NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Isn't one of the benefits of the Generation Adidas program that the league will pay for a kid's education when he retires? I think the deal is, if you sign with us and forego a scholarship, we will pay for your college when you are done.

Yes. But two thoughts there - 1) Guys who become GA players are considered the TOP of their class. 3-7 guys per class. 2) I'm talking up the value of the college experience, not playing college soccer. The American college experience is unique.

Reactions: Fake Jew
Sitting at the MasterCard Dinner tonight, FredMertz asked Claudio Reyna about youth staying or going to Europe or plying their trade here. He touched on there's more money now here to compete with Europe and vitally important to get playing time, and the followup question was if having a dad as GM would make a difference? Obviously he laughed, but Claudio said point blank that Gio has four (USA) teammates that have signed pro contracts and he's been asking him (CR) hey dad, what's up with that and what about me (or some paraphrase of it). JGarrettLieb and I both felt his answer pointed towards Gio will sign if the price is right.

Sitting at the MasterCard Dinner tonight, FredMertz asked Claudio Reyna about youth staying or going to Europe or plying their trade here. He touched on there's more money now here to compete with Europe and vitally important to get playing time, and the followup question was if having a dad as GM would make a difference? Obviously he laughed, but Claudio said point blank that Gio has four (USA) teammates that have signed pro contracts and he's been asking him (CR) hey dad, what's up with that and what about me (or some paraphrase of it). JGarrettLieb and I both felt his answer pointed towards Gio will sign if the price is right.

Great points to hear. SKC just listed a 15 year old kid because they know he's going to Europe and they want that sweet GAM from the transfer fee. Can a 15 year old Gio play in MLS? Will he wait until he can play? Or do we sign and sell?

We'll find out on the next episode on The Price is Right for Academy Players.

Great job FredMertz on pressing him.

Reactions: Kjbert and Sabo
Great points to hear. SKC just listed a 15 year old kid because they know he's going to Europe and they want that sweet GAM from the transfer fee. Can a 15 year old Gio play in MLS? Will he wait until he can play? Or do we sign and sell?

We'll find out on the next episode on The Price is Right for Academy Players.
Sure. Because SKC handled EPB so well. That kid may have screwed himself.

Go deeper. Ask yourself why. And ask again. And again.
I'd be stoked if CFG signed Sargent with the agreed intent to loan him to NYCFC to shadow/apprentice under Villa with ultimately a move to MCFC. Get Gio on a similar deal and we're really talking.

Reactions: Fake Jew
Tyler Shaver, U17 defender, called to a training camp ahead of the U17 World Cup. Sands not called, meaning he will feature in the 18 on Wednesday and possibly Saturday. Likely to see more faces to potentially add to the roster for the U17 WC in India.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...calls-25-to-bradenton-as-world-cup-approaches

From TopDrawSoccer (now that I'm a paying subscriber). Shaver is a 4-star player, the 7th ranked defender in the US of Class of 2018 (Sands is in the Class of 2019), and 27th overall in the US, with a commitment to Stanford. He's listed as part of the GSC CT Academy (which is an affiliate of NYCFC).

Last edited:
Tyler Shaver, U17 defender, called to a training camp ahead of the U17 World Cup. Sands not called, meaning he will feature in the 18 on Wednesday and possibly Saturday. Likely to see more faces to potentially add to the roster for the U17 WC in India.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...calls-25-to-bradenton-as-world-cup-approaches

From TopDrawSoccer (now that I'm a paying subscriber). Shaver is a 4-star player, the 7th ranked defender in the US of Class of 2018 (Sands is in the Class of 2019), and 27th overall in the US, with a commitment to Stanford. He's listed as part of the GSC CT Academy (which is an affiliate of NYCFC).

So, without directly ripping a ton of paid content, can you give us a little more details on where our players are actually ranking? Are there any names that are ranked highly that have been underdiscussed around here? Or any other class of 2018 or 2019 players that have the potential to sign with us soon and should be put on our radar?

Reactions: Kjbert
So, without directly ripping a ton of paid content, can you give us a little more details on where our players are actually ranking? Are there any names that are ranked highly that have been underdiscussed around here? Or any other class of 2018 or 2019 players that have the potential to sign with us soon and should be put on our radar?

I respect the paid content, so here is what I'll say and there's a whole lot of content on that site. So if you want to spend $50 for the year subscription, I think it's highly worth it. I paid $85 for three years. That's amazing.

So first, some players are listed as NYCFC and others still as members of our affiliate academies so with the latter it's difficult to tell if they are pursing signing homegrown contracts with us. That being said for listed NYCFC players (and mind you Tyler Shaver was not listed as NYCFC on this site but on the US Soccer page he was)...

Shaver (D) is our best Class of 2018 Player. We have a goalkeeper in the Top 75 that is committed to Navy.

Sands (D) is the best ranked player in the nation of the Class of 2019. He is the only 5 star player in the class along with Jesus Ferreira of FC Dallas.

Also in the Class of 2019 top 25 is Nico Benalcazar (D) at 22. We have two other guys in the top 50.

We only have one player in the top 75 of the Class of 2020.

And our Class of 2021 is stacked with 3 players in the Top 25 with Gio Reyna (M) as the only 5 star prospect and 1 overall.

Essentially, all the guys that are ranked high enough are being looked at for US Youth teams. Which is good.

I respect the paid content, so here is what I'll say and there's a whole lot of content on that site. So if you want to spend $50 for the year subscription, I think it's highly worth it. I paid $85 for three years. That's amazing.

So first, some players are listed as NYCFC and others still as members of our affiliate academies so with the latter it's difficult to tell if they are pursing signing homegrown contracts with us. That being said for listed NYCFC players (and mind you Tyler Shaver was not listed as NYCFC on this site but on the US Soccer page he was)...

Shaver (D) is our best Class of 2018 Player. We have a goalkeeper in the Top 75 that is committed to Navy.

Sands (D) is the best ranked player in the nation of the Class of 2019. He is the only 5 star player in the class along with Jesus Ferreira of FC Dallas.

Also in the Class of 2019 top 25 is Nico Benalcazar (D) at 22. We have two other guys in the top 50.

And our Class of 2021 is stacked with 3 players in the Top 25 with Gio Reyna (M) as the only 5 star prospect and 1 overall.

Essentially, all the guys that are ranked high enough are being looked at for US Youth teams. Which is good.

so if someone is in our affiliate and goes to college.....do we lose homegrown rights to him?

if someone in our academy goes to college .....do we also lose homegrown rights as well?

Interesting that Sands is #1 in his class and Reyna is #1 two years later. Where is Sands' brother located on the list? Is there a massive drop off between the twins?

Reactions: Kjbert
so if someone is in our affiliate and goes to college.....do we lose homegrown rights to him?

if someone in our academy goes to college .....do we also lose homegrown rights as well?
I don't think so on either account. Case in point: Ian Harkes went to Wake Forest for a year and then got signed to D.C. as a HG player.

I don't think so on either account. Case in point: Ian Harkes went to Wake Forest for a year and then got signed to D.C. as a HG player.

this is why i wanted to know....if these prospects go from affiliate/ academy to college is it worth following them to see if we get first dibs to them