James Sands [Midfielder] [HG]

“But it’s going to be tough for him in Scotland because he’s jumping to another level - maybe not football wise so much better, I don’t think so.​
“But the pressure and the environment, moving away from New York and his family and into an environment where 50 percent of the city hates you and 50 percent loves you - and that’s only when you’re playing well!​

Reactions: moogoo and Shwafta

“But it’s going to be tough for him in Scotland because he’s jumping to another level - maybe not football wise so much better, I don’t think so.​
“But the pressure and the environment, moving away from New York and his family and into an environment where 50 percent of the city hates you and 50 percent loves you - and that’s only when you’re playing well!​
And in New York, 3% love you, 2% hate you, and 95% don't even know who you are.

Reactions: 413Blue
wasnt the whole point of him going to Rangers to get exposure in these European games instead of playing against St Mirren and Dundee?

Exactly - the loan spell is already a dubious move (there’s very little guarantee that Rangers will play meaningful minutes of European football over the next 18 months). But if he doesn’t even get on the field, it’s a total waste of time.

wasnt the whole point of him going to Rangers to get exposure in these European games instead of playing against St Mirren and Dundee?
Exactly - the loan spell is already a dubious move (there’s very little guarantee that Rangers will play meaningful minutes of European football over the next 18 months). But if he doesn’t even get on the field, it’s a total waste of time.

yeap. but let's hope this is his adjustment process in this first 6 months and the final 12 months will see him more integrated into the team with a larger impact. otherwise, this loan spell will be a complete fail and he'll essentially have to start over trying to raise his stock when he returns.

Sands was in the squad for tonight, but didn't come of the bench. He did play about 30mins in the last european game.

While there's more experienced players ahead of him in both midfield and defence, I think he's just going to need to be patient and wait for opportunities.
(speaking as a someone from Scotland, but not rangers fan)

Reactions: Sabo and JayH
Sands was in the squad for tonight, but didn't come of the bench. He did play about 30mins in the last european game.

While there's more experienced players ahead of him in both midfield and defence, I think he's just going to need to be patient and wait for opportunities.
(speaking as a someone from Scotland, but not rangers fan)

interesting. the lineup I saw on the GOLAZO show didn't have Sands on the bench. Which is correct? I didn't watch the game to notice whether he was actually there.

interesting. the lineup I saw on the GOLAZO show didn't have Sands on the bench. Which is correct? I didn't watch the game to notice whether he was actually there.
I watched the match and was definitely on the bench. Was a bigger squad for european games, Rangers has 12 on the bench tonight if that maybe explaines the difference.

And Rangers won the tie, so more European opportunities ahead.

yeap. but let's hope this is his adjustment process in this first 6 months and the final 12 months will see him more integrated into the team with a larger impact. otherwise, this loan spell will be a complete fail and he'll essentially have to start over trying to raise his stock when he returns.
He played a full season with his most national team duty to date which only ended 2 months ago. I’ll be more worried come Rangers next season after the summer break when he has time to rest and integrate more into the squad. Personally, I don’t like the loan versus a sale with a sell on clause but feels like Sands wanted to go to Europe and this was the best option available at the time for him and us.

Reactions: moogoo

He was on the bench put out by Rangers on Twitter.

Unused substitute today against Motherwell, the sixth SPL game in a row where he hasn’t seen the field.

Since joining Rangers he’s played around 263 minutes total. More than a third of that came against Annan Athletic, from the Scottish fourth tier.

Is it too soon to talk about a loan recall? This is a disaster for both us, and for Sands himself.

Unused substitute today against Motherwell, the sixth SPL game in a row where he hasn’t seen the field.

Since joining Rangers he’s played around 263 minutes total. More than a third of that came against Annan Athletic, from the Scottish fourth tier.

Is it too soon to talk about a loan recall? This is a disaster for both us, and for Sands himself.

I think it's way too soon.

Rangers had solid starters in the positions Sands plays. It was going to be a big ask to see him take the starting spot long term. GvB let him start one game and he didn't impress as much as he could have but I'd chalk that up to getting used to the league and his team. Especially coming in mid-season. If your team is gelling, you don't want to throw in a new piece just because and risk breaking things up or causing drama in the locker room.

I think he'll get his chance. It's only been 2 months. I wouldn't be worried unless he starts the new season sitting on the bench and going unused game after game.

Reactions: Shwafta and twsj91

I don’t think it’s quite a disaster just yet. He’s still young and so far from his family for the first time. It’s not a 6 month loan, it’s 18 months. I think a lot of us don’t truly understand how difficult it can be mentally up rooting your whole life, especially at a young age. Look at how we treated Magno and Thiago. Even a well rounded professional, who has played abroad, like Maxi needed an entire year to get comfortable. Rangers may truly just be easing him into the role. Which brings me to my next point… he joined in the middle of the campaign. Can’t imagine how easy that could be the fit in chemistry wise. Of course I’d love to see him getting way more minutes, but personally I think I’m going to wait until next season to begin panicking.

edit: M moogoo beat me to a lot of the same talking points by a minute or so lol

Reactions: moogoo and Shwafta
Even assuming he becomes a regular starter for them next season, I’m just not sure why his development is better served spending the next six months sitting on the bench for Rangers, when he could have been starting every week for us and helping us win the CCL.

Even assuming he becomes a regular starter for them next season, I’m just not sure why his development is better served spending the next six months sitting on the bench for Rangers, when he could have been starting every week for us and helping us win the CCL.

cause if he left mid-season here and went to rangers, it would take him that much longer to get acclimated into the squad and the league. now he can use this time and really start strong in the new season.. much like Talles has for us.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
If he joined in July he’d be going through the same issues he’s going through now. Up rooting his entire life, getting adjusted to a new league, country, teammates etc… it’s not about the club, it’s about the player at this point. Sands has done a tremendous job for us, but he needed to get out of his comfort zone. Using this time to get comfortable does make sense. If it’s October 2022 and we’re having the same issues we’re discussing now then I’d be worried.

Edit: M moogoo stop beating me!! Lmaoo :tearsofjoy: