MNUFC Postmatch

Thought TMac looked good in the midfield, but poor in the final third.
This is probably pretty fair. My beef is that he only made safe passes. He had one play in the first half where made a beautiful turn out of pressure, and instead of driving the ball into the space he opened on his turn, he quarter turned back to where the pressure was going and passed to a centerback. That was just an example of why I don't rate him.

That being said, he did at least turn away from the initial pressure, which is something he hasn't done often.

I also don't know why it's necessary to fall with every pass or trap. It's slapstick.

Maybe it wasn't his worst game. But it exhibited his worst flaws and underlined his inability to finish plays as of late.

Okay. You know how you have a 94% pass rate as the attacking mid? By doing nothing to push the ball forward.

Frankly, I was just pointing out that a metric known to be skewed to "actions", as that's all they can measure, still didn't rate him as one of the better players.

Frankly, I've pointed to several instances where he shit the bed. You haven't pointed to anything he did well. Until you do, I'll consider you done blabbering.
(And I fixed the "illicit" before your post. Stupid is contagious, I guess. Fortunately, I'm a quick healer.)

Frantically trying to keep up with all your edits here, but OK.

You claimed that metric said he was our worst starter, and you were wrong, but probably best for us both if we move on from that.

You said he was "a step off, always flailing about, mostly playing the wrong ball and generally 2 steps behind the play". (Ambassador, with this subjective criticism, you are really spoiling us). The performance I saw didn't really reflect that, and I don't really see hordes of people on here backing you up on that. But OK.

I think Tommy Mac is a backup player for this team. One of our best players was out injured, and ol' "Ucubed" was asked once again to fill in. And tonight I thought the drop-off in quality was not as noticeable as it's been in previous games - and holy shit, our midfield battered them out there. For that, I think McNamara - a local player who's put a decent shift in for this team - deserves a pat on the back. Not an MVP award, or a new contract - just a "well done". I get that you've got this "Ucubed" routine going that might even get some momentum if you keep trying hard enough (and lord knows, few people try on this forum like you do). But I think McNamara deserves a bit better than that after the past couple of games. Which is why I gave him a brief shoutout, among all the other players I decided to mention. Apologies if it gets in the way of your routine, but I'm sure there are plenty of other posters on here who will still laugh at your jokes regardless. No need to fret.

I'm gonna point out the guys who are most maligned and what they did really well tonight (not even going to mention anything they did wrong):

Lopez played a pretty solid Right Back. Terrified when he came in, but he locked down the side pretty well and while he didn't make typical overlaps, he did get into the attack a number of times.

Lurch cleared a bunch of dangerous crosses with fingertip touches. Definitely think slosh would've flubbed them and he'd also have let Minnesota tie us 3-3.

TMac made a couple of ridiculous cross-field passes to Harrison. Earlier in the season he was shorting them by 10-15m, but tonight he hit him right on the sideline and gave Jack a chance to go 1v1 with his man.

Pirlo put a shuffle move on two guys and sent a crazy throughball on the ground between the two CB's only to have DV offside because he wasn't expecting the no-look pass.

Sweat once again found himself involved in the scoring and is becoming a legitimately dangerous player going forward. He's got a pretty wicked cross and has added a no-look pass on the ground to Villa as the changeup from the wing.

The team as a whole did well playing the ball on attack and not kicking it out with a Minnesota player down injured. First time all year we didn't cave and we put them under real pressure that didn't stop until they got the ball. That's the attitude we have to keep all game. Man down - then win the ball and stop play yourselves.

Frantically trying to keep up with all your edits here, but OK.

You claimed that metric said he was our worst starter, and you were wrong, but probably best for us both if we move on from that.

You said he was "a step off, always flailing about, mostly playing the wrong ball and generally 2 steps behind the play". (Ambassador, with this subjective criticism, you are really spoiling us). The performance I saw didn't really reflect that, and I don't really see hordes of people on here backing you up on that. But OK.

I think Tommy Mac is a backup player for this team. One of our best players was out injured, and ol' "Ucubed" was asked once again to fill in. And tonight I thought the drop-off in quality was not as noticeable as it's been in previous games - and holy shit, our midfield battered them out there. For that, I think McNamara - a local player who's put a decent shift in for this team - deserves a pat on the back. Not an MVP award, or a new contract - just a "well done". I get that you've got this "Ucubed" routine going that might even get some momentum if you keep trying hard enough (and lord knows, few people try on this forum like you do). But I think McNamara deserves a bit better than that after the past couple of games. Which is why I gave him a brief shoutout, among all the other players I decided to mention. Apologies if it gets in the way of your routine, but I'm sure there are plenty of other posters on here who will still laugh at your jokes regardless. No need to fret.
See above. And the two clear chances where he looked like he was trying to pull of a comedy routine himself.

So hey, Tmac and I both have jokes and love handles. And you have the last word, which is good for you, since it's apparently taxing on you to keep up.

Hugs and kisses.

I'm gonna point out the guys who are most maligned and what they did really well tonight (not even going to mention anything they did wrong):

Lopez played a pretty solid Right Back. Terrified when he came in, but he locked down the side pretty well and while he didn't make typical overlaps, he did get into the attack a number of times.

Lurch cleared a bunch of dangerous crosses with fingertip touches. Definitely think slosh would've flubbed them and he'd also have let Minnesota tie us 3-3.

TMac made a couple of ridiculous cross-field passes to Harrison. Earlier in the season he was shorting them by 10-15m, but tonight he hit him right on the sideline and gave Jack a chance to go 1v1 with his man.

Pirlo put a shuffle move on two guys and sent a crazy throughball on the ground between the two CB's only to have DV offside because he wasn't expecting the no-look pass.

Sweat once again found himself involved in the scoring and is becoming a legitimately dangerous player going forward. He's got a pretty wicked cross and has added a no-look pass on the ground to Villa as the changeup from the wing.

The team as a whole did well playing the ball on attack and not kicking it out with a Minnesota player down injured. First time all year we didn't cave and we put them under real pressure that didn't stop until they got the ball. That's the attitude we have to keep all game. Man down - then win the ball and stop play yourselves.
That's Minnesota nice.

I have an incredibly unpopular opinion, probably. But if we signed a DP LW instead of having Pirlo, I'd say our offense would be perfect. I love with Rodney does, and his workrate and tracking back is exceptional... I wish he had more awareness offensively to get a shot off quickly, or hit something first-time. He should have many more goals than he does and it feels like it takes him forever to cock back his leg to shoot.

I have an incredibly unpopular opinion, probably. But if we signed a DP LW instead of having Pirlo, I'd say our offense would be perfect. I love with Rodney does, and his workrate and tracking back is exceptional... I wish he had more awareness offensively to get a shot off quickly, or hit something first-time. He should have many more goals than he does and it feels like it takes him forever to cock back his leg to shoot.
I thought the same thing - he was released so many times and took an extra touch that made him miss his opportunity.

Agreed, that extra touch was unnecessary

See, this is all good and fun if Tommy was getting paid like he was last year. But fact of the matter, he got double the salary, and he hasn't been as good as he was last year as is. Tommy is going to get increased criticism as long as he takes up such a big salary in a league where salary is always tight. For example, he makes more than Callens, Harrison, Herrera, and Matarrita. If this wasn't the case, I think people would go easier on him.

See, this is all good and fun if Tommy was getting paid like he was last year. But fact of the matter, he got double the salary, and he hasn't been as good as he was last year as is. Tommy is going to get increased criticism as long as he takes up such a big salary in a league where salary is always tight. For example, he makes more than Callens, Harrison, Herrera, and Matarrita. If this wasn't the case, I think people would go easier on him.

Totally agree he's overpaid, and totally agree he should have been traded months ago. Just don't think he's the black hole shitshow that some would have you believe.

Very fair criticism. Had a convo with mgarbowski mgarbowski about this during the game. My conclusion is that given all of the qualities you mention, I'll take a guy who makes the right run and right pass pretty much every time, even though his final ball is lacking occasionally (at least when it comes to finishing, as his rate of getting in deadly crosses seems pretty high) at his salary.

It's uncanny how good he is at getting to the right spots. I wouldn't displace him. I don't think we can afford to get a DP left wing when we have to play Sweat so often, as I don't think a winger with top finisher qualities is going to put in the work to cover for us.

To summarize, totally fair criticism. But I think there's too much else we would give up. Rod does the dirty stuff, and he's willing to be the 3rd or 4th option in attack and facilitate and defend.

That cross he played today was sick, btw. The biggest thing with his finishing to me is he needs to understand he doesn't have to put the keeper in the back of the net along with the ball (as he did to Bill Hamid, for example). He just hits his shots so damn hard (thus the windup) and it's not necessary. Must be symptomatic of the way he does everything.

ETA: even granting the criticism, he was probably the 2nd or 3rd best player for us tonight for me.

Okay, Eirik screwed up, but as the game went on he got better. He's rusty, but he'll do better next week. And better the week after. I still trust him as our backup keeper to step in when Johnson is out.

I'd like to know how RJ and White were late to the team meeting...

I said Matarrita should not be playing, or at least starting, in this game. He's still coming back from injury. It's a right foot injury and I think he's going to be out for a while the way he was acting on the sideline and what the doctor/medical team was doing with him. He was in tears on the sideline, not because of pain, but because he knows it's going to affect his career. He had to be carted off. Don't know why he thought he could get up and play. He ran on the following MNUFC attack and then just dropped. Sad news. Here's to a speedy recovery.

That being said, Lopez stepped in and did his job today in a RB role. Can't name a single big mistake he had on the night. The player that performed most above expectations.

Other highlights of the night was that the Minnesota players actually responded to the pitch side fans calling them out. Kevin Molino is Sisqo. Christian Ramirez, get off the field. And had a good time with Peter, the sideline official. A few winks and nods in my direction. Another Forum member who sat pitch side tonight spotted me.

3-1 win vs. expansion Atlanta United and 3-1 win vs. expansion Minnesota United. Coincidence, I think not.

4th straight win, 3rd straight comeback. The former ties our club record. The former, I don't know.

Somewhat mid fived with Vieira after the Villa goal. Damn that goal was sexy, just the hypnokit we were wearing on the night.

I had to explain the offside rule to a woman sitting pitch side. She asked why the Wallace goal didn't count. Well, because it didn't go in the goal, deceptive to the eye as it hit the outside and back netting. The offside Minnesota goal was not a goal because of offside. To which I explain what offside was to which she replied, "That's a thing." "Yes, that's a thing" I responded.

Please let that be Pirlo's final appearance for NYCFC. He got his standing ovation. Honestly, no reason to put him in at that point in the game unless it's for ceremonial purposes. I don't know if we need another DP, but we need that 400K+ on cap space to sign one or two additional good players to bolster our lineup.

Last edited:
Horrible mistake by Lurch, but I wonder if the drop-off in quality from SeanJ to Lurch is in any way steeper than the drop off between other starters and their subs? For example, Maxi to TMac, Villa to Okoli, Harrison to JLew, Ring or Herrera to Mikey, etc. The team is thin. No news there.

Okay, Eirik screwed up, but as the game went on he got better. He's rusty, but he'll do better next week. And better the week after. I still trust him as our backup keeper to step in when Johnson is out.
Never change. You are a loyal SOB. Respect for that.

(I'm trying Ulrich Ulrich's approach in this reply)

I

I said Matarrita should not be playing in this game. He's still coming back from injury. It's a right foot injury and I think he's going to be out for a while the way he was acting on the sideline and what the doctor/medical team was doing with him. He had to be carted off. Don't know why he thought he could get up and play. He ran on the following MNUFC attack and then just dropped. Sad news. Here's to a speedy recovery.

That being said, Lopez stepped in and did his job today in a RB role.

Other highlights of the night was that the Minnesota players actually responded to the pitch side fans calling them out. Kevin Molino is Sisqo. Christian Ramirez, get off the field. And had a good time with Peter, the sideline official. A few winks and nods in my direction.

3-1 win vs. Atlanta and 3-1 win vs. Minnesota. Coincidence, I think not.

4th straight win, 3rd straight comeback. The former ties our club record. The former, I don't know.

Somewhat mid fived with Vieira after the Villa goal. Damn that goal was sexy.

Please let that be Pirlo's final appearance for NYCFC. He got his standing ovation. Honestly, no reason to put him in at that point in the game unless it's for ceremonial purposes.

I have to agree with the Pirlo assessment. He had one notable long ball, and everything else was terribly slow, and mostly lateral or backwards, against a really really bad team that didn't put him under any consistent pressure at all. He even played a ball unnecessarily back to Lurch (if he had acted a bit more promptly he would have had tons of other options) that caught the goalie somewhat out of position and almost became a problem. I really wish he would retire asap.

Horrible mistakes by Lurch
Fixed my quibble. You make a very strong point. I think what gets people down (or at least me) is that there are so many keepers we could sign for similar money who don't give up howlers at that sort of rate. It's one thing to do it occasionally. Thus far, he has done it at a rate I'd put at a little over 1 per start in MLS.

And honestly, that wasn't his worst mistake. A spill can happen occasionally. But things like retreating to your line on a ball that hangs up for 6 seconds to leave your tiny makeshift RB one on one to fight it out with one of the most powerful strikers in the league is absolutely unforgivable. For a 6'8" keeper, it's unthinkable. Yet it was a repeat occurrence.

(ETA: And now I unwound my Ulrich Ulrich approach)

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Rewatching now, and I knew Cronin was a good DM, but I think Caitlin may have been right and I WAS under rating him.

He was sitting on Ring and Herrera - which might explain why The player formerly known as Ucubed had so much space and so many pass completions. I think Heath may have tactically set up to allow TPFKAU space and dare him to create. Fortunately, TPFKAU was able to get it to the wide or other players enough that we could create chances.

Oh, and as usual, the ref was a joke.