Mullins to DCU

We definitely must be looking to add another forward this month. Losing Mullins, and adding another international spot when sending Mendoza out would have been a much easier solution for that.

This might be clearing an opening for Orlando Barrio.

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
We definitely must be looking to add another forward this month. Losing Mullins, and adding another international spot when sending Mendoza out would have been a much easier solution for that.

This might be clearing an opening for Orlando Barrio.
We can get Barrio on a free transfer in January if he wants to come here.

Reactions: sbrylski
Well, I will never forget his goal in our historic home opener (which has additional significance to me since I was taking a beer-induced "break" during Villa's historic goal in our historic home opener). I do wish him the best and hope he succeeds.

DC also traded Espindola to Vancouver for allocation money (that they then sent to us.) Kinda wish we would have just traded Mullins straight up for him.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC and adam
Last edited:
This is an interesting move. Probably a good one for all involved. Mullins needs (and deserves) more PT, but wasn't getting it on a team that only plays one striker and has David Villa. I have to think we are going to go get another forward before the transfer season is over, however, as we do need a good backup for Villa. I think Khiry could do it, but Mullins is depth that needs to be replaced.

Reactions: Kjbert
DC also traded Espindola to Vancouver for allocation money (that they then sent to us.) Kinda wish we would have just traded Mullins straight up for him.
Espindola is not the type of player you want on NYCFC, especially with Villa as the other striker. He will frustrate Villa so much. Henry couldn't stand Espindola.

Reactions: Kjbert and sbrylski
Ho hum ho hum. Patrick Mullins is an avg MLS player on his best day. Frankly he is not very good. Not a big loss. I have been thinking about this a since the Cosmos loss in the US Open Cup but I believe that loss sealed the fate for the following players: Poku, Mix, and Mullins. PV was noticeably very upset after that loss and threw the players under the bus and I believe after that loss to the lonely Cosmos, he said no more with Poku, Mix, and Mullins.

Ho hum ho hum. Patrick Mullins is an avg MLS player on his best day. Frankly he is not very good. Not a big loss. I have been thinking about this a since the Cosmos loss in the US Open Cup but I believe that loss sealed the fate for the following players: Poku, Mix, and Mullins. PV was noticeably very upset after that loss and threw the players under the bus and I believe after that loss to the lonely Cosmos, he said no more with Poku, Mix, and Mullins.

so this international spot is for the new defender right ?

weird he was playing with us this past weekend...good luck to him except when he plays us.

Reactions: Kjbert
Mullins will go to DCU, play in a 2 striker formation and bag 7-9 goals probably. Not the right fit here, but he definitely has skills - enough to play in MLS.

This move is so DC United - they only load up on players who have been in MLS before. Bennyball it is. Hope the allocation offer was good.

2 down, 1 big (and potentially untradeable in MLS) contract to go.

If we're expecting to build a team by collecting all the international spots in the league, I don't see that as sustainable.

Mullins isn't a special player, but he was useful enough, and was unbelievably roster friendly. Going out and dropping $150k on an international striker to be a backup makes this team weaker at other key positions.

I guess this team is in a win now mode with the three aging DPs, but we're shedding just about all of our cheap domestic talent at this point. It's not sustainable to count on international players for most of your depth in MLS.

If we're expecting to build a team by collecting all the international spots in the league, I don't see that as sustainable.

Mullins isn't a special player, but he was useful enough, and was unbelievably roster friendly. Going out and dropping $150k on an international striker to be a backup makes this team weaker at other key positions.

I guess this team is in a win now mode with the three aging DPs, but we're shedding just about all of our cheap domestic talent at this point. It's not sustainable to count on international players for most of your depth in MLS.

Why? With he allocation money, the cost of the international player could mirror the cost of Mullins.

Americans aren't necessarily cheaper than internationals

Reactions: adam and Ulrich

it is that....win now mode...it may blow up in the face, as much as i like the run we have i still dont think we are favorites in this league thats so whacky all the time.

still, i dont mind the approach until we start producing out own....which may take a few years at least. also ...mullins may have wanted to play and requested the trade....cant really blame him can you?

Reactions: adam and Ulrich