MLS - April 20 - D.C. (Home - CF)

On Bakrar, I just want to point out that our first goal owed significantly to him holding up and then springing Hannes. It was really good play from him. Still plenty to do. But the goal started with excellent play from him.

I do want to see what Jovan can do. But I don’t think there is any player I am rooting for more than Bakrar.
Honestly as I said last week, Bakrar reminds me of Taty in so many ways, and as of right now Taty is still my favorite player of all time for this team. So to say he’s just like him and can’t score (yet) means there’s so so much good to his game. Not to sound too much like Kevin, but I have so much belief the goals will come soon. (Similar to Taty’s goal drought of early 2021)

Honestly as I said last week, Bakrar reminds me of Taty in so many ways, and as of right now Taty is still my favorite player of all time for this team. So to say he’s just like him and can’t score (yet) means there’s so so much good to his game. Not to sound too much like Kevin, but I have so much belief the goals will come soon. (Similar to Taty’s goal drought of early 2021)

Bakrar does many positive things that get overshadowed by his struggles in front of goal. His movement and work rate are a big part of our offense starting to look good again. He makes space for the other attackers to operate. He keeps the CBs on their heels because he has the pace to get in behind. Benching Bakrar could lead us back to our clogged toilet offense with everything compacted down and players just trying to jam the ball into the box.

To understand what a switch to Jovan starting might look like I'd highly recommend this article from the outfield for insights into Jovan's style: All He Does Is Score Goals . I'm not going to rehash the article as it explains things far better than I would but Jovan and Bakrar are very different players and a switch to Jovan is going to be a significant shift in approach for a team just starting to find its footing offensively. It could also set us back in the press. I'm trying to withhold judgment because Jovan is not fit and he's only played limited time at the end of games but his effort level in the press so far looks much closer to the Magno slow jog than Bakar's Taty level work rate.

Bakrar does many positive things that get overshadowed by his struggles in front of goal. His movement and work rate are a big part of our offense starting to look good again. He makes space for the other attackers to operate. He keeps the CBs on their heels because he has the pace to get in behind. Benching Bakrar could lead us back to our clogged toilet offense with everything compacted down and players just trying to jam the ball into the box.

To understand what a switch to Jovan starting might look like I'd highly recommend this article from the outfield for insights into Jovan's style: All He Does Is Score Goals . I'm not going to rehash the article as it explains things far better than I would but Jovan and Bakrar are very different players and a switch to Jovan is going to be a significant shift in approach for a team just starting to find its footing offensively. It could also set us back in the press. I'm trying to withhold judgment because Jovan is not fit and he's only played limited time at the end of games but his effort level in the press so far looks much closer to the Magno slow jog than Bakar's Taty level work rate.

Agreed , I think Bakrar’s work rate is fantastic and the way he harasses and terrorizes other teams back line results in turnovers and mistakes that creates chances for the team

Looking back at some of our best regular season runs, we've had MONSTER stretches without a goal scored on us.

We're currently at 200+ minutes without conceding.

Part of it is the opponents, part of it is the way we've played after getting 1-0 leads, but it's a nice stat to build on. We're currently one of the tougher teams in the league to break down, and if our STs start putting a few in the back of the net, this season could be turning around in a flash.

Looking back at some of our best regular season runs, we've had MONSTER stretches without a goal scored on us.

We're currently at 200+ minutes without conceding.

Part of it is the opponents, part of it is the way we've played after getting 1-0 leads, but it's a nice stat to build on. We're currently one of the tougher teams in the league to break down, and if our STs start putting a few in the back of the net, this season could be turning around in a flash.
That's the way I see it, too. The foundation is in place and now we can build on it.

Yesterday was a very, very encouraging performance, regardless of D.C.'s missing pieces. We had a job to do and went about it in a professional manner and got the win. Mission accomplished.

The next game is the one where we get to see how far we've come. Charlotte is a decent -- not great -- team, and they're just above us in the table. Depending on what happens this evening, we could have the opportunity to leapfrog them into eighth place in the conference.

And if we beat them, not only would we be two points above the 10-game target, but our GD would go positive as well.

So, let's see what we got here, kids.

[*Ed. note: Charlotte got smoked at home by the Loons and we are indeed now eighth in the conference on goal differential; we're tied on points with the Crown. We're tied on points with Atlanta too, but they have a game in hand and a GD of +4. The Five Stripes play the Fire in Chicago next.]

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenny
That's the way I see it, too. The foundation is in place and now we can build on it.

Yesterday was a very, very encouraging performance, regardless of D.C.'s missing pieces. We had a job to do and went about it in a professional manner and got the win. Mission accomplished.

The next game is the one where we get to see how far we've come. Charlotte is a decent -- not great -- team, and they're just above us in the table. Depending on what happens this evening, we could have the opportunity to leapfrog them into eighth place in the conference.

And if we beat them, not only would we be two points above the 10-game target, but our GD would go positive as well.

So, let's see what we got here, kids.
I agree. Each game of this home stand the team has looked better and better. The press has improved and started to turn into a quicker attack. Earlier this season the team didn’t seem to know what to do with the ball but now there is purpose moving it up the field.
I may be a newer fan (started watching mid season 2023 and STH started 2024) so I don’t know the history but last season I saw a stagnant team that couldn’t move the ball. The last 3 games I’ve seen a stronger defense and more confidence in teammates moving the ball up the field. Shots are actually starting to be on target and if we can get them in I think we’ve got a dangerous squad here.
Also, Bakrar does so much well on the field that I wouldn’t want to take him out. He just needs a goal to break the ice.

On Bakrar, I just want to point out that our first goal owed significantly to him holding up and then springing Hannes. It was really good play from him. Still plenty to do. But the goal started with excellent play from him.

I do want to see what Jovan can do. But I don’t think there is any player I am rooting for more than Bakrar.

He does everything right. Except finish. My issue is that he's a No. 9 -- if he can't finish, he can't start. I want the guy to succeed -- he does everything else so well that if he becomes a 10-goal scorer he's massive for us. But a No. 9 that can't finish is going to kill us.

Reactions: Shwafta
On the defensive side of things, the press appears to be working again, and more importantly, the midfielders and defenders look like they now trust the attacking front to execute well enough that they are willing to spring forward in support. Up until the last two games, we have been stuck in a bad place where Sands and Parks looked like they would often avoid coming forward in support of the press for fear of being caught out when one of the attackers missed a trigger and exposed us to an easy line breaking pass. Then some of our attackers would start giving less effort in the press because they weren't getting support.

I know I'm attributing a lot to him but I think Bakrar is the catalyst for all of this. The way he aggressively presses sets the tone for the rest of the team. Given his pace and tenacity, he closes the other team down so quickly that it creates situations where the other guys see an opportunity to win the ball back so they join in more often and with higher levels of intensity.

On the defensive side of things, the press appears to be working again, and more importantly, the midfielders and defenders look like they now trust the attacking front to execute well enough that they are willing to spring forward in support. Up until the last two games, we have been stuck in a bad place where Sands and Parks looked like they would often avoid coming forward in support of the press for fear of being caught out when one of the attackers missed a trigger and exposed us to an easy line breaking pass. Then some of our attackers would start giving less effort in the press because they weren't getting support.

I know I'm attributing a lot to him but I think Bakrar is the catalyst for all of this. The way he aggressively presses sets the tone for the rest of the team. Given his pace and tenacity, he closes the other team down so quickly that it creates situations where the other guys see an opportunity to win the ball back so they join in more often and with higher levels of intensity.
I agree about Bakrar and it's why benching him would be a bad idea IMO. Is there a way to play with both Bakrar and Jovan on the field? I guess not?

I agree about Bakrar and it's why benching him would be a bad idea IMO. Is there a way to play with both Bakrar and Jovan on the field? I guess not?

The scouting reports on Jovan say that he has and can play all 4 of the attacking positions so it is possible, but Jovan and Bakrar are the only #9s on the team so if you start both we have limited sub-options. One more reason I remain far more frustrated with David Lee than Cushing. Even in a scenario where one is the sub for another Lee didn't do us any favors by getting two #9s that play a very different style from one another and will require constant tactical adjustment to adapt the approach based on which one is on the pitch.

Reactions: Kenny and moogoo
Sure, we could run a 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-2-2-2 with both of them on top. VfB has run all of them this season in the Bundesliga with very good results.

Deniz Undav and Serhou Guirassy even profile in a somewhat comparable way to Jovan and Mounsef (I say somewhat because Guirassy is taller and lankier than Bakrar).

Interesting fact: Serhou's career high in goals was 11 last year with Stuttgart. Before that, the only other time he was in double digits was in 2020-21 with Stade Rennais (Rennes) when he scored 10; he had two other seasons with 9 goals, one with Rennes and the other with Amiens.

This season he has 25 goals in 21 starts.

I have no idea what tactical ideas Nick has in his briefcase. I don't know what we've been working on. But there are plenty of options with the depth and versatility in this squad.

Sure, we could run a 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-2-2-2 with both of them on top. VfB has run all of them this season in the Bundesliga with very good results.

Deniz Undav and Serhou Guirassy even profile in a somewhat comparable way to Jovan and Mounsef (I say somewhat because Guirassy is taller and lankier than Bakrar).

Interesting fact: Serhou's career high in goals was 11 last year with Stuttgart. Before that, the only other time he was in double digits was in 2020-21 with Stade Rennais (Rennes) when he scored 10; he had two other seasons with 9 goals, one with Rennes and the other with Amiens.

This season he has 25 goals in 21 starts.

I have no idea what tactical ideas Nick has in his briefcase. I don't know what we've been working on. But there are plenty of options with the depth and versatility in this squad.

It sounds like Jovan likes to drift towards the ball like a CF. This could pair nicely with Bakrar's get in behind style. The problem is fitting our other personal into any of those formations. To make it work you're displacing Santi, our best player, from his most effective spot at CAM. Fernandez and Ojeda look like pure wingers and you're dispplacing them as well right as their finding someone form. I don't think that level of disruption to some of our most productive players is worth it.

None of our attackers defend well enough to slot into any of the midfield roles in those formations either. Santi is an effective presser but he doesn't put in tackles and win balls well enough to play in the midfield. Same for Ojeda. Fernandez and Wolf are slightly more physical and could maybe defend but it's still not ideal.

Last edited:
It sounds like Jovan likes to drift towards the ball like a CF. This could pair nicely with Bakrar's get in behind style. The problem is fitting our other personal into any of those formations. To make it work you're displacing Santi, our best player, from his most effective spot at CAM. Fernandez and Ojeda look like pure wingers and you're dispplacing them as well right as their finding someone form. I don't think that level of disruption to some of our most productive players is worth it.

None of our attackers defend well enough to slot into any of the midfield roles in those formations either. Santi is an effective presser but he doesn't put in tackles and win balls well enough to play in the midfield. Same for Ojeda. Fernandez and Wolf are slightly more physical and could maybe defend but it's still not ideal.
It's a little tricky for sure. It's possible to do it, but you're right, it's not consistent with our favored Starting XI.

Fun to think about, though. Having two young, dynamic forwards up top with a solid back line and a flexible midfield must be tempting to play with. On the training ground, at least.

One of our current key players would have to sit, of course. And it most definitely wouldn't be Santi. 😆

Reactions: gbservis