Status
Not open for further replies.

Falastur

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 20, 2014
Herts, UK
The next game in our three-game slog is against the Impact, back at home in NYC. Hopefully we'll see some of the players we assume were rested. Impact are flying high, though.

We sure need something to happen, fast...

Game is at 7pm and will be on FSG for those who have it.

Maybe this lineup. Why not.

View attachment 4760
I don't want to see Hernandez again this season. His positioning sucks. He hands off attackers without Brilliant able to take them due to either his own mark or not being close enough. And his passing does nothing to help the flow and usually places the GK in bad positions.

I don't want to see Hernandez again this season. His positioning sucks. He hands off attackers without Brilliant able to take them due to either his own mark or not being close enough. And his passing does nothing to help the flow and usually places the GK in bad positions.
I see your point on Hernandez and don't necessarily disagree, the only problem is Thiago Silva is not available.

Hear me out... Allen is reliable. He was very reliable last year. Why not play him at CB or even at LB for Matta and use Matta higher up the pitch which he clearly likes to do. Maybe the guy won't be burned out by the 80th minute.

Reactions: NYCisBlue_
I thought I also saw some reports a couple week ago of Iraola practicing at CB and Allen at a winger spot,

I think we go back to something more familiar this week, with a 3-2-2-3.

Interesting questions/predictions include these:

- Lampard seems on the verge of being back, so I am predicting we will see him off the bench for Mix or TMac in one of the games.
- I am also predicting that we will see Jack Harrison sub in on the left wing in one of the two games.
- Will Poku start again? I am guessing 'no', but I predict will see him sub for one of the forward midfielders in a game or two; I still wish we could see him on the wing in a 4-3-3 or even a 4-2-3-1.
- Does Vieira ever consider moving Pirlo a little more forward to one of the spots that Mix and TMac have been running?
- What is the right combination in back? Will we ever see Mena again?

image.jpeg

I'd like to see us go back to the 3-4-3 or 3-2-2-3. Whatever you prefer to call it. I think Pirlo needs someone next to him that's willing to sit back and defend and Bravo sitting there allows him to get up field a little more. Poku doesn't track back defensively enough when he's in the midfield so why not take away his defensive duties all together and play him up top as your CF. Let him run at defenses and then not have to worry about running back to defend. Put Villa at LW where he can run at defenses 1v1 and cut across the top of the box. And just change Saunders please. I know this won't happen but it's what I'd like to see

I thought I also saw some reports a couple week ago of Iraola practicing at CB and Allen at a winger spot,

That's a good point, with Allen back maybe that's an option again. I'd rather see Allen on the outside for his speed and crossing ability with Iraola sliding to CB. Iraola, Allen and Hernandez are all listed at 6'0". To me it appears Allen's height maybe over listed as both Iraola and Hernandez look taller. A swap of Iraola for Hernandez at CB wouldn't cost us size and should provide a player more capable of playing out of the back. Does Iraola have the toughness to play CB though?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I'm ready to abandon all conservativism when throwing out lineup suggestions, because it seems more than a minor adjustment is needed. Just spitballin, but how about a flat 3-4-3?

F: Villa, Poku, Taylor
M: Matarrita, Mix, Pirlo, Shelton
D: Hernandez, Bravo, Iraola
K: Johansen

Poku at CF, because he's clearly not going to hack it anytime soon as a CM in our system. Up front takes advantage of his size, power, and finish. Villa on the left because he's not standing out as a CF in this league. He likes to play one-on-one, and he can do that from the outside. In the middle, it just turns into dribbling into a one-on-two.

Matarrita is pulled out of the backline, allowing him more freedom to attack. He plays like a LWB, while Shelton sits as a RM and overlaps Taylor in the attack.

For the backline, choose your favorite three defenders. Not counting Mata, I believe Bravo and Iraola are our best two, and PV seems to like Hernandez so I'll put him in over Brillant.

F: Villa, Poku, Taylor
M: Matarrita, Mix, Pirlo, Shelton
D: Hernandez, Bravo, Iraola
K: Johansen

I think Pirlo needs to be further up the pitch. He is a defensive liablility. Him and Mix can switch sides of the field. I agree with Iraola at CB, better ball skills than Hernandez.
View attachment 4768

What did Poku do in either of his starts this season to justify a continued starting role? Mendoza was awful against Columbus but I thought he bounced back a bit against Philly. I would like to see Poku in an attacking role as you both suggest but I think he would be much more effective coming off the bench when guys are tired and can't deal with his strength. For me Shelton and Mendoza both did well enough against Philly to justify another shot in the starting 11 on wed.

I know many will push back because it's not where he has been most successful at places like Juve but I agree that it would be very interesting to see Pirlo further up the pitch. With his passing skills and soccer IQ why can't he play a Ozil like passing focused CAM role roaming around behind Villa providing distribution and link up play with no defensive responsibilities. Let Bravo and Mix play behind him and go box to box. Mix can be a bit more offensive focused and Bravo can focus on the defensive side. Our primary offensive problem has been unlocking defenses in the final third let's push Pirlo up the field and see what he can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.