Nil Satis Nisi Optimum--official Everton Thread

Yeah, there's a big revenue gap between the top 6 and the other 14 teams.

Manchester United - $700m
Man City - $550m
Chelsea - $515m
Arsenal - $480m
Liverpool - $400m
Spurs - $290m

Newcastle and Everton are the next highest with about $200m, the new Premier League TV deal starts next year and it will give every team an extra $50m-$60m, there's some talk of a new stadium in the works too, there's a lot of room for Everton to grow and when they do they'll have a much better chance of keeping some of their best players.
And Spurs and New Castle haven't done anything with their money. When was either team champions of the PL?

Is it a money factor that keeps them from retaining players?
I imagine it's also a factor that Everton are a long shot for the Champions League. So, the Big Four can both pay more and offer more (potential) glory, at the likely price of being benched a lot more often. I'd bet that the latter issue is the main thing that would keep Stones at Everton... Stay a Toffee and start every match, or go to Utd or City and make more money but ride the bench.

The extra TV money will help the squad, but at the same time *all* the teams will benefit from the deal so the Big Four will remain the Big Four.

I think Kenwright is basically happy with the size of club he owns. He'd rather be financially responsible and have a quality team that's an EPL perennial than potentially go into huge debt in order to win the league.

Last edited:
My ESPN app tells me that Macca has just signed a new 5 year deal.

HT_sam_griner_then_02_jef_150413_16x9_992.jpg

Reactions: Keith Putnam
Ugh. Well, you have to credit Watford here. Honestly they deserved to win that match.

I hope the lesson Martinez had learned here is that the whole squad needs composure under pressure. I saw way too much panicked "passing" that undermined so many potential attacking buildups.

Impressed by Galloway despite really missing Baines.

That Kone goal assisted by Lukaku was a perfect illustration of why Martinez needs to play Lukaku as part of a duo up top rather than as a lone striker. I really hope we see a quality, quick, aggressive striker brought in by September that Lukaku can act as a target man for.

Hey, at least it wasn't a loss!

Everton have signed 18-year-old defender Mason Holgate, whose name I only recognize because I actually brought him into my NYCFC squad in FIFA 15.

http://espnfc.com/soccer-transfers/story/2561755/everton-sign-mason-holgate-from-barnsley
Any good in FIFA? What I've heard is he's got potential. I feel like Roberto is taking a very patient approach to building our roster. We've been surprisingly good at holding on to the quality we have and bringing in pieces here and there. If Holgate is good enough to step into the first team within the next year or two we could have a pair of solid young center backs.

What do you guys think of this signing? I've never heard of the guy and can't really put in my two cents because of this.

Like I said, I've heard he's a promising English defender, but Martinez has admitted he's not expecting him to perform in the Prem right away. One for the future. He'll go to the U21 and we might see him for a game or two later this year.

Fantastic win today, and even better to break the hoodoo of losing to Southampton away after the last however many times that's happened.

Tossup for MOTM between Lukaku and Barkley for me... Lukaku obviously scored twice, but Barkley's goal was choice and he had that gorgeous assist to Lukaku.

Beautiful day to be a Toffee.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
Just bought tickets to go to woodison tomorrow
City fans in the Everton end should be fun,must rember to clap and cheer at the right time !!
Like going to goodison its like going to a 1950s ground in the middle of a war zone