NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Reactions: Kjbert and sundance
I'm surprised no one else reported this, Mike from BlueCityRadio was playing the audio of Vieira's interview from earlier in the day before our podcast and someone asked him if Sands would join the team again and his answer was "absolutely, without a question" so it seems Vieira is riding the hype train.

Sands is too young for a hype train. All about the HYPER LOOP!

Maybe he wanted to finish out with the U17's and this was the case all along. With the residency program ending he would of known he'd be back home and could then join the club. They likely don't sign him but perhaps he trains all season and then joins the team officially next year.

Reactions: Kjbert
Maybe he wanted to finish out with the U17's and this was the case all along. With the residency program ending he would of known he'd be back home and could then join the club. They likely don't sign him but perhaps he trains all season and then joins the team officially next year.

Why wait? He's just leaving money on the table. They would have released him for the u17s.

I think it's far more likely he's expecting a good showing at the u17s to firm up international interest, and then hold out until he's 18 to sign abroad.

Side note, Gio is two years younger. I could see him signing next year because it would be two full seasons of pro ball before he turns 18. But then again, didn't someone say he has a European passport for some reason? If so, he could leave for a top European academy sooner than later.

Why wait? He's just leaving money on the table. They would have released him for the u17s.

I think it's far more likely he's expecting a good showing at the u17s to firm up international interest, and then hold out until he's 18 to sign abroad.

Side note, Gio is two years younger. I could see him signing next year because it would be two full seasons of pro ball before he turns 18. But then again, didn't someone say he has a European passport for some reason? If so, he could leave for a top European academy sooner than later.

For some reason? Wasn't he born in the U.K.?

Reactions: Kjbert

I really hope not. If we lose our two best prospects without compensation before we get any homegrowns on the roster or sell anyone for money, then what's the point? I give no shits about developing great players for Europe or winning U17 tournaments.

I fully expect Gio to sign next year. Training with the first team will be huge for his development. And it's not uncommon for truly gifted youth to break on to the Senior squad by 16. Even if he only gets spot minutes, he could be the automatic free kick taker with some of the recent placement he's had.

I would be VERY surprised if Gio signed a contract with NYCFC. Much more likely Sands signs and becomes a contributor

Given how many times in the past European clubs have come to raid MLS Academy teams, I think we're OK. You guys may be getting a little bit too excited, and you may be reading a little bit too much into a 2nd flight tournament win...