How To Mitigate Lampard's Absence?

What if James Milner moved to NYCFC permanently? He would be a bosman signing I believe this year, unless I missed them renewing his contract.

I don't see how that helps MCFC - you would rather have Milner than Lampard I would imagine - as the whole reason they want Lampard is because they lack midfield depth. But just throwing a name out there. He is making about $5 Million USD a year.

I'm a Roma fan and I can confirm that Ashley Cole is completely washed up. Even crappy Serie A wingers have their way with him.
True, but I'm more concerned with the organization making a horrendous decision worse by replacing Lampard with an Ashley "I'm not ready for the beach yet" Cole type of player. That would be disaster².

What if James Milner moved to NYCFC permanently? He would be a bosman signing I believe this year, unless I missed them renewing his contract.

I don't see how that helps MCFC - you would rather have Milner than Lampard I would imagine - as the whole reason they want Lampard is because they lack midfield depth. But just throwing a name out there. He is making about $5 Million USD a year.

It's dumb, but is James Milner* going to "move the needle"? A DP signing in MLS should be more than just an above average talent on the field. Should WANT to be here, forwarding the game in this country. He needs to be a face for your club, a hook for the casual fan, ideally media savvy. As a new club here that's even more important. Lampard was that kinda guy. Villa is. Milner and Barry and Super Guidetti (Hail Hail) aren't even close.

*I would take a team and a half of James Milner's given purely on field factors.

Generally speaking, do the majority of us agree that we don't mind Frank staying through January? As long as he is in Charleston come February?
I don't care if Lampard stays or goes. MLS just needs these DP retirees for the name recognition to get people in the stands or watching on TV.

Lampard and Villa will be great for leadership in the locker room and at practice, but it'll be the young guys on the field every game who are going to make or break NYCFC.

I don't care if Lampard stays or goes. MLS just needs these DP retirees for the name recognition to get people in the stands or watching on TV.

Lampard and Villa will be great for leadership in the locker room and at practice, but it'll be the young guys on the field every game who are going to make or break NYCFC.
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you on this one.

I'm pretty sure Jermaine Jones made all the difference in NE, RB will be nothing without Henry, Dempsey and Martins are the reason Seattle is good, and LA could play with only Donovan and Keane on the field and beat the bad teams in MLS.

Just as an example.

Reactions: whill4
and I used connotation entirely correctly.

In fairness, you interpreting the word "pacify" as likening it to baby talk is a case of "two countries divided by a common language". What the other guys failed to mention is that what you call a pacifier we call a dummy, and the word has totally different connotations over here. If you say you want to pacify someone over here, the immediate implication is of being trying to diffuse a troubling situation, or undertaking a strenuous compromise. The only reason I even realised what you were referring to with the baby reference is because I remember the word being used in The Simpsons.

In fairness, you interpreting the word "pacify" as likening it to baby talk is a case of "two countries divided by a common language". What the other guys failed to mention is that what you call a pacifier we call a dummy, and the word has totally different connotations over here. If you say you want to pacify someone over here, the immediate implication is of being trying to diffuse a troubling situation, or undertaking a strenuous compromise. The only reason I even realised what you were referring to with the baby reference is because I remember the word being used in The Simpsons.
I didn't even mean it that way in particular, but yes, it could indeed part of the connotation here. You could substitute any synonym of pacify, and the title would still sound condescending. Appease, placate, whatever. It still frames the question as one that we, NYCFC supporters, are the ones with a problem.

Perhaps a better way of asking the question would be to ask if there were any acceptable justification to extend the loan.

The answer to that question, btw, is no.

It's dumb, but is James Milner* going to "move the needle"? A DP signing in MLS should be more than just an above average talent on the field. Should WANT to be here, forwarding the game in this country. He needs to be a face for your club, a hook for the casual fan, ideally media savvy. As a new club here that's even more important. Lampard was that kinda guy. Villa is. Milner and Barry and Super Guidetti (Hail Hail) aren't even close.

*I would take a team and a half of James Milner's given purely on field factors.

No he is not. You are right.

But the silly part is that he's probably the better player at this point in his career and would make much more of an impact on the field from a production standpoint than Lampard.

Which goes back to what I said in a different thread.

5 Years from now, if this franchise had the opportunity to sign a Frank Lampard or James Milner, you pick Milner every day and twice on Sunday.

Xavi's the only guy I can think of (and I know there's been constant speculation about him joining anyway.)

The point of Lampard isn't just for talent - we can go get relatively talented guys who are way younger and have more durability. Certainly wouldn't have the talent of a Lampard, but they could still be effective.

The point of Lampard (and Villa) is gravitas - it shows the world that we're fielding some world-class players (albeit not quite in their prime anymore) and not just taking on Premier League scrubs in twilight years or college kids no one's ever heard of. Just being able to say "I saw Frank Lampard play soccer in person" is pretty cool. That's why he's important for the team.

So if he's not here, we need something comparable in terms of headline-grabbing ability. On the field impact is of course important, but the ability to garner PR and attention is just as crucial.

Reactions: Kjbert
I didn't even mean it that way in particular, but yes, it could indeed part of the connotation here. You could substitute any synonym of pacify, and the title would still sound condescending. Appease, placate, whatever. It still frames the question as one that we, NYCFC supporters, are the ones with a problem.

Perhaps a better way of asking the question would be to ask if there were any acceptable justification to extend the loan.

The answer to that question, btw, is no.

Of course it's no, which is why, quite correctly, NYCFC fans would have a problem if the loan were to be extended into the MLS season. I can't see that happening though.

Of course it's no, which is why, quite correctly, NYCFC fans would have a problem if the loan were to be extended into the MLS season. I can't see that happening though.

Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan ... I apologise for any offence caused in the title of the thread, it was / is unintentional, I was trying to ask if you guys could see any way this situation if it arises could be defused. As Falastur Falastur says I did not realise the baby connotation.

I think he will be with you anyway
1. Whatever Pelligrini says, and however the press dress it up you have to realise he is a manager expressing what is best for his department. What he wants and what he gets depend solely upon upstairs. But if it affects his results at least he can say "told you so" to upstairs.

Also it would be PR disaster for all involved.

2. The one thing about Lampard staying at City through January is that although he will need to get up to speed with knowing his teammates (and if you train in Manchester that is not the case) he will be coming to you match fit (he is not in need of a full pre season) .... Of course the flip side of that is he will have a long season having stated in August and not finishing until the end of the Summer in the MLS

But hypothetically speaking I am trying to find out if there was any sort of trade you guys would accept that we could answer a press / PR storm with shoulder to shoulder as fans of MCFC & NYCFC...... once again sorry for the use of the word pacify (Admins I would change the title but do not know how it would affect the thread.... is it ok to do so, or would you like to make it more appropriate for American viewing)

Can I even change the title ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan ... I apologise for any offence caused in the title of the thread, it was / is unintentional, I was trying to ask if you guys could see any way this situation if it arises could be defused. As Falastur Falastur says I did not realise the baby connotation.

I think he will be with you anyway
1. Whatever Pelligrini says, and however the press dress it up you have to realise he is a manager expressing what is best for his department. What he wants and what he gets depend solely upon upstairs. But if it affects his results at least he can say "told you so" to upstairs.

Also it would be PR disaster for all involved.

2. The one thing about Lampard staying at City through January is that although he will need to get up to speed with knowing his teammates (and if you train in Manchester that is not the case) he will be coming to you match fit (he is not in need of a full pre season) .... Of course the flip side of that is he will have a long season having stated in August and not finishing until the end of the Summer in the MLS

But hypothetically speaking I am trying to find out if there was any sort of trade you guys would accept that we could answer a press / PR storm with shoulder to shoulder as fans of MCFC & NYCFC...... once again sorry for the use of the word pacify (Admins I would change the title but do not know how it would affect the thread.... is it ok to do so, or would you like to make it more appropriate for American viewing)

I really didn't mean to pick a fight. That's why I was a bit passive in the way I stated it. No worries, man.

Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan(Admins I would change the title but do not know how it would affect the thread.... is it ok to do so, or would you like to make it more appropriate for American viewing)

You can't but we can. Tell me what you want the title to be and I'll change it.