Major League Soccer Reclaiming Online Merchandise Sales From Franchises

Absolutely not true reason US sports leagues do this (and why they are the riches leagues in the world) is to share profits with each other and reduce profit loss for the small market teams that don't make that much money on there own.

Reactions: Gazza_55
Absolutely not true reason US sports leagues do this (and why they are the riches leagues in the world) is to share profits with each other and reduce profit loss for the small market teams that don't make that much money on there own.
communist-green-join-party.jpg

It the biggest reason why American sports league will always will always have more money and power than the other league around the world (yes even FIFA). The US leagues work as one corporation (the league) with different stores (the teams) some teams are flag ship store others are smaller shops in a strip mall. The bigger store get paid and shares the money with the small ones and make sure no one goes out of business, that why teams are also call franchises. In the other leagues it's mom and pop shops versus big conglomerates. Also this could help the league make the money to rise the cap pay players more.

It the biggest reason why American sports league will always will always have more money and power than the other league around the world (yes even FIFA). The US leagues work as one corporation (the league) with different stores (the teams) some teams are flag ship store others are smaller shops in a strip mall. The bigger store get paid and shares the money with the small ones and make sure no one goes out of business, that why teams are also call franchises. In the other leagues it's mom and pop shops versus big conglomerates. Also this could help the league make the money to rise the cap pay players more.
but then shouldnt the mom and pop shops try to compete with the conglomoerates. IE better academy, more merch.

lets be real, the reason why people would go to the conglomoerates is becuase of the name (man utd, barca). but if the smaller stores (Leicester City, Valencia, Shalke) offer more and better produced products, then they will succed.

look at the independent stores in williamsburg. they all offer more products better produced.

but then shouldnt the mom and pop shops try to compete with the conglomoerates. IE better academy, more merch.

lets be real, the reason why people would go to the conglomoerates is becuase of the name (man utd, barca). but if the smaller stores (Leicester City, Valencia, Shalke) offer more and better produced products, then they will succed.

look at the independent stores in williamsburg. they all offer more products better produced.
The same reason MLS can't compete with Real Madrid for the best players in the world can't keep the best players they produce, money and name recognition. This is the way MLS will be able to get there and why (keeping it real) you will hardly ever see Leicester City, Valencia or Shalke will compete in there leagues or the champions league. They can't sign the top players in the world or keep the ones they produce and there isn't anything wrong with that that is just the why it is. It is why MLS has a shot to be one of if not the top league in the world with more than half the league being competitive every year. It all due to money but MLS will only get that money by making smart business decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gazza_55 and Gene

Not sure about this one. European clubs make far less money than you think from merchandising so not operating a revenue-sharing system makes little difference in that respect. I think you'll find that the reason American leagues make so much money is that they have a disproportionately large TV revenue pool to drink from.

Not sure about this one. European clubs make far less money than you think from merchandising so not operating a revenue-sharing system makes little difference in that respect. I think you'll find that the reason American leagues make so much money is that they have a disproportionately large TV revenue pool to drink from.
I meant the reason they make money is revenue-sharing. It not just the apparel deals it's everything all teams make money and they give to the other teams. The NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS are one big store, The other leagues are malls full of other store that rent out temporary space in there malls.

The service and selection will be much better this way. Each team is a small customer to a 3rd-party vendor, but the league as a whole is a big customer. As we are seeing with the jersey problems, current fulfillment is crap. Chances are they are using soccer.com/Worldsoccershop (the same company -- they also own bigsoccer.com) and, although I've had problems with those guys, I'm betting this will be a better solution for fans, less hassle for the teams, and more money for the league. Win, win, win.

I was reading this thread and thought everyone was wrong in thinking that the NFL shares merchandise revenue. I especially thought: "there's no way the Cowboys share their merchandising revenue." So I looked it up and discovered I was wrong and you were all right about the NFL and I was right about the Cowboys.
"The NFL also shares ticket and merchandise revenues, with the exception of the Cowboys — Dallas keeps revenues generated from merchandise sales and does not receive any from the other 31 teams."
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...iness-model-nba-nhl-mlb-comparison-salary-cap

Reactions: CP_Scouse
The service and selection will be much better this way. Each team is a small customer to a 3rd-party vendor, but the league as a whole is a big customer. As we are seeing with the jersey problems, current fulfillment is crap. Chances are they are using soccer.com/Worldsoccershop (the same company -- they also own bigsoccer.com) and, although I've had problems with those guys, I'm betting this will be a better solution for fans, less hassle for the teams, and more money for the league. Win, win, win.
http://shop.nycfc.com/
http://www.mlsgear.com/shop-by-mls-team-new-york-city-fc.html

they dont even have the same products

I was reading this thread and thought everyone was wrong in thinking that the NFL shares merchandise revenue. I especially thought: "there's no way the Cowboys share their merchandising revenue." So I looked it up and discovered I was wrong and you were all right about the NFL and I was right about the Cowboys.
"The NFL also shares ticket and merchandise revenues, with the exception of the Cowboys — Dallas keeps revenues generated from merchandise sales and does not receive any from the other 31 teams."
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...iness-model-nba-nhl-mlb-comparison-salary-cap
thats the way it SHOULD be

I meant the reason they make money is revenue-sharing. It not just the apparel deals it's everything all teams make money and they give to the other teams. The NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS are one big store, The other leagues are malls full of other store that rent out temporary space in there malls.

The reason they make money is because of the disproportionately large TV revenue pool. In the US, you have major TV networks across the country who are willing to pay huge sums to acquire the TV rights for their regions. That all tots up to a vast sum. In Europe, the TV networks extend across the country so you only get one or two TV networks which are willing to pay top dollar and then there's no other TV networks to sell to.

Incidentally, this is also why revenue sharing is not important in Europe - because whichever company wins the TV rights automatically gets it for the entire country, TV companies do not give a flying monkey whether half the teams are uncompetitive or not, because they have access to all the teams' games and therefore are in no danger of only showing uncompetitive teams, and the handful of successful teams have such huge amounts of fans that they can be as unfair in how little they show the minor teams as they want because they can be sure that they'll be satisfying the majority of their viewers by focusing on a half-dozen teams. That means that whether the league is a one-horse race or if all 20 teams might win, the league is going to get the same TV revenue regardless, so the league has nothing to lose.