NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Looks like Zaba's on his way out: http://www.espnfc.com/manchester-ci...ester-city-at-end-of-his-contract-this-summer. I know his name's come up on this thread before. It's surprising the media hasn't tried linking him with NYCFC, although West Ham and Inter Milan were linked. Perhaps the general perception is that he still has too much to offer to go to stud yet.

Norris has been much improved lately, but have to feel like Zaba would be a massive upgrade. Would also be an option in the center of midfield. He's 32, but has still looked very up to it the few times I've seen him appear for City. I know people are skeptical about having fullbacks as DPs, but his offensive production is incredible. Harrison with Zaba on the overlap would be an offensive machine, and I'm sure Harrison would learn a lot from a vet wide partner of that level of quality.

CFG, make it happen?

I'm not the most knowledgeable about MLS but paying DP money to fullbacks seems crazy to me.

Why? If that's our weak position for the next couple of seasons, why not firm it up with the best possible option. Think about it.

Up top: Do we need to upgrade Wallace, Villa, or Jack?

Mids: Do we need to upgrade Ring, Maxi or Yangel?

Centerbacks: do we need to upgrade Chanot or Callens?

Fullbacks: do we need to upgrade Norris and Sweat? In my opinion, yes.

Also, upgrading a position that doesn't have a need, sends a valuable player to the bench. In a capped league, we can't be wasting those resources on the pine. Each team is in their own unique situation. The way our roster worked out, FB is the ONLY position a DP make sense at.

Last edited:
http://1.ftb.al/zNTc/MOgUZDqh7C

Remember Khedira? Looks like he is out injured for perhaps the rest of the season (and potential champions league final). Buyers beware, folks.

He's always an injury waiting to happen. As much as I love his game, not a DP here. A team like Juve can deal with that with all their talent. We couldn't.

He's always an injury waiting to happen. As much as I love his game, not a DP here. A team like Juve can deal with that with all their talent. We couldn't.
We could deal with an occasional knock given we keep the mids we have now sans Pirlo. I would take near world class version of Ring for half a year, especially if it included the playoffs.

Why? If that's our weak position for the next couple of seasons, why not firm it up with the best possible option. Think about it.

Up top: Do we need to upgrade Wallace, Villa, or Jack?

Mids: Do we need to upgrade Ring, Maxi or Yangel?

Centerbacks: do we need to upgrade Chanot or Callens?

Fullbacks: do we need to upgrade Norris and Sweat? In my opinion, yes.

Also, upgrading a position that doesn't have a need, sends a valuable player to the bench. In a capped league, we can't be wasting those resources on the pine. Each team is in their own unique situation. The way our roster worked out, FB is the ONLY position a DP make sense at.

I agree with the need you're proposing but the question of DP dollars is still legitimate. If guys like Cole and Iraola came on non-DP contracts why would Zaba or Fauchs get one?

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I agree with the need you're proposing but the question of DP dollars is still legitimate. If guys like Cole and Iraola came on non-DP contracts why would Zaba or Fauchs get one?

If we think Zaba or Fuchs are not DP caliber then who should we target as a DP RB? I mean, if we agree (I do personally) that we should target at our position of greatest need, DM doesn't seem like that with the absolutely spectacular coup that Ring and Yangel had been this season. Then who is a 3 to 6M per year RB? Antonio Valencia? Rose from Tottenham? I'm just throwing names around thinking if it would be crazy to throw money around Chinese league style and see who would bite for a pretty high wage for a RB? Miguel Layun? If we look at leagues that are a bit better than MLS, like Liga MX, and ask ourselves who is the best RB league wide? Would that person come for 4M a year?

Reactions: adam

Cole & Iraola were brought in with GAM/TAM. We've used our GAM/TAM resources to sure up all our other positions (both CBs, 2 mids, maybe our LW? - Jack is HG, Villa and Maxi DP). If we used a DP at LW, then the case is made to use GAM/TAM at RB as you suggest. We did it a little differently. Nothing wrong with either way, what's important is filling each position with as much talent as possible. Think of it like a puzzle; if we have a large hole and a large piece then make it fit to fill the gap. You're thinking of it as building blocks; put the biggest (the spine) at the bottom and the smaller blocks stacked on top. That's very limiting, since you have to get the right blocks on the bottom before you can stack anymore. Moreover, if you lose one of those big blocks...

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis
We could deal with an occasional knock given we keep the mids we have now sans Pirlo. I would take near world class version of Ring for half a year, especially if it included the playoffs.

True. If we are building a midfield of box to box physical mids, Khedira slides right in and if injured, we don't have to reinvent the wheel. Juventus has a few H/H type players that they can simple rotate in without issue if Khedira goes down. I hope that's the direction we're going as a team. I think it is. The more I see Herrera play, the more I think he fits that role too along with Ring. Imagine what Vidal could do in this league.

Last edited:
How long is Herrera going to stay here though? Hopefully we can keep him at least for next season. The worst would be losing both him and Pirlo at the end of the year.

I think that's exactly what's going to happen. If our answer is a big DP midfielder, that might not happen until the summer, so we could be f'd start of next season. If they know Pirlo won't be back next year, which he most likely won't, they have to act this summer.

I think that's exactly what's going to happen. If our answer is a big DP midfielder, that might not happen until the summer, so we could be f'd start of next season. If they know Pirlo won't be back next year, which he most likely won't, they have to act this summer.
I think Herrera is here again next year, but I still think we nearly have to sign another midfielder this summer.

Maybe they are thinking the South African guy and bringing in the DP mid next summer, but I'd prefer to get it done sooner.

Yes he has. But that has been with Sweat on the the other side. I wonder if his role changes when Matarrita returns.
No, that is not correct. I've been posting for a long time that White has been getting forward a minimum 3x a game - he picks and chooses as opposed to Mata that can't say no to bombing forward.

I'd say he and Sweat get forward about the same amount the last two games.

Reactions: gbservis
True. If we are building a midfield of box to box physical mids, Khedira slides right in and if injured, we don't have to reinvent the wheel. Juventus has a few H/H type players that they can simple rotate in without issue if Khedira goes down. I hope that's the direction we're going as a team. I think it is. The more I see Herrera play, the more I think he fits that role too along with Ring. Imagine what Vidal could do in this league.

Vidal is the ideal MLS mid, he would be amazing.