NYCFC In The Media Thread - 2016

I think you misread it. RB dropped 2 spots this week off the tie in LA.

4. New York Red Bulls (-2)

Frankly it's understandable if you misread it because your brain couldn't process the concept that RB was ranked #2 in the entire league last week. The ESPN rankings were over-the-top absurd last week. Besides RB ranked second in the entire league, NYC was ranked behind both them and Montreal coming off that drubbing it gave to the Rapids. TFC was behind all 3 even though it's been the hot team for a few weeks now and clearly one of the top 2 contenders to win the East with NYC being the other. Where they mix us all in against the West doesn't bother me to much. Despite NYC's success the overall quality difference based on head-to-head play is so pronounced I can't get exercised if they stack the top with the West.
My issue is that not all ties are equal. RB's tie, coming from not just a position of strength, but if one touting a 2 goal lead with only 15 minutes left only to give up two beautiful goals and have all the momentum against them. That should be considered a monumental loss and missed opportunity on their part. Throw in losing their head coach for next week and two more players to possibly long-term injuries, and if the topic is Power Ratings, it should be clear they suffered a major uppercut to the jaw and are stumbling around the ring needing a standing 8-count.

Our tie was meh and the status quo should be maintained within the league as nothing was either learned nor dismissed as an outlier.

My issue is that not all ties are equal. RB's tie, coming from not just a position of strength, but if one touting a 2 goal lead with only 15 minutes left only to give up two beautiful goals and have all the momentum against them. That should be considered a monumental loss and missed opportunity on their part. Throw in losing their head coach for next week and two more players to possibly long-term injuries, and if the topic is Power Ratings, it should be clear they suffered a major uppercut to the jaw and are stumbling around the ring needing a standing 8-count.

Our tie was meh and the status quo should be maintained within the league as nothing was either learned nor dismissed as an outlier.
Where did I disagree with that?

Where did I disagree with that?
I was further extrapolating my response.... I'm angry that semi-intelligent people have a national platform & get paid to write pieces that are supposed to be grounded in logic and stats and are grossly devoid of both.

I was further extrapolating my response.... I'm angry that semi-intelligent people have a national platform & get paid to write pieces that are supposed to be grounded in logic and stats and are grossly devoid of both.
Not to discount your thoughts, but the counter to that is their draw was at LA, who is third in the West and haven't lost at home in forever. While our draw was at SJ, who is 8th in the West (and I know they've only lost once at home this year, but when narratives are spun, people tend to leave facts like that out).

Reactions: Ulrich
Not to discount your thoughts, but the counter to that is their draw was at LA, who is third in the West and haven't lost at home in forever. While our draw was at SJ, who is 8th in the West (and I know they've only lost once at home this year, but when narratives are spun, people tend to leave facts like that out).

This is correct, but NJ were ranked way too high going into the game.

Reactions: Kjbert and JCMore
Geez that's a fck-you to Pirlo by the arm-chair idiot..... Mullins' got an assist because two defenders botched their coverage, not because it was a stupendous pass - it was a hail mary into traffic. Pirlo's was 10m outside of the box, over 15 guys, and places it onto Villa's foot where no defender could make a play. There's just no comparison.

Geez that's a fck-you to Pirlo by the arm-chair idiot..... Mullins' got an assist because two defenders botched their coverage, not because it was a stupendous pass - it was a hail mary into traffic. Pirlo's was 10m outside of the box, over 15 guys, and places it onto Villa's foot where no defender could make a play. There's just no comparison.

Without taking away from Pirlo's great pass, Villa's beautiful control, and the clean left footed finish, we were helped by some bad-even-for-MLS defending as well. Villa was played onside by one sleeping defender otherwise uninvolved in the play. Much like their third goal, come to think of it.

Last night I listed to Extra Time Radio for the first time. Well, it was just the first segment where they run through every game and use it as a launching point to discuss each team's current status, playoff chances and positioning, etc. The NYC-LAG game was at or near the end of the segment.

What was interesting was how little time they spent discussing NYC and why that was not a slight. It was clear that, to them, NYC is just very solid, reliable and good and there's isn't much to talk about. You could complain they didn't seem to consider NYC SS contenders but so what. They really only put Dallas, Colorado and Toronto in that mix. To them TFC have more games in hand to catch up with the leaders, they've won 5 of 6, and have lots of home games left. You can argue with that but it's a reasonable take and there's no reason to look for ways to feel insulted.

When our game came up there was lots of discussion of the Galaxy: playing passive, no energy, lots of talent, disappointing results, if they get it together can be dangerous but who knows if that will happen, .....
About NYC they had almost nothing to say. The host asked if NYC are MLS cup contenders; someone said there's no way you can consider NYC NOT to be cup contenders. Everyone agreed and that was pretty much that. Basically NYC is in solid playoff position, not on a hot streak, not struggling, will probably finish 1st or 2nd, and what's left to say until the playoffs start? It's actually a strong endorsement not to discuss them much right now. The brief discussion suggested the team might benefit from being more flexible about playing from the back when it gets too dangerous.
They got a couple of things wrong the way national analysts always do: They seemed to think the Saunders criticism was that we blame him for choosing to play from the back. I don't think anyone thinks that: he's just doing what the coaching staff tells him to do. Our problem is he does that and many other things poorly. They also still seemed to be in the mindset that we're bad at home and awesome on the road even though those trendlines crossed.

But really, for me, the takeaway is they think the team is so boringly good and solid there isn't much to say.

Reactions: Kjbert