednesday, as another disturbance approaches. Some showers and thunderstorms are possible Wednesday afternoon or evening. But uncertainty is high with timing and widespread activity will be. So we keep chances for a lightning delay low, at this time.

Chance of lightning delay: 20%

-MP

https://www.nymetroweather.com/sports/

At Red Bulls Arena? Never use this source again.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich