NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

It couldn't be that hard to bring in a player like Kaputska from the Polish league could it?

I doubt Ajax lets Milik go that easily but he's worth a look.

We should target these internationals. Guys who are good enough to play for their country but aren't in England, Spain, Germany, Italy or France.

Some thoughts:

Mena has to be headed out the door, his contract and international spot are too much for a reserve CB. With him gone, NYCFC could try to sign a legitimate long term CB option. Mullins is probably gone as soon as NYCFC can find a replacement for him. Mix can't be staying too long with his large contract eating up cap space.

Is it a good idea to have some pretty old midfielders as your starting 3 without a great backup? Probably not, but to be spending $750k on a backup in MLS is an untenable position. They can definitely ship him out and get a serviceable replacement, eventually using up a freed DP spot to sign a younger midfield replacement.

I like Mix personally, he's been a tremendous player off the pitch but he's not worth his wages in MLS and given his age, he could be worth more to other teams out there.

Ethan White has been not good. I don't want to say awful, but he hasn't been good.

What about Cubo Torres?

Ethan White has been not good. I don't want to say awful, but he hasn't been good.

What about Cubo Torres?

Ethan White's salary is so low, it doesn't count vs the cap. He's essentially free cap wise.

If we're clearing cap space and int'l slots then:

Mena $231,400 & int'l
Hernandez $210,000 - but we'd need a replacement.
Martinez $135,000 & int'l
Mullins $126,250
Khiry $94,500
Tony T $91,875

Those, plus Mix are our cap problem players.

Though you could make an argument for Mendoza $207,276 & Brilliant $299,667 (both int'l) as well. I think Brilliant could player better with a better CB partner and Mendoza, with his motor , makes a great super sub at the end of the match to try and score or harass opponents for the ball.

Poku was actually good value for production based on his cap number.

Ethan White's salary is so low, it doesn't count vs the cap. He's essentially free cap wise.

Mena $231,400 & int'l
Mullins $126,250
Khiry $94,500
Tony T $91,875

Though you could make an argument for Mendoza $207,276 & Brilliant $299,667 (both int'l) as well. I think Brilliant could player better with a better CB partner and Mendoza, with his motor , makes a great super sub at the end of the match to try and score or harass opponents for the ball.

No way Hernandez is let go. Vieira loves him. Mena I'm sure is headed out, didn't think about Martinez but it wouldn't be hard to imagine seeing as how much Vieira likes Matarrita. I think Shelton and Taylor are relatively safe as we still have two empty roster spots right now and they're on low ages and not internationals.

Reactions: adam

Mena $231,400 & int'l
Mullins $126,250
Khiry $94,500
Tony T $91,875

The $100K players are a staple of every team, but if a player hits the $200K threshold, they have to be playing regularly. At their prices, TT & Shelton are fairly ok cap-wise for their production because while their results may not Wow the audience, they play with some level of positive determination. However Mullins has shown a total lack of effort the multiple times he's taken the field this year, and at $126K that's a lot of money for a guy that won't bust his butt and can't be counted on to add a spark.

Can only have one of the Mena/Hernandez duo, and the Int spot should not affect the decision - it's whom actually plays better that should count. Mendoza as $200K is a luxury we cannot afford if he isn't an every game starter - he's not even an every game sub; I think we had hoped his Indian League stats would translate over to MLS and we took a flyer on his salary as a result.... keeping him the rest of the season is fine unless we find a solid winger to take his place, but he's gone next year at the latest. Reyna & co. just need to be a bit more diligent in the future when trying to compare banana republic league stars with what works in MLS.

Martinez is a true steal - relatively cheap and very serviceable. He's the perfect type of international role player to pick up.

Really? His style of play literally would dominate MLS.

165 goals in 314 games since 2008 in Portugal and Russia? Yes please!

As a forward, not a wing. Most MLS teams are not skilled enough to utilize the wings correctly. I'd think he'd be a really good edge of the box striker for any team, not just MLS.

I wouldn't necessarily say better impact than Gio though.

Reactions: Kjbert
Remember too that we have an expansion draft coming up at the end of the year. If past form holds, we can only protect 11 players, after which we can lose up to two.

So, when it comes to guys like Poku, who was going to be selected in a draft like that for sure, better to get transfer value for him ahead of time.

I am not sure how many more guys like him are on the roster - young, cheap, can attract a decent transfer fee. But, that's the kind of person we should be thinking about selling with more urgency that we might otherwise.

Question for the masses (would post as a poll if I could).

Assuming that we end up with some $$$ to spend this summer, where would you spend it?

Offense or Defense?

====

For me, I think we really need to shore up the back line. We need a top quality CB - someone with size, pace and technical ability. To me it is really the missing piece between being solid and elite.

Remember too that we have an expansion draft coming up at the end of the year. If past form holds, we can only protect 11 players, after which we can lose up to two.

So, when it comes to guys like Poku, who was going to be selected in a draft like that for sure, better to get transfer value for him ahead of time.

I am not sure how many more guys like him are on the roster - young, cheap, can attract a decent transfer fee. But, that's the kind of person we should be thinking about selling with more urgency that we might otherwise.

How about this for a question. If you had to protect 11 players on our current roster (exclude Mix and Poku & assume Lamps leaves) who would those 11 be?

Pirlo, Villa, Jack, Mikey, RJ, Tmac, Mata (if he's still with us), Iraola, Bravo, Brilliant, Martinez. That's 11 and I'd leave Brilliant and Martinez exposed if I had to. The expansion draft won't hurt us, unless we decide to protect a player like Khiry just because we drafted him at the expense of another. Or Saunders... We protect Saunders and this forum crashes, I guarantee.

Reactions: Kjbert and NYCFCfan
How about this for a question. If you had to protect 11 players on our current roster (exclude Mix and Poku & assume Lamps leaves) who would those 11 be?

Pirlo, Villa, Jack, Mikey, RJ, Tmac, Mata (if he's still with us), Iraola, Bravo, Brilliant, Martinez. That's 11 and I'd leave Brilliant and Martinez exposed if I had to. The expansion draft won't hurt us, unless we decide to protect a player like Khiry just because we drafted him at the expense of another. Or Saunders... We protect Saunders and this forum crashes, I guarantee.
I didn't think we had to protect Jack because he was GA?

Reactions: Kjbert

Would Villa have to be protected? I mean, can a DP really be drafted by another team?

Would Villa have to be protected? I mean, can a DP really be drafted by another team?
I am 98% certain that in our draft existing teams were required to include DPs in their protected set. Nailing down the last 2% would require more work than I am prepared to do right now.

Reactions: adam

Mikey Lopez makes your protected list?

Reactions: Paul and sbrylski
Mikey Lopez makes your protected list?

Yes. Doesn't count vs the cap and has a defined role on this team. Hopefully, over the next few years we'd have a more talented player in his role, but he helps our cap and roster construction for the time being. I look forward to the day we have a homegrown come in and fill his role. (If we just don't sell all our HGs from GAM)

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis