Josh Saunders [Goalkeeper]

The green one looks fine but the black one makes him look like an armadillo.

Josh has hair!
agree about the black and its not attractive and the green makes him look cool as a lettuce

The green one looks fine but the black one makes him look like an armadillo.
he looks sad in the green one. maybe he knows he's going to be #2 this year behind lurch.

on a side note, is anyone bothered that he didn't take the no.1 kit number. i don't know why but it bothers me that our starting keeper didn't wear 1 on his kit.

he looks sad in the green one. maybe he knows he's going to be #2 this year behind lurch.

on a side note, is anyone bothered that he didn't take the no.1 kit number. i don't know why but it bothers me that our starting keeper didn't wear 1 on his kit.
I mean, 12 is the traditional number for backup keepers...

Reactions: gbservis
exactly. he wore a backup number, and he was the starter. I know he "took" the job of starter, but we don't have a player with #1. He should have asked to change to #1 this season. Maybe he did and was denied.

exactly. he wore a backup number, and he was the starter. I know he "took" the job of starter, but we don't have a player with #1. He should have asked to change to #1 this season. Maybe he did and was denied.
It could just be that he's a Joe Namath fan or something, or some other random reason he likes the number 12.

If you look around MLS you'll see that there are very few starting keepers that wear #1. I've always thought it was strange to see all the different numbers worn by keepers in this league. Saunders is hardly the exception.

He was a backup for most of his career, maybe he became attached to the number and didn't want to changes once he won a starting job.

Reactions: joe
He was a backup for most of his career, maybe he became attached to the number and didn't want to changes once he won a starting job.
Yeah, that was the non-trolling half of what I was getting at.

Reactions: gbservis
Reactions: Ulrich
Ranked 32 of 33 in a 20 team league. I say open keeper tryouts in NYC! Someone can step up and block balls with their hands. You don't need to be able to kick, it's not like Suanders can either.
Leadership......

Reactions: adam
http://www.americansocceranalysis.com/home/2016/6/19/june-mls-gks

Almost fell off my seat here, and in the interest of making sure I prove myself wrong when faced with facts, JOsh is one of the best passers at GK in MLS. According to this.

It's because he's attempted over 100 more passes under 40 yards then his next closest keeper. (he's attempted more then 200 over some of them!). And those passes league wide range in the 95-100% range. NYCFC has made a point to run the players close to him so he only has to make a short, high percentage pass. In doing so his amount of passes (especially short ones) dwarf the rest of the league. Take those away and his stats drop significantly.

It's because he's attempted over 100 more passes under 40 yards then his next closest keeper. (he's attempted more then 200 over some of them!). And those passes league wide range in the 95-100% range. NYCFC has made a point to run the players close to him so he only has to make a short, high percentage pass. In doing so his amount of passes (especially short ones) dwarf the rest of the league. Take those away and his stats drop significantly.
he's also second most accurate in the league from 40-60 yards.

he's also second most accurate in the league from 40-60 yards.

Based on this chart, most keepers in the league attempt around 50% of their passes from 40-60 yards and JS is only attempting 33%. That tells me that he's not making the long kick unless it's a very open opportunity, which would increase his chances of completing it. Most of the time he's making the choice to go short to the easier outlet.

The third table is interesting too, showing how well teams defend against goal keeper passing. Seems to show how well or how committed teams are to pressing the keeper. No surprise that Orlando and NJ are high on there. Also shows us middle of the pack. I've noticed we rarely press the keeper, but try to take away his CBs and force him to make a longer pass.

Reactions: adam
Based on this chart, most keepers in the league attempt around 50% of their passes from 40-60 yards and JS is only attempting 33%. That tells me that he's not making the long kick unless it's a very open opportunity, which would increase his chances of completing it. Most of the time he's making the choice to go short to the easier outlet.
Sounds smart to me.

Reactions: Goodfella and adam