Nycfc Trade For Omar Salgado

Too bad that he won't ever play for NYCFC and they already have a buyer lined up. Maybe they would loan him back from mysterious buyer...

Reactions: Kjbert
Even though I don't see it as a big deal one way or another, it does seem to me this transaction is just more ammo for the anti-MLS types who criticize the league for its Calvin Ball approach towards rules.

Why have a specific transfer rule in place and then allow an easy avenue to open up for a team to not only get around it, but not even bother to keep it a secret?

Maybe the rule is to prevent teams from transferring outside of MLS before the expansion teams get a crack at them? So by doing it this way, at least NYC is involved? Who knows?

Maybe the rule is to prevent teams from transferring outside of MLS before the expansion teams get a crack at them?
Unless I'm misreading it, I believe that's exactly why the rule is in place. But what it seems to have come down to is Vancouver got to transfer him out before they had to make the decision to protect or expose him in the draft. :confused:

Well we would retain his rights if he were to come back to the MLS though. As long as those rules don't change with the new CBA.

So what is NYCFC getting for this deal with the international club? Cash? They traded for him to sell him for cash? Is this correct?

Last edited:
So what is NYCFC getting for this deal with the I terbation club? Cash? They traded for him to sell him for cash? Is this correct?

Largely. The Whitecaps can't sell players at the current time so they traded him to NYCFC, who will do the selling for them. Presumably we split the transfer fee, and there's suggestions of the Whitecaps receiving immunity from us in the draft too. But yeah, basically we get cash.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Largely. The Whitecaps can't sell players at the current time so they traded him to NYCFC, who will do the selling for them. Presumably we split the transfer fee, and there's suggestions of the Whitecaps receiving immunity from us in the draft too. But yeah, basically we get cash.
and by cash its basically allocation money correct?

I don't understand the logic to this. I mean I know the club, any club, is always looking for income, but aren't we expecting that NYCFC will have more cash than it can legally spend on players? Cut the part of the deal where [it is rumored] that we forego taking any players then it makes sense. We're basically getting cash for nothing, in what would on the face of it seem like a Nigerian email scam ("I have a player of value I want to sell, but cannot get move my money across international lines"). But if in return we agree to take no Whitecaps, well, it only makes sense if we had already decided there was nothing remotely appealing on the Whitecaps roster. Which might be the case. I freely admit little knowledge of MLS players at this point.

I don't understand the logic to this. I mean I know the club, any club, is always looking for income, but aren't we expecting that NYCFC will have more cash than it can legally spend on players? Cut the part of the deal where [it is rumored] that we forego taking any players then it makes sense. We're basically getting cash for nothing, in what would on the face of it seem like a Nigerian email scam ("I have a player of value I want to sell, but cannot get move my money across international lines"). But if in return we agree to take no Whitecaps, well, it only makes sense if we had already decided there was nothing remotely appealing on the Whitecaps roster. Which might be the case. I freely admit little knowledge of MLS players at this point.
Well NYCFC is a sports team obviously, but we are also a business. I don't think there is such a thing as getting too much money, if we have the opportunity to get some extra cash without losing anything, I don't have an issue with us doing it. Especially with the CBA negotiations going on and our amount of money we are allowed to spend set to inevitably go up.

1 - Vancouver wants to sell Selgado
2- With transfer window shut Vancouver cannot sell
3-as an expansion team, NYCFC can sell
4-Vancouver trades Selgado to NYCFC, tells them they already has a buyer.
4a- NYCFC decides they don't need a young potential headache/striker
5- NYC agrees to sell Selgado and splits transfer fee with Vancouver
6- Everyone is happy.

USAfan6 and MagnusPax, thanks, but I got that part. What seems a bit much to me - and what I thought I wrote - is where we (are rumored but not confirmed) to agree not to not take a Vancouver player in the draft as part of the deal.

Well that's just speculation. Usually we never know. The league rarely announces such deals and the club's rarely if ever announce it as well. To be honest, Vancouver really doesn't have anyone interesting.