NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Watching Herrera in his age group makes it clear why CFG wanted him.
For NYCFC, you mean? I still don't think he's anything but a flier for the club as a whole. Unless it's indicative of a strategy change to do the Chelsea thing (it's not).

Herrera has at least another year or two here. Then, maybe he goes to Bundesliga. Venezuela's full NT is so far down the world rankings, he may never qualify for a work permit for two cycles.

They won't have a meaningful game until 2019.

For NYCFC, you mean? I still don't think he's anything but a flier for the club as a whole. Unless it's indicative of a strategy change to do the Chelsea thing (it's not).

Herrera has at least another year or two here. Then, maybe he goes to Bundesliga. Venezuela's full NT is so far down the world rankings, he may never qualify for a work permit for two cycles.

Then again, Venezuela has been improving, and this U20 is just killing it. They were the big surprise in the CONMEBOL qualifiers for the WC, and now they are the big surprise of the WC, which for us is bad news because they seem poised for a deep run

Reactions: Kjbert

No. I mean for them. Look st Roberts. Very good chance he won't feature for MCFC for 3 years from purchase.

No. I mean for them. Look st Roberts. Very good chance he won't feature for MCFC for 3 years from purchase.
I'm saying they bought him for NYCFC. If things break right, sure, he may get a chance.

But unlikely, for him or Roberts, imo. Roberts has a better chance b/c he fills home slots for Euro comps.

As for Marito Marito's point, yes, but that u20 group isn't going to make them better than Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Uruguay overnight. And even if it did, they still won't have a meaningful game for 2 years. Then, they'll need to win practically all of them, while always capping Yangel, for a few more years.

You catch my drift, now?

Now, kjbert, do you really want to stand by the idea that CFG really wanted him desperately for MCFC?

I'm saying they bought him for NYCFC. If things break right, sure, he may get a chance.

But unlikely, for him or Roberts, imo. Roberts has a better chance b/c he fills home slots for Euro comps.

As for Marito Marito's point, yes, but that u20 group isn't going to make them better than Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Uruguay overnight. And even if it did, they still won't have a meaningful game for 2 years. Then, they'll need to win practically all of them, while always capping Yangel, for a few more years.

You catch my drift, now?

Now, kjbert, do you really want to stand by the idea that CFG really wanted him desperately for MCFC?

I don't follow Man City like a fan. But in the last 4 years, they've bought 3 "prospects" - Kelechi Iheanacho, Patrick Roberts and Yangel Herrera. Iheanacho has featured for two years. Sounds like hes moving on, but he's featured. Roberts has now outgrown Celtic. We don't know what will happen next year, but from what I've read, Pep may bring him in the fold starting this summer. That brings us to Herrera.

NO ONE wants to believe more than me that we are skirting the rules to have the mother ship buy us players. I just struggle to think that Pep, like his predecessor, gives two shits about Melbourne or New York. The acquisition of Herrera was part of FFP. They still need to make numbers work.

I would be much more inclined to believe they are copying Chelsea with the intention to balance the books.

I don't follow Man City like a fan. But in the last 4 years, they've bought 3 "prospects" - Kelechi Iheanacho, Patrick Roberts and Yangel Herrera. Iheanacho has featured for two years. Sounds like hes moving on, but he's featured. Roberts has now outgrown Celtic. We don't know what will happen next year, but from what I've read, Pep may bring him in the fold starting this summer. That brings us to Herrera.

NO ONE wants to believe more than me that we are skirting the rules to have the mother ship buy us players. I just struggle to think that Pep, like his predecessor, gives two shits about Melbourne or New York. The acquisition of Herrera was part of FFP. They still need to make numbers work.

I would be much more inclined to believe they are copying Chelsea with the intention to balance the books.
Pep doesn't need to care who CFG buys for NYCFC. Find me a quote of Pep talking about Yangel. It may exist. I haven't seen it.

In case it's unclear, the point is a manager who buys a player might speak about him, particularly at the time of purchase.

CFG didn't even bother with planting Pep with a scripted quote. The kid may play for them someday. That day is a long way away.

Roberts is shit compared to what MCFC has or will buy. A total chump. He should stay at Celtic.

Last edited:
Finally catching up on the Venezuela matches at the U-20 World Cup.

Watching Herrera in his age group makes it clear why CFG wanted him. I view him in the same light now as a Patrick Roberts. He probably needs 3-4 years to break through but he controls the entire game from Central Midfield.

Speaking of these matches, do we have a Scout here? Do we rely on CFG to do all of our scouting?

Our front office listing for Director of Scouting, CONCACAF. Not sure if he's independent to NYCFC or part of the larger CFG scouting network that handles CONCACAF.

Pep doesn't need to care who CFG buys for NYCFC. Find me a quote of Pep talking about Yangel. It may exist. I haven't seen it.

In case it's unclear, the point is a manager who buys a player might speak about him, particularly at the time of purchase.

CFG didn't even bother with planting Pep with a scripted quote. The kid may play for them someday. That day is a long way away.

Roberts is shit compared to what MCFC has or will buy. A total chump. He should stay at Celtic.

I would like to believe you but Financial Fair Play is real

You catch my drift, now?

I totally get what you're saying, and I agree. But the ascent of the Venezuela U20 is doubly painful for me. One, because it will take Yangel away from NYCFC for a longer stretch than what we initially hoped for. The second reason is because I'm Peruvian, and Venezuela (along with Bolivia) where the 2 squads that always saved us from being bottom of the table during CONMEBOL qualifiers, and seeing Venezuela making strides like this just breaks my heart. We haven't been to a WC since 1982.

Don't think that 1 or 2 mil is going to be what causes a problem, especially since it'll be reduced by what NYC pays him.

That's fair. Just not convinced he's ours for real. Let's see what transpires over the next two years

I totally get what you're saying, and I agree. But the ascent of the Venezuela U20 is doubly painful for me. One, because it will take Yangel away from NYCFC for a longer stretch than what we initially hoped for. The second reason is because I'm Peruvian, and Venezuela (along with Bolivia) where the 2 squads that always saved us from being bottom of the table during CONMEBOL qualifiers, and seeing Venezuela making strides like this just breaks my heart. We haven't been to a WC since 1982.

Whether Venezuela advances to the finals or loses the next game won't affect Herrera's availability because of the two weeks off we have after Saturday. The only way to have gotten him back early was if they failed to get out of the group, which is unlikely for a tournament where 16 of 24 teams advance. Long story short, he was always going to be missing until Seattle.

Whether Venezuela advances to the finals or loses the next game won't affect Herrera's availability because of the two weeks off we have after Saturday. The only way to have gotten him back early was if they failed to get out of the group, which is unlikely for a tournament where 16 of 24 teams advance. Long story short, he was always going to be missing until Seattle.

Completely sucks that he's gone only 3 weeks but we miss him for 6 games representing 17% of the schedule. I suppose it helps that 4 of the 6 were away where we would have been expected to underperform anyway. It's going to kill us Wednesday, however, to miss him, Ring, and yes, Pirlo all in one game.

Last edited:
Completely sucks that he's gone only 3 weeks but we miss him for 6 games representing 17% of the schedule. I suppose it helps that 4 of the 6 were away where we would have been expected to underperform anyway. It's going to kill us Wednesday, however, to miss hm, Ring, and yes, Pirlo all in one game.
This is why I think Harrison makes the most sense to slot into the midfield. He spent all of HS/college in the midfield and he's one of our best dribblers/passers. We really need to get the injured players back to have some flexibility with the lineup/bench.

Harrison is most definitely a Central player. But he's closer to a 9 than an 8 if that makes sense.

Harrison is most definitely a Central player. But he's closer to a 9 than an 8 if that makes sense.
I wouldn't count him out of any of the positions if put there. I feel like I saw video of him from HS/college playing DMid and controlling the game from there. Different quality of players, but should have a tactical understanding of the role.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I wouldn't count him out of any of the positions if put there. I feel like I saw video of him from HS/college playing DMid and controlling the game from there. Different quality of players, but should have a tactical understanding of the role.
Agreed. He could play as CDM or 10. 8 would be a waste of his ball carrying ability. Or rather if you played him as an 8 in there he would end up controlling the game anyway. Not sure if I can think of any crack 8s off the top of my head.

ahhh. Lobbying for the hyper version of Gerrard. Wide to central attack to back.

The Ox agrees with you.

Could work.

Jokes aside, in actuality, I do think his future should be more central.