NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

adam adam tried for a while but it always seemed hopeless to me because too much info is withheld.
Yeah, for all we know, magic Garber bucks could be dispensed midyear and nobody would know it happened until MLS announce it (rare during season) or fan-sleuths figure it out when updated salaries are posted.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
adam adam tried for a while but it always seemed hopeless to me because too much info is withheld.

My posts from last year on that are somewhere here. I didn't try it this year. All I could manage was subtract the cap number from our overall salary (taking into account DP charges, GA, and HG). But we don't know what salaries might be amortized from what's listed. Nor do we know how much GAM/TAM was given when joining the league and each year after.

Nobody really knows unless they've been keeping a running tally since year one of how the team has used thei GAM/TAM.

One reason I suspect we don't use every roster spot is to spread that extra roster salary amongst one or more players (i.e. To get a more valuable player).

So I guess the question is, do we have any reason to believe the team is right up against the cap without any wiggle room, or do we think they still have space left? I feel like good cap management is to leave a little on the table in case its needed, and I'd hope CR was able to do that so we can sign someone during the summer window.

Nobody really knows unless they've been keeping a running tally since year one of how the team has used thei GAM/TAM.

One reason I suspect we don't use every roster spot is to spread that extra roster salary amongst one or more players (i.e. To get a more valuable player).
Don't the bottom earners not count? I don't think that necessarily disputes your point, but just wondering how that might play into it.

Reactions: Kjbert
Nor do we know how much GAM/TAM was given when joining the league and each year after.
This is why it's almost unfair to compare our entry into MLS to Atlanta. Seems like I read that they and Minnesota were given a very inflated amount of allocation money relative to what Orlando and NYC received.

Probably explains a lot about how many garbage players we had. But I'm sure it's not nearly as significant as Kreis just being poor at choosing players.

This is why it's almost unfair to compare our entry into MLS to Atlanta. Seems like I read that they and Minnesota were given a very inflated amount of allocation money relative to what Orlando and NYC received.

Probably explains a lot about how many garbage players we had. But I'm sure it's not nearly as significant as Kreis just being poor at choosing players.
That is correct. They had a short draft but more GAM/TAM.
The results seem to be another data point in support of your theory that more allocation money creates greater disparity of results. In 2015 NYC and Orlando were not too far apart but Atlanta and Minnesota tell a different story.

That is correct. They had a short draft but more GAM/TAM.
The results seem to be another data point in support of your theory that more allocation money creates greater disparity of results. In 2015 NYC and Orlando were not too far apart but Atlanta and Minnesota tell a different story.
It's a different story but idk if that is because of allocation. Minnesota was only announced a couple of months before the season and seemed unwilling to make major moves before getting a manager or force things in a short amount of time. I would imagine that the loons will be very active in the summer window. I think the league understands this mistake and announce teams well I advance.

The disparity comes in with Dps not allocation. I can't see Minnesota signing alot on a transfer fee or paying alot for a DO. Theoretically, allocation shouldn't be a difference since its basically free money.

It's a different story but idk if that is because of allocation. Minnesota was only announced a couple of months before the season and seemed unwilling to make major moves before getting a manager or force things in a short amount of time. I would imagine that the loons will be very active in the summer window. I think the league understands this mistake and announce teams well I advance.

The disparity comes in with Dps not allocation. I can't see Minnesota signing alot on a transfer fee or paying alot for a DO. Theoretically, allocation shouldn't be a difference since its basically free money.
With allocation the difference comes in how you use it. Minnesota spent a boatload on a defender from Norway who was the heart of their defense when they gave up 5+ goals every game to start the season and he hasn't played since April.

Don't the bottom earners not count? I don't think that necessarily disputes your point, but just wondering how that might play into it.
The last few spots don't count, but they have to be under a certain threshold to qualify. Hypothetically speaking, we may have only 27 players, but 6 of them are on the developmental squad and don't count, therefore we only have 21 "real" players and number 22 isn't on the roster; #22 would make more than the developmental guys and his salary is spread among one or more others.

With allocation the difference comes in how you use it. Minnesota spent a boatload on a defender from Norway who was the heart of their defense when they gave up 5+ goals every game to start the season and he hasn't played since April.
And that type of signing will forever now be known as the OhMix signing.

Its counterfactual but you can argue that if the loons had the same amount of time to set up their team and do their research, do they sign him? The loons other allocation moves for Molino and Ibarra have had positive outcomes.

And Atlanta has Jones in the dog house making 400k. Gap is 9 points and Atlanta has three dps that they have spent multimillion dollar transfer fees on and have spent more allocation dollars. Even three budget Dps and a tam signing or two significantly decreases that gap.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Its counterfactual but you can argue that if the loons had the same amount of time to set up their team and do their research, do they sign him? The loons other allocation moves for Molino and Ibarra have had positive outcomes.

And Atlanta has Jones in the dog house making 400k. Gap is 9 points and Atlanta has three dps that they have spent multimillion dollar transfer fees on and have spent more allocation dollars. Even three budget Dps and a tam signing or two significantly decreases that gap.
One team is esconced as a playoff contender in the more competitive conference and the other is fighting for last place in the league.

One team is esconced as a playoff contender in the more competitive conference and the other is fighting for last place in the league.
This is getting circular but if if they had 3 dps and spent the same in allocation as Atlanta the gap between them would not be as drastic.

This is getting circular but if if they had 3 dps and spent the same in allocation as Atlanta the gap between them would not be as drastic.
I'm not denying that, but the MNUFC leadership said they made a conscious decisions to wait & see before signing DPs. That decision is likely to prove disastrous for their season as any reinforcements will have less than half a season to contribute towards turning around their dumpster fire.

The one strategy no one is mentioning is maybe MNU just decided to call this year a bust, and the strategy is to use this window and the 2nd half of the season to bring in strategic targets and acclimate them. Anything you might pick up this year is just a bonus.

If you aren't going to spend big on transfer fees, then it probably makes sense to do it that way. They have to have the most available salary budget in the league right now to splash around. Always a good thing to be the richest club in the market.

The one strategy no one is mentioning is maybe MNU just decided to call this year a bust, and the strategy is to use this window and the 2nd half of the season to bring in strategic targets and acclimate them. Anything you might pick up this year is just a bonus.

If you aren't going to spend big on transfer fees, then it probably makes sense to do it that way. They have to have the most available salary budget in the league right now to splash around. Always a good thing to be the richest club in the market.
Not a strategy their FO would ever admit to.

But so what? That doesn't mean it's not true.
Wasn't saying it wasn't true. Their FO is on record that they took a wait/see approach. That could have honestly been their approach naively thinking they had the right pieces to be semi-competitive. It also could have just been cover for your hypothesis. If they don't invest heavily this window, it almost for certain means they've thrown in the towel for 2017. If they go all-in, then it could still be that they're trying to add the right pieces after a 19+ game test scenario, but whether they believe a turn-around can take place this year, or they're practicing tactics for next year won't ever really be answered.

And at the end of the day, hoarding money doesn't mean much unless you have a knowledgeable FO to scout players/spend it, a savvy coach to integrate the players into the right system (round peg/round hole) and finding players that want to buy into the team. Chicago hoarded assets for many years before turning the corner. D.C. hasnt shown they can spend their piggy bank on nice things. It's hard to say if MNUFC will ever implement it well, and I hope not, because playing them is great for the spectators.