Home - 6/9 Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.
As is tradition, the slightly early forecast says mid-high 70s and 60% chance of rain and thunderstorms for Saturday.

I see 35% at 8 AM, 5% at kickoff lasting until the end of the game, 11% at 4 PM, 22% at 6 PM.

How many NYCFC matches has he worked? How many cards? We need the extra info!

Sibiga has not refereed a match for NYCFC in 2018. In 2017, he refereed our 1-1 draw in Dallas (4 YC, 1-DAL 3-NYC; 0 RC; 0 PKs), 2-1 win vs. Seattle (Pride Day Rain Storm 7 YC, 3-NYC 4-SEA; 0 RC; 1 PK for David Villa (if you recall people thought Jack Harrison deserved a PK but went uncalled this wasn't a clear PK and might be overturned under current video review), and 2-0 win at LA Galaxy (5 YC, 1-LAG 4-NYC); 0 RC; 0 PKs)

Sibiga has refereed one match for Atlanta in 2018. Their 3-1 at home vs D.C. United (3 YC, 2-ATL 1-DC; 0 RC; 0 PKs). In 2017, 0-0 draw in Seattle (2 YC, 2-ATL 0-SEA; 0 RC; 0 PKs), 3-1 loss at Vancouver (3 YC, 2-ATL 1-VAN; 0 RC; 0 PKs), 2-2 draw vs. Toronto (2 YC, 1-ATL 1-TOR); 0 RC; 1 PK for ATL.

Reactions: adam
There is one day in the 10 day forecast that predicts rain. Saturday.
Atlanta plays in a dome - rain is not a bad thing.

They got home field advantage on an overly large plastic surface where they can run track meets and the ball doesn’t slow down. Now we get the advantage on a compact field with questionable footing and where the ball could skid to a stop with ponding.

And directly influences both our point standings for playoffs, shield, and CCL as well as directly influences our biggest competitor's point standings for the same.

This is the only remaining game on our schedule that does so.

I get your point. But it's one game out of 34. The Open Cup is a series of one game tournaments. 1 win and we play 2 lesser teams to get to the last four.

Araos mentioned that what Chanot is dealing with is really mentally debilitating and that it'd take a big amount of perseverance to get through it. With him not counting as an international, I really hope we get him on the field somehow tomorrow to get him back in a groove for the rest of the season. He seemed incredibly reserved at the meet and greet on Saturday, but I don't know what he's like normally.

Must be why he acted so distant/cold at the most recent meet and greet.

Reactions: The Toe
I get your point. But it's one game out of 34. The Open Cup is a series of one game tournaments. 1 win and we play 2 lesser teams to get to the last four.
Yeah, all I'm saying is that it's somewhere in between. If we were to lose to Atlanta, it's not the end of the world, it is 1 game out of 34.

But, this one does carry more weight to it as it has a direct impact on their points totals as well.

The Desert Diamond Cup is like 2 or 3 games as well. Are those more important than regular season?

It would be nice to win the USOC, but the ATL match is 10x more important than the RB match. Doesn't mean we can't go for both!

As is tradition, the slightly early forecast says mid-high 70s and 60% chance of rain and thunderstorms for Saturday.

getting real tired of this shit.....although to be fair to mother nature, there were no thunderstorms on saturday, rain occurred afterwards

The Desert Diamond Cup is like 2 or 3 games as well. Are those more important than regular season?

It would be nice to win the USOC, but the ATL match is 10x more important than the RB match. Doesn't mean we can't go for both!

Does winning the Desert Diamond count as a trophy, one that NJRB still never won? Does winning it ensure that you go the CCL? All this "race for the CCL spot" with Atlanta becomes moot if we win the USOC, then we can focus on a bye and rest players down the stretch. Dumb analogy, sorry.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Does winning the Desert Diamond count as a trophy, one that NJRB still never won?

I've never considered that one but it bumps them to 0 for 46 between MLS Cup, US Open Cup, CCL, and Desert Diamond. Luckily the Hudson River Derby didn't get a "Cup" association.

Reactions: adam
Does winning the Desert Diamond count as a trophy, one that NJRB still never won? Does winning it ensure that you go the CCL? All this "race for the CCL spot" with Atlanta becomes moot if we win the USOC, then we can focus on a bye and rest players down the stretch. Dumb analogy, sorry.
Obviously, I was being extreme. The point being the 1/34 vs. 1/4 comparison only matters if the whatever the 1/4 competition is important enough. It's clearly my opinion that USOC matters less the comparison ratio, others have differing opinions.
This may change, before this season I thought the CCL was a waste of breath. It seems to have been elevated to a new level now, maybe USOC will follow that trajectory next, but for as long as only a few people on soccer forums care about the USOC, it's not worth jeopardizing our league standings, especially when 3 points can be the difference between 1st and 4th.

Obviously, I was being extreme. The point being the 1/34 vs. 1/4 comparison only matters if the whatever the 1/4 competition is important enough. It's clearly my opinion that USOC matters less the comparison ratio, others have differing opinions.
This may change, before this season I thought the CCL was a waste of breath. It seems to have been elevated to a new level now, maybe USOC will follow that trajectory next, but for as long as only a few people on soccer forums care about the USOC, it's not worth jeopardizing our league standings, especially when 3 points can be the difference between 1st and 4th.

Well if you agree CCL has been elevated, shouldn't we try to earn the easy way in there with USOC? And even if not too many people understand, it's still an actual trophy for the team's case.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I don't think you can math or even logic your way to proving whether tonight's game is more or less important than Saturday. The Open Cup game is one of only 4 games. Win them all and win a trophy. But, winning any one game has no value unless you win all of them. Lose even in the final and the first 3 wins are a wasted asset. The MLS game is one of 34 season games, but winning one game has value even if you lose the next one (sometimes more so). There's no formula that answers the question.

For me, as tired as I am of not having won a single USOC or playoff round, if I had to pick I would rather remain perfect at home and beat the league leaders on Saturday. Plus, Atlanta fans annoy me more than Red Bull fans right now. Many will disagree and I get that. Everyone has different buttons.

FWIW, my guess is that PV is equally committed to both. The domestic players rules in the cup will force substantial rotation no matter what. I'm sure he's tired of not having won a cup or playoff round himself, and knows how big the Atlanta game is.

For those who wonder if weather has an impact on attendance, go look at the huge number of tickets that have been dumped on StubHub in the last day or so as the forecast has gotten worse. Because of the large group I am taking on Saturday, I have been checking the site pretty frequently, and ticket availability was pretty tight before today.

So based on what we saw last night, buckle up folks, Berget is starting since Medina went 90.

giphy.gif

So based on what we saw last night, buckle up folks, Berget is starting since Medina went 90.

giphy.gif
Berget was the guy to start against Red Bull since we could have played long balls to him to avoid our 2nd string and overrun midfield.

That said, I do think Berget is very close to breaking out. He is getting lots of chances, which is half the battle. I do think he will start finishing them.

Berget was the guy to start against Red Bull since we could have played long balls to him to avoid our 2nd string and overrun midfield.

That said, I do think Berget is very close to breaking out. He is getting lots of chances, which is half the battle. I do think he will start finishing them.

Have we seen a Villa—Berget—-Shradi front three before? Either way, I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.