Houston V Nycfc Ccc

How do you guys see us lining up for this one?
Villa hurt with a tie injury... Might not be playing?
Perhaps a lone striker with an extra mid or is Kreis going to stick to the same formation?

Guys. I still haven't gotten to see an NYC game live and this happens during my 5-7:50 class. An old friend might be visiting from out of town Saturday night. This is becoming painful.

Reactions: LostAnvil
What to look for:

Back line, can someone step up?

Can mix solidify the midfield?

Shelton has a big chance to grab a starting spot, can he do it?

Reactions: Paul
If we are playing the guys that finished last game I could see this as our lineup. Mix may not start and could be a second half sub along with Calle

Calle participated in full training Monday and will likely play Wed, but Kreis said he would cap his play at 30 minutes (per Stefan Bondy)

I don't see Brandt and Dunn starting. Not even for experimentation. Here's my guess:

View attachment 1664
No poku? And Belleza playing DM? I am really hoping they give Brandt a 60 minute run, I think he has a lot of promise. remember, he was a LM up until the combine, when they switched him to LB. He could be a very nice attacking threat if he can get the defensive parts down.

Poku hasn't started a game yet. I don't know why. I'm hoping he's kind of a 2nd half secret weapon during preseason and a starter in the regular season.

I put Mendoza there because of his size. He's started every game and I don't see that changing. Where would you put Poku and who would you start in place of Mendoza?

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Poku hasn't started a game yet. I don't know why. I'm hoping he's kind of a 2nd half secret weapon during preseason and a starter in the regular season.

I put Mendoza there because of his size. He's started every game and I don't see that changing. Where would you put Poku and who would you start in place of Mendoza?
Just based on Kreis comments that he is going to start the guys who finished last game, i think Poku will start there. And it looks like he will not play the diamond tomorrow. Mendoza at DM might be an interesting experiment, though. He likes to roam from his CB spot, so DM might work, I don't know if he's played there before.

EDIT: tomorrow? game is tonight!

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
Will this be live broadcast here at 4pm? Im trying to watch this in the library before classes. Or even better any bars broadcasting it in manhattan?

what I would love to see- I would love to see a 4-3-3 this game with some speedy guy splaying on both side of villa. Houston pushes up relatively far up the pitch so catching them on the counter would be awesome.

---Taylor----------Villa-------------Shelton
--------------------Mix---------------------
---------Poku--------------Jacobson------
Wingert-------------------------------Williams
------------Mendoza------Facey-------------
--------------------Saunders-----------------

Predicted scoreline- 3-0 nycfc

Villa with 2 and mix with 1.

Interesting. And unfortunate that we don't have the squad we hoped we would. We are going to have some growing pains this season, I fear.

If we want our best players on the field, that will probably mean a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, to give Shelton and Taylor more playing time over some of our very average midfielders. We have depth at midfield, but aside from Mix and Grabavoy, they've looked a little shaky and unreliable. Calle is the big wildcard.

Villa, Shelton, Taylor, and Calle can all play on the wing, maybe Velasquez too. Villa, Shelton, Nemec, and Mullins can all play a center forward role. We can play two holding mids from the group of Mix, Grabavoy, Jacobson and Poku. Finally, Mix and Velasquez can play attacking mid, and maybe McNamara for depth. Seems like our roster is perfect for the 4-2-3-1.

Last edited:
Interesting. And unfortunate that we don't have the squad we hoped we would. We are going to have some growing pains this season, I fear.

If we want our best players on the field, that will probably mean a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, to give Shelton and Taylor more playing time over some of our very average midfielders. We have depth at midfield, but aside from Mix and Grabavoy, they've looked a little shaky and unreliable. Calle is the big wildcard.

Villa, Shelton, Taylor, and Calle can all play on the wing, maybe Velasquez too. Villa, Shelton, Nemec, and Mullins can all play a center forward role. We can play two holding mids from the group of Mix, Grabavoy, Jacobson and Poku. Finally, Mix and Velasquez can play attacking mid, and maybe McNamara for depth. Seems like our roster is perfect for the 4-2-3-1.
I'm hoping the new formation will be a 433 based on our personnel, maybe diamond will work better with Frank