Messi PK

I saw it and my first thought was I didn't think you could do that. It worked though.

It's been done before, cruyff was one of those whose did it before, arsenal tried something similar and failed miserably

Don't think cruyff was the original person to do it though I think i read a tweet of it being done before them too

And no not bush league to me but if you don't succeed you look really foolish

I saw it and my first thought was I didn't think you could do that. It worked though.

As long as the other players remain outside the penalty box until the shot is taken, it's legal. It was split second timing on Suarez's part. There is controversy over whether he entered too soon depending on which angle you view.

I think the pass was absolutely brilliant and I did not find it disrespectful. I can understand T Tom in Fairfield CT's opinion. But I take a different view. To me this was a perfect moment to test this move since they were so up. Also Messi was being unselfish and gave up a goal to a teammate. Many teams could benefit by adopting the teamwork approach exhibited by Messi, Suarez and Neymar week after week.

As long as the other players remain outside the penalty box until the shot is taken, it's legal. It was split second timing on Suarez's part. There is controversy over whether he entered too soon depending on which angle you view.

I think the pass was absolutely brilliant and I did not find it disrespectful. I can understand T Tom in Fairfield CT's opinion. But I take a different view. To me this was a perfect moment to test this move since they were so up. Also Messi was being unselfish and gave up a goal to a teammate. Many teams could benefit by adopting the teamwork approach exhibited by Messi, Suarez and Neymar week after week.
And to that last point, the next time Messi takes a PK, this will be on the keeper's mind as a potential option.

It def was a bit disrespectful, if it was a player with a bad reputation their would be criticism. But Messi has cache.

It's hilarious that Cristiano Ronaldo implied that Messi gave it to Suarez to add to Suarez liga leading tally

not disrespectful. It's an option that adds to things that need to be defended in a PK situation. If the keeper is going to dive hard to one side the shooter should be able to exploit that. Since the shooter has to have one continuous movement on his run up, I think this is a fantastic tactic. You get all the movement that looks like a shot, the keeper dive hard, then your have an open net to take a shot. Of coarse you can't touch it a second time consecutively as the shooter so your teammate takes the shot. Defenders have an equal shot to clear the ball the keeper has a fair chance to hold his ground. And like soup said, now its in the keeper's head if he doesn't dive next time it makes your traditional pk all the more easier.

And then there was the comment i think the coach said. They are there to win but also to entertain. And that was very entertaining.

Reactions: FootyLovin
It def was a bit disrespectful, if it was a player with a bad reputation their would be criticism. But Messi has cache.

It's hilarious that Cristiano Ronaldo implied that Messi gave it to Suarez to add to Suarez liga leading tally
I don't think he officially gave his opinion. He said something like I know why he did it, but I'll leave it at that. Everyone is speculating that he meant he thinks messi passed on having his 300th goal being a PK because ronaldo takes so much flak for scoring a lot of PKs himself.

I don't think he officially gave his opinion. He said something like I know why he did it, but I'll leave it at that. Everyone is speculating that he meant he thinks messi passed on having his 300th goal being a PK because ronaldo takes so much flak for scoring a lot of PKs himself.

I didn't say that he said or made an official statement, we are all speculating. Either way the point is that he is obviously very sensitive.

I think that it's downright ridiculous that they would ever try something like this during a match! However, when you're up by a whole bunch of points it doesn't matter if you make the penalty or not so you might as well try something wild and see what happens.

It must have been embarrassing to have that type of penalty scored against you if you're On the opposition team.

This kind of stuff should be left on the playground.
A penalty kick is a gimme. If you are worried about the goal tender blocking your shot then you are not the player to take penalty kicks. If you don't want your 300th goal to be a pk then defer to someone else.
With that being said, as a defender you have to make sure you are the first person to any rebound. Suarez should be biting you on the back not on the chest. :eek:

Reactions: Ulrich
Showing up your opponents is not cool in my book. But you're free to do it if there's no rule against it. Just don't start crying when my tackles afterward are more aggressive. I enjoy watching hockey because being a dick during a game gets you checked.

Showing up your opponents is not cool in my book. But you're free to do it if there's no rule against it. Just don't start crying when my tackles afterward are more aggressive. I enjoy watching hockey because being a dick during a game gets you checked.
Now sure how taking a different approach to a goal is "being a dick". As has been stated, this may benefit them in future PK situations.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
The Hanson Brothers salute you!

normal.jpg