Nycfc V Montreal Motm And Post-game

Wow.... Thoroughly outplayed but huge 3 points. Saunders played great again. Villa played great again. Facey played great again. Kwame sucks, Wingert is meh, Poku isn't a starter, America is great! Beer is great!

You know, Villa's "antics" on the field, if he's visibly upset or whatever... At least he doesn't let his emotion get the best of him and get a straight red like Kaka did last night. Villa looks like he's in the peak of his career out there -- have to imagine he's really happy with his play and these results. What a talent.

Reactions: Kjbert
It sounds like a real backs to the wall performance. Most important thing is that we won and got the 3 points. If you can't play well, at least get points on the board.

I am sure we will see better performances as the season goes on.

Don't think you're entitled to your own thread. This should go in the Post-Match discussion thread.

I wouldn't say "you're not entitled", but yes. If you're posting opinions of a single game, please put it in the match thread. For this reason, I've merged it into the main thread. If you want to post opinion based off the season so far, go ahead and post it as its own thread.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Well... Woke up a couple hours ago and finally watched the match. Based on the lineup we put out I'm very happy with the result.
Villa had a great game. Poku was pretty good. Wish we was fed more. Glad he lasted 80 as well.
Saunders was a monster.
Keep it going next week!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say "you're not entitled", but yes. If you're posting opinions of a single game, please put it in the match thread. For this reason, I've merged it into the main thread. If you want to post opinion based off the season so far, go ahead and post it as its own thread.
Noted.

We should be a lot more excited about this match than this!?!?!!
Where's everyone at?
Oh yeah... Hungover.

Back to work tomorrowz.. Have been enjoying stuff like fixing the garden and taking the dog to the vet for his annual checkup

Observations I don't think have been covered yet:

* Our fans. On the telecast, by far the most audible chant of the night was, "Saunders! Saunders!" We're awesome. Feel the love everyone.

* Fairness. Early in the season we lamented how many times we got a raw deal with deflections and other unfair losses of points. Well last night we got back three that I think were deserved, but certainly against the run of play. What goes around comes around.

* TMac's breakaway. Many have already expressed the opinion that he should have passed to Mullins. Look again here.

Z7F3x5t.jpg

Mullins has a defender within a few feet of him. Also Mullins is a righty if I'm not mistaken. So he would either have to shoot with his off foot or let the ball cross him even closer to the defender. TMac was right to shoot. Also, he's got a scorer's mentality (which I like). Take a crack. (BTW, I said the same of Ballouchy at Cosmos. When you have a shot within the 18, I will rarely complain that you took it.) What I also find noteworthy was the run and pass in behind the D. That was brilliantly done. Here's the point at which the ball is passing the back line. I believe it was Villa who made the pass or it could have been Ballouchy. Can't tell for sure.

0DbByB9.png

Great run in behind.

* Villa's first goal was his best of the season. We haven't praised this shot enough. He had no angle. In my mind I once caught a 7' bass and that shot was taken from 3 feet beyond the end line. Seriously, there was no way to shoot directly on goal from where he was, going across his body, to get it on frame, far post, with enough power to beat the GK. Just amazing.

* Poku. There's a lot to say here.

* Poku vision. Once again he astounds. The long ball forward to Mullins in the MTL box was brilliant. He is the best on the team at seeing and delivering the long ball. Can't wait to see him on the pitch with Pirlo.

* Poku power. He is unfairly strong. I really think the MLS might need a rule against him. I don't know any other way he can be contained. Poku 1v1 with anyone else in the league has odds for Poku the way da Bears superfans gave odds for Ditka (or even mini-Ditka).

* Poku feet. As strong as he is, his footwork needs development time. In tight spaces he is still prone to a clumsy touch (not Nemec level by any stretch, but still a development point worth watching).

* Poku pressure. His biggest liability is when he gets pressured by more than one opposition player. 1v1, he'll trounce the other guy. All alone, he'll pick his head up and make a tremendous pass. But 1v2 or 1v3 he has too much tendency to keep the ball until he gets in too much trouble and loses it.

Lastly, 3 points against a team that gave up .5/game at home before last night. 12 points out of our last 15 for a team that had 8 out of its first possible 39. I could get used to this.

What impresses me most about Poku isn't just his vision, it's his delivery. He hits the ball hard, but right on target. Too often, I feel like our passes are too lightly weighted to let the other team catch up on the play, but Poku does a nice job getting the ball to feet ASAP.