NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Signing him to a non-pro contract is a waste of money (assuming that’s what this was). Why pay to train a kid who clearly wants to play abroad, knowing there will be no money incoming when he leaves?
By your logic, why has Gio been allowed to train with NYCFC?

I don’t think that’s what it is with Vint because his choice hinges on his playing for the USL side. I’m not versed on the nuances of who’s eligible to play for a USL side under those circumstances, ie a signed paid player or an amateur, but being a pro league, I’d be surprised if a non-paid amateur would be allowed to take the field.

It’s a different situation for the PDL/NPSL fourth-division Leagues that aren’t considered professional leagues and typically don’t pay their players save for a few that give mini stipends around $1k/month at most - it’s where college players play during the summer to maintain their NCAA eligibility. But that’s not what he and ATL have stated is the intent.

I don’t think that’s what it is with Vint because his choice hinges on his playing for the USL side. I’m not versed on the nuances of who’s eligible to play for a USL side under those circumstances, ie a signed paid player or an amateur, but being a pro league, I’d be surprised if a non-paid amateur would be allowed to take the field.

It’s a different situation for the PDL/NPSL fourth-division Leagues that aren’t considered professional leagues and typically don’t pay their players save for a few that give mini stipends around $1k/month at most - it’s where college players play during the summer to maintain their NCAA eligibility. But that’s not what he and ATL have stated is the intent.
There’s also that hotshot 16 year old from NY that just joined Liverpool and has immediately become a u18 starter that we seemingly didn’t make a play for. But given that he has an Italian passport, probably wouldn’t have mattered.

Because his father is the GM, which gave them hope they could sign him.

Unless you’re concerned about U18 hardware, what’s the benefit of training him for Man U for a season or two?

Reactions: Kjbert

Unless you’re concerned about U18 hardware, what’s the benefit of training him for Man U for a season or two?
Sorry, but I missed the part in the article where it says he has the ability to play for ManU or any euro team in two year. He’s an American without a foreign passport which is why he came back. He’s not getting trained for two years and then bolting - he doesn’t have the ability to bolt.

There is always going to be a crop of academy players are going to be too good for us. You still want them in our team to attract future academy players and so that our current crop of academy players are training every session against the best possible. As we are competing geographically with the Red Bulls academy, don't you think they are telling prospects that a player they helped developed has made multiple starts next to Neymar at PSG?

They can also be viewed as an asset for the club. NYC will control their MLS rights if we offered them a contract. Galaxy got 500k in allocation dollars when Paul Arriola came to MLS even though he never signed a contract from them. Maybe one day, US Soccer and MLS will fix training compensation and we will get something from them.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I missed the part in the article where it says he has the ability to play for ManU or any euro team in two year. He’s an American without a foreign passport which is why he came back. He’s not getting trained for two years and then bolting - he doesn’t have the ability to bolt.

I ask this with no sarcasm as I am not certain of the answer — what would stop him from signing a contract in Europe or abroad when he turns 18? Aren’t there many Americans abroad that have neither an additional citizenship or a meet some threshold of national team appearances?

I ask this with no sarcasm as I am not certain of the answer — what would stop him from signing a contract in Europe or abroad when he turns 18? Aren’t there many Americans abroad that have neither an additional citizenship or a meet some threshold of national team appearances?
He’d potentially have a route to Germany and others, but you said ManU where he’d need a work permit that he wouldn’t qualify for.

He’d potentially have a route to Germany and others, but you said ManU where he’d need a work permit that he wouldn’t qualify for.

Are you sure I said that, because I don't think I said that.

Are you sure I said that, because I don't think I said that.
If your weren’t meaning ManU, then you have a funny way of writing code:

If your weren’t meaning ManU, then you have a funny way of writing code:
The original post to which you responded said "abroad" -- the ManU usage was a specific example rhetorically.

Also, you are deflecting attention from your response that said he could not play for "any euro team" when he turns 18, which you clearly contradicted in your subsequent post by saying he would have a route to Germany and others.

Your Jedi mind tricks might work with lesser folks, but not here.

The original post to which you responded said "abroad" -- the ManU usage was a specific example rhetorically.
haha, now *you’re* twisting words. I responded to your first post (the abroad) with a reason why to let him join and train him. You then brought up ManU, not me, which was quite specific, so I answered you.

Frankly, every kid that wants to play pro soccer has aspirations of playing in Europe, so why should any MLS academy take any of them on - and yet, they all have multiple teams of all the age groups playing on their dime and they don’t think twice about it. They hope to sign the best of all of them. Vint would be no different.

Also, you are deflecting attention from your response that said he could not play for "any euro team" when he turns 18, which you clearly contradicted in your subsequent post by saying he would have a route to Germany and others.
I’m not deflecting anything - I answered your question openly. Did I need to apologize for saying “any euro team” when I then rattled off Germany and possibly others in the followup? If anything, you’re now deflecting your ManU statement by saying it was only rhetorical and then two posts ago challenging that you didn’t even say it. The article was about ManU, you said ManU - you later made mention of other leagues as a followup. Fascinating how your point of view is allowed to evolve, but mine is deflecting?

Your Jedi mind tricks might work with lesser folks, but not here.
Inception is where it’s at.

giphy.gif

As we are talking about depth and the academy in the roster thread, these are the 4 and 5 star prospects rated by Top Draw Soccer for the next four college classes:

Johan Penaranda - 4* - GK - 2018 (Pitt)
Tyler Shaver - 4* - D - 2018 (Stanford)

James Sands - 5* - MF - 2019 (HGP)
Nico Benalcazar - 4* - D - 2019 (Wake Forest)
Justin Haak - 4* - MF - 2019

Tayvon Gray - 4*- D - 2020
Andres Jasson - 4* - MF - 2020

Giovanni Reyna - 5* - MF - 2021 (Dortmund)
Joseph Scally - 5* - D - 2021 (HGP)
Prince Amponsah - 4* - D - 2021

Reactions: adam and SoupInNYC
If you have a subscription to the Athletic, Will Parchman just ranked all 23 MLS Academies in an article. NYCFC came in at #11
Do you know if there's a particular reason why?

Based on the numbers I see of our academy players called into US youth national teams, I imagined we would be in the top-5 or so.

If that ranking is based on what each has produced, then we should be near the bottom since we just haven't had guys old enough get all the way through.

But also, I'm not too familiar with other academies other than ours, so I'm not too sure.

Based on the numbers I see of our academy players called into US youth national teams, I imagined we would be in the top-5 or so.

If that ranking is based on what each has produced, then we should be near the bottom since we just haven't had guys old enough get all the way through.

But also, I'm not too familiar with other academies other than ours, so I'm not too sure.
I don’t really want to direct quote the whole blurb, since it is behind a paywall, but he says he doesn’t exactly know what to make of the NYCFC academy. Says they are clearly well run since they have some great prospects, but haven’t been around long enough to see if they can develop and improve players long term. And play them

The best answer I think is to compare the NYCFC ranking to Atlanta at 8. Parchman basically says that both have done well developing talent to date, but he needs more of a record of graduating players out to give full credit. The difference seems to be Atlanta swallowed youth team Georgia United, leapfrogged NYC, and so has 5 HGs on its roster.

Other new clubs: Minnesota is ranked 23, LAFC 22 and Orlando 17. MNU and LAFC get dinged for starting from the ground up like we did (and Minnesota was late to start even then). LAFC gets a special demerit for refusing the Chivas USA castoffs. He says Orlando seems to have a decent academy but they're not getting results.

As we are talking about depth and the academy in the roster thread, these are the 4 and 5 star prospects rated by Top Draw Soccer for the next four college classes:

Johan Penaranda - 4* - GK - 2018 (Pitt)
Tyler Shaver - 4* - D - 2018 (Stanford)

James Sands - 5* - MF - 2019 (HGP)
Nico Benalcazar - 4* - D - 2019 (Wake Forest)
Justin Haak - 4* - MF - 2019

Tayvon Gray - 4*- D - 2020
Andres Jasson - 4* - MF - 2020

Giovanni Reyna - 5* - MF - 2021 (Dortmund)
Joseph Scally - 5* - D - 2021 (HGP)
Prince Amponsah - 4* - D - 2021

Haak only gets 4 stars?

Haak only gets 4 stars?
My guess is that the rankings are VERY subjective in Soccer and the HG/Dortmund guys get a 5* because they’ve signed. Kinda like college football when the big schools start offering, players get an automatic bump to at least a 4*. If Haak signs a HG, he’ll go to 5*.

Reactions: adam