Matarrita to Dortmund?

Didn't he only play about 10 times for Dortmund
Has it been that many times?

You know, doesn't matter since BVB won their group, but I was thinking that in general, teams like BVB that get knocked out of CL group stage should more regularly buy decent young players from this side of the world in the winter window just to sprinkle some Europa League-dust on them and sell them on for a profit. Shitty for the players, but easy piece of business.

Reactions: shane88
Has it been that many times?

You know, doesn't matter since BVB won their group, but I was thinking that in general, teams like BVB that get knocked out of CL group stage should more regularly buy decent young players from this side of the world in the winter window just to sprinkle some Europa League-dust on them and sell them on for a profit. Shitty for the players, but easy piece of business.

Kind do that with European players, their some talent developing in the MLS however most of the talent wouldn't be ready for a team for Dortmund ie Zarades

Look at Altidore, did decent at AZ but couldn't prove it in the Premier League

So everything has gone pretty silent on this front. Haven't heard a peep since Alajuelense put out a statement saying they wouldn't be talking about it anymore and to defer all questions to NYCFC about it.

Comparisons to Yedlin are inevitable. He was in his 2nd year in Seattle (2014) when they transferred him in August to Tottenham, who loaned him back to the Sounders for the balance of that season. The transfer fee to Spurs was €2.6 million ($3.46 million). Seattle (and MLS) doubtless benefited greatly by waiting a bit for him to develop and for him to show himself at the 2014 WC.

Comparisons to Yedlin are inevitable. He was in his 2nd year in Seattle (2014) when they transferred him in August to Tottenham, who loaned him back to the Sounders for the balance of that season. The transfer fee to Spurs was €2.6 million ($3.46 million). Seattle (and MLS) doubtless benefited greatly by waiting a bit for him to develop and for him to show himself at the 2014 WC.

You could also argue that because of that sale, they were able to get some of the key players that led to their MLS Cup. If they still had Yedlin, he would have been a DP by now meaning no Lodiero. With the sale, they were able to make some good GAM (and TAM) signings like Ivanschitz and Roman Torres, and have been able to hold onto Osvaldo Alonso.

If Mata has the year we all think he can, we expect a bigger fee than what Yedlin received and it will benefit us greatly going forward

You could also argue that because of that sale, they were able to get some of the key players that led to their MLS Cup. If they still had Yedlin, he would have been a DP by now meaning no Lodiero. With the sale, they were able to make some good GAM (and TAM) signings like Ivanschitz and Roman Torres, and have been able to hold onto Osvaldo Alonso.

If Mata has the year we all think he can, we expect a bigger fee than what Yedlin received and it will benefit us greatly going forward

Here's what I expect to happen: Mataritta goes to Manchester to train with Pep, the rest of the NYCFC players, and Man City players. He's inspired to play in Europe. Pep talks to Patrick that he's interested in Mataritta and will want him on his squad (or at least on Man City's roster) if he shows improvement in some of his abilities during the course of the season. Mataritta does improve and becomes a standout in MLS (All Star Game (if the votes come in) and Best XI). At the end of the season, Pep is content and Man City are the first bidders for Mataritta. Since the transfer fee conversion ratio to GAM is capped, there isn't a huge bidding war for Mataritta. We sell him to Man City for around $4-6M, or maybe even more, I mean it's all the same money.

We (and CFG) are berated by MLS fans, Premier League fans, and soccer fans around the world for the transfer fee between two clubs owned by the same holding company.

Here's what I expect to happen: Mataritta goes to Manchester to train with Pep, the rest of the NYCFC players, and Man City players. He's inspired to play in Europe. Pep talks to Patrick that he's interested in Mataritta and will want him on his squad (or at least on Man City's roster) if he shows improvement in some of his abilities during the course of the season. Mataritta does improve and becomes a standout in MLS (All Star Game (if the votes come in) and Best XI). At the end of the season, Pep is content and Man City are the first bidders for Mataritta. Since the transfer fee conversion ratio to GAM is capped, there isn't a huge bidding war for Mataritta. We sell him to Man City for around $4-6M, or maybe even more, I mean it's all the same money.

We (and CFG) are berated by MLS fans, Premier League fans, and soccer fans around the world for the transfer fee between two clubs owned by the same holding company.
I have 2 quibbles with this scenario. First, we won't get to accept a low bid from MCFC. The league has probably more of a say than the team does in how the bidding and sale works.

NYC: Since our take from any sale is capped we want to accept this low ball offer from MCFC that is just high enough to make sure NYCFC maxes out its share even though that means the league loses out on a few million.
Garber: Lolz. I'll handle this.​

Second, I'd have some concern that Pep or other non-MLS coaches want him in the summer transfer window if he shows that much development that fast.

Pep doesn't have time to develop a LB
There is a rule against this thanks to the crappy DC United owner
MLS owns his rights and will sell him to the appropriate high bidder

I have 2 quibbles with this scenario. First, we won't get to accept a low bid from MCFC. The league has probably more of a say than the team does in how the bidding and sale works.

NYC: Since our take from any sale is capped we want to accept this low ball offer from MCFC that is just high enough to make sure NYCFC maxes out its share even though that means the league loses out on a few million.
Garber: Lolz. I'll handle this.​

Second, I'd have some concern that Pep or other non-MLS coaches want him in the summer transfer window if he shows that much development that fast.

NYCFC's use of GAM is capped but they can use that money they get from the transfer, I believe 50% of it, for other purposes, correct?

NYCFC's use of GAM is capped but they can use that money they get from the transfer, I believe 50% of it, for other purposes, correct?
Something like that. We've gone over it many times and I don't know it by heart, but we share some portion of the amount over the GAM cap and can use it for academies and such.

Reactions: Kjbert