NYCFC Sign Maxime Chanot

You guys wanted news right?

http://thenycfcnation.sportsblog.co...-close-to-signing-defender-maxime-chanot.html

We're close to signing another French defender, and he's played with Brillant (albeit a while ago and not that much)

Good job with the reporting and a nice write up too.

The fact that he can play both CB and RB is important here, as we are suddenly short on FB depth with Iraola's move to CDM and Hernandez not really working out at RB (at least not in my mind). The move might also explain the experiment last weekend trying Mata up front.

Still, this doesn't seem like the major upgrade we were hoping for with a summer signing, and you have to wonder where the international slot is coming from. Maybe moving Mendoza? I'd hate to spend yet more GAM to get one.

Probably worth noting too that he is going to be missing a lot on FIFA international dates.

Seems he spent 2 years playing in the UK, so the language barrier shouldn't be an issue at least.

Reactions: adam
I like that he's a RB/CB hybrid. Would be nice to stop having to put Hernandez there as he has clearly shown he is only a CB.

The flexibility to play fullback would be nice, but I'd expect him to step in as a starter in the center right away. I think there's a good reason they're targeting a French speaking defender - it's come up a few times lately in broadcasts that Brillant doesn't speak the same language as his partner, which might be smoke that the team thought this was a serious issue to address.

The other positive about his comfort at full back is that it indicates he might be good with the ball at his feet and as a passer. We desperately need that, as we know.

Great target, IMO. Just 26 as well.

FWIW:

Transfermarkt
Brillant = 650k euro value
Chanot = 1.5 mil euro value

FIFA
Brillant = 66 overall
Chanot = 72 overall

Side note - I decided to do some early work procrastinating because I thought the name Beerschot (his second to last club) was a sweet name for a football team. I wiki'd it, and looks like they have since folded and started over at the bottom of the Belgian league after a merger. Pretty normal stuff, until you see the list of former players they've had, which is pretty impressive: Toby Alderweireld, Mousa Dembele, Jan Vertonghen, Radja Nainggolan, Victor Wanyama, just to name a few. Let's hope he's of a similar vintage!

I think there's a good reason they're targeting a French speaking defender - it's come up a few times lately in broadcasts that Brillant doesn't speak the same language as his partner, which might be smoke that the team thought this was a serious issue to address.
I ask this out of ignorance, admittedly, but how much of a language do you need to communicate during a game. I get that a moment's hesitation can cause problems but I would expect that to be overcome after a few games.
Isn't it a basic set of phrases:
On your left, Back, Up, etc?
That sort of stuff becomes second nature very fast. I take it I'm missing something. What is it?

I ask this out of ignorance, admittedly, but how much of a language do you need to communicate during a game. I get that a moment's hesitation can cause problems but I would expect that to be overcome after a few games.
That sort of stuff becomes second nature very fast. I take it I'm missing something. What is it?

I obviously never played anywhere near their level, but I've experienced this and while "square, man on, keeper, etc." are easy to pick up, it's harder to explain during a dead ball something like "when I slide out to stop the ball coming free down the right side, I need you to rotate over to my mark and call for Matarrita to drop deep and pick up yours," for example.

If you're 100% in sync and both extremely skilled it's probably not a major problem? But I can see a backline that already has issues struggling mightily to communicate effectively with a language barrier.

I think it could become somewhat second nature, but I would imagine it may be difficult keeping right from left. At the least, a defender having to think, "He said 'Left'", that means over there" as opposed to just knowing it.

It gives you a greener line in FUT draft.

Also, how do you say "Hernandez, you idiot, stop pulling on that guy's jersey in the box just because he's beaten you, and put your hand down, you're keeping that other guy on-sides all game, he's tearing us a new set of assholes" if you don't speak the language?

Good job with the reporting and a nice write up too.

The fact that he can play both CB and RB is important here, as we are suddenly short on FB depth with Iraola's move to CDM and Hernandez not really working out at RB (at least not in my mind). The move might also explain the experiment last weekend trying Mata up front.

Still, this doesn't seem like the major upgrade we were hoping for with a summer signing, and you have to wonder where the international slot is coming from. Maybe moving Mendoza? I'd hate to spend yet more GAM to get one.

Probably worth noting too that he is going to be missing a lot on FIFA international dates.
My money would be on Martinez leaving to be honest (but that's speculation). They have Matarrita and now Allen who can play LB, I'd venture to say the Matarrita at LW project failed so there's no need for Martinez.

Either way, he's by all accounts, a solid player and fits Vieira's modus operandi.

1) A player who is starting quality
2) A player who will challenge starters for time
3) Someone who will not damage the locker room environment