NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Full disclosure, Roldan is no longer GA. But he's GA status would have helped us the last 2 years (or we could have saved GAM to use this year).

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2016/...amion-lowe-graduate-generation-adidas-program
The intent of the team should be to always have 2-3 HomeGrown/Generation Adidas players on the roster every year. Anything less than that is like leaving a dozen stacks of cash on the subway seat in the morning and hoping they're still there that night on your commute home.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Someone in MLS offered $14 Million for Dario Benedetto. 26 year old forward from Boca Juniors. Probably Atlanta United, right?

Reactions: adam
Of all the names being thrown around as possible options for our 3rd DP, who would be the best fit into Vieira's play out of the back, possession, attacking football in a 4-3-3 or 3-3-4?

Reactions: Kjbert
Anyone here that NYCFC might give Tommy Mac a contract extension? I saw it mentioned in the MLS app but then I couldn't find any news to follow that up.

The club announced that it exercised his contract option.
http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/11/28/nycfc-announce-roster-options-2017
Ths means they exercised the right to renew his contract for another year but that's all we know.

I think what you are seeing in the MLS app is the same announcement. These announcements typically lack details. The union releases all player salaries each September and apart from that we usually know very little about contract specifics. DPs are a common exception about whom we know more but even there nothing is verified. Even if the club and player make a joint announcement they sometimes lie.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
There's some debate among fans and reporters in Argentina as to what should happen with Federico Bravo.

His contract is up and they thought NYCFC would use the purchase option. But now I'm thinking, what if they just wait till his contract ends and sign him on a free in January?

There's some debate among fans and reporters in Argentina as to what should happen with Federico Bravo.

His contract is up and they thought NYCFC would use the purchase option. But now I'm thinking, what if they just wait till his contract ends and sign him on a free in January?
I imagine that would hurt the reputation of our team as fair dealers.

There might be language in the loan agreement to prevent that. We probably also want to have a good relationship with teams like Boca in the future.

There might be language in the loan agreement to prevent that. We probably also want to have a good relationship with teams like Boca in the future.
That was my thought. But if NYCFC want him, and can get him for free, what would Boca do? Sign him just in case?

What if they only want him on a free transfer and aren't willing to pay? Tricky hypothetical situation. But again, it's a hypothetical because it's a short week at work and half the office is out.

Reactions: Kjbert
I realize I'm speaking to a roomful of lawyers but wouldn't anyone worth their salt include that in the contract? League, teams, player, all would want their interests taken into account fairly, no?

I realize I'm speaking to a roomful of lawyers but wouldn't anyone worth their salt include that in the contract? League, teams, player, all would want their interests taken into account fairly, no?
We obviously don't know what was in the contract. But it's possible the option clause was based on the assumption that NYC might want to exercise it to avoid negotiating against Boca or any other team in the world. Had we exercised, we would own Bravo's contract no question. When we failed to exercise he became a free agent, and could go back to Boca, or to any other suitor. If we were willing to risk that in an effort to get him without the option fee, we should be allowed to do so. it gets murkier if we colluded with Bravo to make a side deal get out of the fee whereby we agreed on a contract before the exercise date, but did not execute it, and then do so only when we can do so for no fee. But even there the side deal would have to be something either party could renege upon in order to properly evade the option fee -- which means there is still risk -- which means it is (under this scenario) still OK. Less defensible would be an enforceable non-soccer contract that gets converted to a soccer contract later on, sort of a variant on the Lampard scenario. I have to figure that is not allowed.

None of the above takes into account whether there are specific FIFA rules, or a standard industry understanding based on pattern and practice, that forbid these sorts of tactics. And if the loan deal between NYC and Boca proscribes these then of course they are out of the question. For example, the loan deal could provide that NYC cannot sign Bravo for __ months after the loan ends unless they exercise the option and pay the fee.

We obviously don't know what was in the contract. But it's possible the option clause was based on the assumption that NYC might want to exercise it to avoid negotiating against Boca or any other team in the world. Had we exercised, we would own Bravo's contract no question. When we failed to exercise he became a free agent, and could go back to Boca, or to any other suitor. If we were willing to risk that in an effort to get him without the option fee, we should be allowed to do so. it gets murkier if we colluded with Bravo to make a side deal get out of the fee whereby we agreed on a contract before the exercise date, but did not execute it, and then do so only when we can do so for no fee. But even there the side deal would have to be something either party could renege upon in order to properly evade the option fee -- which means there is still risk -- which means it is (under this scenario) still OK. Less defensible would be an enforceable non-soccer contract that gets converted to a soccer contract later on, sort of a variant on the Lampard scenario. I have to figure that is not allowed.

None of the above takes into account whether there are specific FIFA rules, or a standard industry understanding based on pattern and practice, that forbid these sorts of tactics. And if the loan deal between NYC and Boca proscribes these then of course they are out of the question. For example, the loan deal could provide that NYC cannot sign Bravo for __ months after the loan ends unless they exercise the option and pay the fee.
OK, many interesting points. As a non-lawyer* I was thinking along the lines of the "playground/we have first dibs" rule but perhaps more sensibly it'd be more like an "I'm a free agent now so too late, suckas, so now it'll cost you" rule once his contract is up. And potentially there's also what's essentially a non-compete clause unless they pay some sort of option fee to cover it.

Thanks for the clear explanation.

*Seriously, not a lawyer

. For example, the loan deal could provide that NYC cannot sign Bravo for __ months after the loan ends unless they exercise the option and pay the fee.

This sounds a bit like a non-compete clause type of situation. It was my impression that those are being challenged more successfully lately, since it inhibits where someone can work even when they are out of contract with the original party. Is that correct? Are non-compete clauses common in the rest of the world?

#notalawyer