NYCFC v Chicago Postmatch

I can't remember Villa playing as deep as Sunday in that 4-3-3. We take his high pressure, which is very good and often, for granted but seeing him also defend 20-25 yards from the touchline as often and effectively as he did was impressive.

Your great to the point summary, I totally agree with. I am not too involved with tactics, and was wondering if our Capitan Villa was defending too.

Thanks for making me realize that watching live soccer has increased my awareness and knowledge of it. It’s a big difference watching on a TV screen vs. the whole stadium with the eyes of an amateur “Coach Potato” fan

Watching that 90 in 90 video, we did have some good chances. Unlucky that game. Hate to keep saying that since it felt that way last year too, but this weekend is a good time to cash in our unused luck cards. Columbus has been shitty, we get to play on a normal sized pitch, weather should be decent.

Lets go blue!

I've said it before when I've slammed Villa for pouting - his goal scoring in MLS is average at best for a guy of his pedigree. Take away his PK's (7 of 18 total) last year and he really was average with only 11 goals from the run of play and free kicks. I feel like he scored at least 2-3 from free kicks, so that means he only got 8-9 from the run of play - that's not great over the course of the season.

I truly hope he's only in a slump and lights it up soon, otherwise he's not providing the necessary return on investment.
It was 2 free kick goals, 2 games in a row. So 9 from the run of play. As our captain and #1 DP, he should be putting in close to twice that.

It was 2 free kick goals, 2 games in a row. So 9 from the run of play. As our captain and #1 DP, he should be putting in close to twice that.
Did you see the team he played with last year? 9 goals with that shitty, back passing, clueless group was a miracle.

Reactions: Kjbert
I really believe the team need to offload Lampard and Pirlo

They were great players in their time, but they are not suited to the MLS.

We should be trying to recruit 2 dp's for the attack and midfield aged about 25 to 28

I thought on the whole the defence was better this game. Unfortunately we lacked a cutting edge going forward.

Said by others here, but Villa's finishing is no better or worse than last year. He's been wasteful in front of goal since coming here. He's had some sublime moments, but he's missed some really simple finishes.

He could/should have had 5-7 more last year if he finished 1v1s. I think it's just where he is right now as a player. He's still far from being our weakest link. Just pointing it out that I don't agree that he's dropped off. Rather, he's just the same to my eyes.

I really believe the team need to offload Lampard and Pirlo

They were great players in their time, but they are not suited to the MLS.

We should be trying to recruit 2 dp's for the attack and midfield aged about 25 to 28

I thought on the whole the defence was better this game. Unfortunately we lacked a cutting edge going forward.

Getting those players aged 25-28 is easier said than done

He's had some sublime moments, but he's missed some really simple finishes.
This.
Did you see the team he played with last year? 9 goals with that shitty, back passing, clueless group was a miracle.
I'm still a fan of Villa, as I am for all of our players. But he is not a #1 DP type. A #1 DP can be a regular dominant force. Not every game, but regularly. While we saw some of this last year, enough to merit him being a DP, we didn't see enough to merit him being our supposed #1 guy. Unfortunately, right now, we don't have that #1 guy. So Villa is good. He's very good. He's worthy of DP money. But he's not the kind of dominant player to build a team around. Neither are our other 2 DPs. So we'll be doing plenty of drawing board work over the coming few years.

Reactions: The Toe and Ulrich
This.

I'm still a fan of Villa, as I am for all of our players. But he is not a #1 DP type. A #1 DP can be a regular dominant force. Not every game, but regularly. While we saw some of this last year, enough to merit him being a DP, we didn't see enough to merit him being our supposed #1 guy. Unfortunately, right now, we don't have that #1 guy. So Villa is good. He's very good. He's worthy of DP money. But he's not the kind of dominant player to build a team around. Neither are our other 2 DPs. So we'll be doing plenty of drawing board work over the coming few years.
Who do you consider a #1 DP in the league?

I ended up having to cut one thing from this week's episode (posting tonight) which I wanted to mention. One of the biggest quality gaps that I've noticed since I started watching MLS last year after watching European leagues for years is the propensity of the CBs in MLS to let the ball bounce on long balls into their half of the field. It rarely happens at top levels. A large part of that is, of course, disaparate skill levels, but I think part is also a question of approach.

One of the things I really like about Brillant's match against Chicago is he goes and gets the balls in the air. I guess this is not surprising given where he comes from, but I think the value in having someone do that is significant. It cuts out those ugly situations where the balls is loose between the CBs and Saunders which can create good opportunities.

Now, of course, Brillant isn't as good as top European CBs at controlling the header and directing it towards a teammate all the time, but he was pretty decent and just the fact that he was getting to the ball was of real value.

He got off to a rocky start in the first match in Chicago and then had a non-descript game against Toronto, but, I think, that his coming in for an injured White last week was actually a fortuitous break for us in the long run.

I ended up having to cut one thing from this week's episode (posting tonight) which I wanted to mention. One of the biggest quality gaps that I've noticed since I started watching MLS last year after watching European leagues for years is the propensity of the CBs in MLS to let the ball bounce on long balls into their half of the field. It rarely happens at top levels. A large part of that is, of course, disaparate skill levels, but I think part is also a question of approach.

One of the things I really like about Brillant's match against Chicago is he goes and gets the balls in the air. I guess this is not surprising given where he comes from, but I think the value in having someone do that is significant. It cuts out those ugly situations where the balls is loose between the CBs and Saunders which can create good opportunities.

Now, of course, Brillant isn't as good as top European CBs at controlling the header and directing it towards a teammate all the time, but he was pretty decent and just the fact that he was getting to the ball was of real value.

He got off to a rocky start in the first match in Chicago and then had a non-descript game against Toronto, but, I think, that his coming in for an injured White last week was actually a fortuitous break for us in the long run.
Good observation, ill add that his game v toronto was at RB in a 3 man backline, probably not a position he has ever played before.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
Who do you consider a #1 DP in the league?
That's a good questions, and maybe there are fewer of these than I imagine. But both of our neighbors north of the border seem to have one. Kaka seems to play a dominant role in the fortunes of Orl. Kamara.

Again, I'm a fan of Villa. He has extraordinary moments. But to your much earlier point, he needs service. He needs chances created for him. He doesn't take on and beat multiple defenders or draw them to him and deliver the killer pass. At least he hasn't lately. I am as eager as any to see him start burying more of the chances that come his way.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
That's a good questions, and maybe there are fewer of these than I imagine. But both of our neighbors north of the border seem to have one. Kaka seems to play a dominant role in the fortunes of Orl. Kamara.

Again, I'm a fan of Villa. He has extraordinary moments. But to your much earlier point, he needs service. He needs chances created for him. He doesn't take on and beat multiple defenders or draw them to him and deliver the killer pass. At least he hasn't lately. I am as eager as any to see him start burying more of the chances that come his way.
I'd also include Keane and maybe Drogba on that list of DP #1s.

Keane-has been lighting it up in LA since coming over (74 goals in 110 games ~.67 goals a game) and makes LA a threat whenever he is on the field. LA almost looks lost without him up top vs. being one of the top teams in the MLS.

Drogba-came in last summer and brought Montreal onto another level. CBs had no idea how to stop him. Only reason he's a maybe is due to his not playing on any turf, being a baby, and in my mind not really caring about the team. Training overseas during the preseason and leaving your comeback until the last minute?

I can see where you are coming from, I just put Villa in that category. When i think of almost all our goals he was a part. They just showed the goals v columbus on FB and you had him with one and feeding Poku on a sweet through ball on another. That is why this team frustrates me so much. We have, who I think, the best player in the league, and we are basically wasting him.