NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

I ran thru some articles this morning talking about how much older "young" is in MLS and how few teams give their 17-19 year old players a chance in America, compared to many European leagues.

It got me thinking that given our foreign ownership, we will probably be one of the more aggressive teams in MLS when it comes to playing youth.

We may see these guys earlier than expected, maybe 2018 even for our first homegrown contracts, even if sent down to whatever USL affiliate we have at the time.

Last edited:
I ran thru some articles this morning talking about how much older "young" is in MLS and how few teams give their 17-19 year old players a chance in America, compared to many European leagues.

It got me thinking that given our foreign ownership, we will probably be one of the more aggressive teams in MLS when it comes to playing youth.

We may see these guys earlier than expected, maybe 2018 even for our first homegrown contracts, even if sent down to whatever USL affiliate we have at the time.

vancouver just debut a 15 yr old.....so it can definitely be done. if we are aggressive we may get into the whole college vs being pro debate.

Maybe it's just that teams suck at developing talent. The ones that do a good job at it (LA Galaxy, FC Dallas and NJRB) have a system for bringing guys through. LAG has too many old stars in front of the young talent. FC Dallas brings guys through when they are ready. NJRB is just cheap.

It got me thinking that given our foreign ownership, we will probably be one of the more aggressive teams in MLS when it comes to playing youth.......We may see these guys earlier than expected, maybe 2018 even for our first homegrown contracts.

Our youth player path might be a little different though (although it might just be like that for the early years). Gino is our best player, but his father,Reyna,is the one in charge of making player decisions. Reyna will want to listen to Gio more than any other GM would, and wouldn't put any pressure on him to sign a contract (which is a good thing), or even push him in the direction of college if he feels that that is the best path for him. Like the old saying goes though, only time will tell.

Sands is 16. I really think we will start making homegrown signings in 2018, when he and his peers at the older end of the range are turning 18. We have European upper management, they aren't going to mess around with MLS's tradition of 23 being "still young." First team by age 20.
Maybe 18-19.

Which is why we need an NYCFC2.

Short of a "City Man" taking the helm at an affiliate USL team, these kids need a place to graduate to. Our Club doesn't want these kids to go to college and regress.

Sign them at 18-19 if they are promising. They need a place to play and learn how to be professionals.

Maybe this is a dumb question - but can they graduate to EDS?

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Maybe this is a dumb question - but can they graduate to EDS?

They could certainly be signed to EDS but don't they have to play for NYCFC at PDL or USL level to count as homegrown? I thought the whole point is that the club has to retain them in order to claim them? I doubt MLS would consider staying "in the family" to be enough to satisfy that condition.

They could certainly be signed to EDS but don't they have to play for NYCFC at PDL or USL level to count as homegrown? I thought the whole point is that the club has to retain them in order to claim them? I doubt MLS would consider staying "in the family" to be enough to satisfy that condition.

I agree. Don't have a rule to quote, but the general purpose of the homegrown rule is to keep players in the USA (more specially the MLS). Sending them to EDS would defeat that purpose. Though maybe if their EDS contract stated they could only move up to NYCFC, that could be a work around. They'd be in essence training in Manchester, but NYCFC property to only be called up to NY if needed or they show promise. Or sign them to NYCFC (it won't count vs the cap anyway), then they 'get hurt' and let them train and play with EDS to 'recover'.

Reactions: Kjbert