NYCFC Season Discussion 2023: We Know What We Are, But Not What We May Be

Who Is Most To Blame For The Failure Of The 2023 Season?

• Nick Cushing

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • David Lee

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Brad Sims

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marty Edelman

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • CFG

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
538 MLS Soccer Rankings Debuted in 2017. I've kept a record of NYCFC's ranking most weeks from then to now. Honestly I'm not sure why, but it's over in any event. I missed occasional weeks here and there, and I'm sure there are scattered input errors. SPI Ratings were not included until 2018, and I did not record Offensive and Defensive Ratings until 2018.

CategoryNumberDate/Notes
Best Offense Rating1.93x August to September 2021
Worst Offense Rating1.24x February to April 2018
Best Defense Rating1.214x from Aug 2021 to June 2022
Worst Defense Rating1.7 May 28, 2018
Highest SPI Rating59.1Sept. 5, 2021
Lowest SPI Rating38.0February 26, 2018
Highest % Odds to Win Shield32May 30 and June 19, 2022
Highest % Odds to Win MLS Cup26July 25, 2022
Number Times NYCFC Ranked #1 to Win MLS Cup20Assorted 2021 and 2022

Great stuff. Buy that man a new spreadsheet program!

What the heck was going on in early 2018? We finished 2nd in the league in 2017, and we were in 1st, or close to 1st, for most of the first half of 2018.

Great stuff. Buy that man a new spreadsheet program!

What the heck was going on in early 2018? We finished 2nd in the league in 2017, and we were in 1st, or close to 1st, for most of the first half of 2018.
I noticed that also. As noted, MLS SPI rankings were started in 2018. I think 538 made some guesses to start out and then quickly let the data fix things. By August 2018 NYCFC had an SPI above 50, which then went down during the Dome slump of 2018-2019. It was back to 50 again in August 2019. Basically, I think the early 2018 SPI numbers mean less than all the ones that followed. That's a guess, but it matches what we know.

A thought that came to me last night...

Do we go all out in the Leagues Cup as that's our only shot at a trophy this season and spot in CCL?

Or do we just blow out of it, take the month to regroup, rest, and train (with our new signings) and then hopefully go on a run to qualify for the playoffs?

Do we go all out in the Leagues Cup as that's our only shot at a trophy this season and spot in CCL?

Or do we just blow out of it, take the month to regroup, rest, and train (with our new signings) and then hopefully go on a run to qualify for the playoffs?

i think the 2nd choice. nick's been harping about rotation and rest. so here's good chance to do that with no real consequences. though i would still like to try and beat toronto. of course, this is all contingent on actual signings. as long as they are in the works, i say #2

If it’s a better chance for hardware I guess go for it… why bother to losing a wild card playoff game.

i think the 2nd choice. nick's been harping about rotation and rest. so here's good chance to do that with no real consequences. though i would still like to try and beat toronto. of course, this is all contingent on actual signings. as long as they are in the works, i say #2

Atlas and Toronto are both awful, so we really should be a high seed in the knockout portion. We have to be realistic -- we're not going to win the event, but hopefully we don't have too long a layoff and win a couple games.

Reactions: moogoo
Atlas and Toronto are both awful, so we really should be a high seed in the knockout portion. We have to be realistic -- we're not going to win the event, but hopefully we don't have too long a layoff and win a couple games.

but we are currently also pretty awful. so... could be a battle.

but we are currently also pretty awful. so... could be a battle.

Yeah, that's true. But we have home games against both teams -- four points is the absolute bare minimum we should get out of that group.

Yeah, that's true. But we have home games against both teams -- four points is the absolute bare minimum we should get out of that group.

i don't think we're in any sort of position to be demanding minimum points from any games. lol. our results have not shown we are capable of getting necessary points even when the odds should be in our favor

Reactions: mgarbowski
NYCFC lost 1-0 to Toronto earlier this year, how soon we forget.

Game 24 is in 8 days. The likelihood of announcing a transfer, then completing physicals, getting a visa, and de minimis training by then is near zero. The window opened 2 days ago and any illusions that management had about the competitive level of the current roster had to have dissipated 2 months ago at least. They could have had something ready. Taty was loaned out 348 days ago. They intentionally decided to play a full 70% of the season like this, and then try to catch up in the final 10 games.

With 12 remaining games the projected playoff line is currently above 44.

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 9.53.11 AM.png
Montreal, the team in ninth place both here and on the official points table has 3 more wins than NYCFC with 2 games in hand and just added a young striker already in North America who should be able to play immediately, unless there are Canadian work visa issues. My initial reaction is they overpaid, but they have him, with 14 games to go. RB and Chicago are behind NYC in the official table but both also have 2 games in hand.

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 10.08.25 AM.png
There's really just one way to get above 44 points with more than 4 losses.
Three of the next four games are Away to teams who collectively win 78% of their home games: Columbus (8-1-2 at Home), Philadelphia (7-1-2) and Cincinnati (10-0-1).
NYC has 7 home games remaining.
Maybe all of DC, Montreal, Charlotte, RB and Chicago slump. Maybe NYC starts to win, and continues to tie instead of losing.
It would really help not to lose both of the next 2 games before the break, and even 1 win would be huge.

Those home records for Cincy, PHL and CLB. Yikes. Remember when this team was like that at home?

Those home records for Cincy, PHL and CLB. Yikes. Remember when this team was like that at home?

Keanu Reeves Lionsgate GIF by John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

Apologies in advance, because I couldn't find the exact post where someone mentioned how boring the team is, so I'll just plant this here.

24th place on the watchability scale is fair. NYCFC has tied nearly half of its games, has played 14 of 22 games where neither team scored more than 1 goal, & NYCFC itself has failed to score more than 1 goal in 77% of its games. They scored more than 1 goal just once in the last 11 games and that game ended in a draw.

NYCFC ranks at 23rd place (tied with Toronto) for combined goals per game, for and against (2.18). The only teams who score/allow fewer goals per game are Dallas, Nashville, Colorado, Seattle and RB.

Reactions: Gene
we all know that NYCFC has been awful at getting results this year - either driving play yet not winning or not “stealing” results when they don’t play well.

want to see the flip side? Supporters Shield leading Cincy played on the road against that same Charlotte team who NYCFC met on Wednesday. Cincy has been clinical this year at getting results - most of their wins are by one goal.

What did Cincy do tonight? Promptly fall down 2-0, but they come back and score two goals to be even. They then get a red but secure the result for the last 15 minutes to get a point where they were down 2 goals on the road and then were down a man. That is getting a result.

Reactions: LionNYC and Kenny
we all know that NYCFC has been awful at getting results this year - either driving play yet not winning or not “stealing” results when they don’t play well.

want to see the flip side? Supporters Shield leading Cincy played on the road against that same Charlotte team who NYCFC met on Wednesday. Cincy has been clinical this year at getting results - most of their wins are by one goal.

What did Cincy do tonight? Promptly fall down 2-0, but they come back and score two goals to be even. They then get a red but secure the result for the last 15 minutes to get a point where they were down 2 goals on the road and then were down a man. That is getting a result.
We are the second youngest team in MLS (the youngest is the Red Bulls). Not that it's an ironclad excuse-- St. Louis is the fourth youngest. But as many others have pointed out, some veteran leadership on the attacking side would go a looooong way in these types of situations.