New 2015 Roster Rules

I think the owners are right in keeping the cap down. Paying your players more doesn't make them better. Where are all these Americans that we can suddenly sign if teams had more cap room? They don't exist.

We could increase the cap and sign more foreigners, probably, but that's not a long term strategy for improving the league. By keeping the salary cap and international player slots low, we are actually encouraging teams to set up domestic academies to develop talent. Which is what our incentive structure should be doing.

Until we start losing non-DPs to foreign leagues at a substantial rate, there is no reason to increase the cap. The simple fact is our players are getting paid exactly what the international market values them at.

Look no further than Mix. One of the better Americans in the world, and he still fits snugly under the cap as a non-DP, and nobody else in the world is offering him more money. Seems to me that the cap is calibrated quite well.
Mix's salary was bought down with garber bucks

Reactions: Gavin23
How many mexican American talents are we losing to Mexico though? Couldn't "Better" rules might allow us to keep them in the league and not have Liga MX clubs poach from our academies?

What are the numbers on this? I know it's happened a few times, and you're right, it's probably something to address.

What are the numbers on this? I know it's happened a few times, and you're right, it's probably something to address.
I'm not sure about the numbers on this right now, but I can vouch that this has happened several times to people that I grew up with and used to go to grade school with. 3-4 times if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think so.

These new "roster rules" are changes from the recent 2015 CBA negotiations. They'll be "law of the land" for the next 5 years. After 5 years, they'll renegotiate another contract for the next X years.

I don't think think this is true. For example, the salary cap is supposed to increase 7% each year under this CBA, so at least that will be updated. I think other terms not CBA-negotiated would also be up for readjustment each year, there's nothing preventing it.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2015/3/5/8156205/mls-cba-details-salary-cap

I don't think think this is true. For example, the salary cap is supposed to increase 7% each year under this CBA, so at least that will be updated. I think other terms not CBA-negotiated would also be up for readjustment each year, there's nothing preventing it.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2015/3/5/8156205/mls-cba-details-salary-cap
It was 5% increase per year so this is a upgrade. Salary cap has been increasing for the last 10 years. And no, most terms are set for 5 years.

Sounders media...