Jersey Postmatch

This is a little juvenile. We are the upstarts. Not surprising that the MLS team that has been around for 20+ years has more media insiders than NYCFC. This will change in time.

Reactions: mgarbowski
One fun thing about this match is seeing the MLS Power Rankings this week.

After we beat them 2-0, New Jersey went up one spot from 12 to 11. I guess getting whipped by their rivals was slightly better than expectations going into the game.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/06/27/mls-power-rankings-week-17-where-did-you-team-land
I know Power Rankings are somewhat silly exercises that are more just fun to think/argue about and there are often many strong opinions about where teams are placed, who should be higher, etc., etc.

But how the hell is LAG listed at #7? They are 6th in the West in both points and PPG and wouldn't crack the top 6 in the East in either category as well.

Reactions: Ulrich
One final funny story from our forums outing. The RBA Securitas folks had been instructed to hold back the traveling support from exiting at the end of the match until the stadium had cleared out. This is standard fare, in my experience, in well managed European stadiums, so good for them for doing it in an effort to try to avoid stupidity on either side.

However, the guard on our aisle (we were a few sections over) apparently decided that Taurus Taurus was a clear trouble-maker who should be subject to the same, and would not let him leave until all the RB fans around us had cleared out. Besides the fact that he's just a good guy, the scene was all the more absurd since my 9yo (decked out in light blue of course) was standing next to him.

One fun thing about this match is seeing the MLS Power Rankings this week.

After we beat them 2-0, New Jersey went up one spot from 12 to 11. I guess getting whipped by their rivals was slightly better than expectations going into the game.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/06/27/mls-power-rankings-week-17-where-did-you-team-land
It looks like the reason is the voters thought losing 2-0 to NYC at home is not as bad as losing 4-0 on the road in Chicago. Which is a debatable point.

I know Power Rankings are somewhat silly exercises that are more just fun to think/argue about and there are often many strong opinions about where teams are placed, who should be higher, etc., etc.

But how the hell is LAG listed at #7? They are 6th in the West in both points and PPG and wouldn't crack the top 6 in the East in either category as well.
A guy using the name Fred Zilla writes a fictional transcript of the in-house MLS staff discussion over Power Rankings every week and posts it in the comments. People go crazy over it. I don't find it that funny because his joke every week is that the staff, especially Wiebe, fall over themselves justifying a too-high placement for LAG. It's a fair cop, but the same joke week after week gets old for me. But they keep giving him ammunition.

One final funny story from our forums outing. The RBA Securitas folks had been instructed to hold back the traveling support from exiting at the end of the match until the stadium had cleared out. This is standard fare, in my experience, in well managed European stadiums, so good for them for doing it in an effort to try to avoid stupidity on either side.

However, the guard on our aisle (we were a few sections over) apparently decided that Taurus Taurus was a clear trouble-maker who should be subject to the same, and would not let him leave until all the RB fans around us had cleared out. Besides the fact that he's just a good guy, the scene was all the more absurd since my 9yo (decked out in light blue of course) was standing next to him.

My mom and I got caught in that too! Even after I showed my ticket (that was outside of the supporters section) they basically pointed to my jersey and said "doesn't matter, you're a supporter". We ended up just walking across the section to escape the cordon, but the delay cost us the chance of getting out of the parking lot before 4:00. So if we end up sitting there again the trick is to use the aisle further from the supporters . . .

My mom and I got caught in that too! Even after I showed my ticket (that was outside of the supporters section) they basically pointed to my jersey and said "doesn't matter, you're a supporter". We ended up just walking across the section to escape the cordon, but the delay cost us the chance of getting out of the parking lot before 4:00. So if we end up sitting there again the trick is to use the aisle further from the supporters . . .
Even weirder is that those of us caught up in the cluster behind Taurus were held up, but other NYCFC people went down the same aisle just on the other side of the railing/divider and security let them pass.

Reactions: CatNYC and Taurus

What finally broke his will; I whispered in his ear, "You don't need to be afraid of me because I'm wearing Blue, but afraid of my Wife when I blame you for making me late for dinner"....:)

What finally broke his will; I whispered in his ear, "You don't need to be afraid of me because I'm wearing Blue, but afraid of my Wife when I blame you for making me late for dinner"....:)
Well played. Hopefully you weren't in the same parking lot as me!

Reactions: Kjbert
giphy.gif

MLSsoccer.com has updated their Disciplinary Report to reflect yellow cards as of 6/28 but no updated from DisCo. If we don't see a Tyler Adams suspension or something for Kemar Lawrence, thing are going to get out of hand next derby.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
MLSsoccer.com has updated their Disciplinary Report to reflect yellow cards as of 6/28 but no updated from DisCo. If we don't see a Tyler Adams suspension or something for Kemar Lawrence, thing are going to get out of hand next derby.

I'm wearing a flak jacket on 8/25... with our badge emblazoned on it. And maybe a helmet.