NYCFC v Philly Postmatch

Another game another winless performance.
2-0 with not much to show either.
Discuss...
Fire Vieira. Seriously. The guy is not qualified to manage a first team and we can't wait a few years for him to get experience and hope he bucks the trend of great players being shitty bosses. We need to move on.
I know I'm going to catch flack, because, he is from Europe and Europe is so much better than America. But no doubt hiring him was a mistake and not made with the intention of winning In MLS.

Reactions: Angela Miller
Personally I just feel that the team as a whole is poor. It shows on the field with some guys just shitting a brick under pressure and giving the ball away too easily. Not making simple passes, and so on. Hard to manage that really.

YES doing a Frank Lampard special post-game...my god.

Ian Joy ripping CFG for the lack of consistency.
Can't see him being with us for another year. Got a good gig with fox doing Bundesliga and having just had another kid I'm sure the LA to NYC travel isn't the greatest thing in the world. I do enjoy him tho

Reactions: NickA
The second half looked better from what I saw. More passing and moving, instead of players receiving the ball and taking a dozen touches before being closed down.

We've been a team for, what, a season and a quarter now? We'll all remember the day that we finally start being able to defend (if it ever comes.)

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I dont think some of you understand how defense is supposed to be played. It all starts in the back withr gk. He anchors the backline and he anchors the flanks in the mids. He communicates with them all game long and supposed to get people back in position. Josh Saunders is one of the worst gk i have ever seen at the pro level. His ability to rewd the game is awful, he makes bad runs bad jumps and as we all know has awful dsitribution. His shot stopping ability is avg at best. Why again does this man contimue to start for us is beyond me. When you have an offense that doesnt convert chances like we dont then this is the type of team you get. This is when villa gets frustrated and tries to compensate for the lack of offensive talent arpund him and he tries too much to put he ball in he net when he should traut his teammates if they had he skill. This team is pure garbage simple as that. Different coach sifferent year same shitty team with the same shotty gk.

Fire Vieira. Seriously. The guy is not qualified to manage a first team and we can't wait a few years for him to get experience and hope he bucks the trend of great players being shitty bosses. We need to move on.
I know I'm going to catch flack, because, he is from Europe and Europe is so much better than America. But no doubt hiring him was a mistake and not made with the intention of winning In MLS.
This isn't on Vieira any more than last season was on Kreis. It's on the Front Office for ascribing to "get rich quick" schemes instead of building a foundation for winning soccer.

Our team is built for ticket sales and marketing. You've got a ton of guys who flash skill, but only one legitimate match winner in Villa. And the cheap talent just isn't there -- we're continuing to waste incredibly valuable cap space on Mix, Iraola, and the English midfielder. I loved the Iraola signing when he came in, but he's just not a guy who contributes to wins. I'd also agree with Ian Joy today saying that Pirlo has been less than impressive since he joined -- he hasn't flashed legit playmaking ability, and he's a serious liability in every other facet of the game. He's even become unreliable on set pieces -- Mata showed more today than we've seen from Pirlo on set pieces since he's been here.

There's just not a clear vision for this club right now. You've got a roster that's built on taking advantage of space in a park so small that it's probably illegal. We're built on playing out of the back with a goalkeeper who has a pub league ability to distribute. This disconnect was evident when Kreis was coach, and it's evident now. I'd blame Reyna, but the documentary seems to show that he's more a figurehead than anything.

If you want to win while playing beautiful soccer, you have to have the players to do it. In MLS, it takes years to build up that kind of talent. They're just not pragmatic enough to win right now, and they don't have the skill to overcome the athletic and organized defenses you often see in MLS. The Front Office severely underestimated the amount of organizational talent (both in the front office and on the pitch) that is required to win in this league.

Good post and I agree.

Don't want to make too much out of it, but quite honestly I was surprised that Joy was rather blunt with his comments today. He really didn't say anything exactly earth shattering on the post game show, but it sure wasn't the vanilla bull shit you'd expect from a home team announcer either.

Reactions: leilanikali420
This isn't on Vieira any more than last season was on Kreis. It's on the Front Office for ascribing to "get rich quick" schemes instead of building a foundation for winning soccer.

Our team is built for ticket sales and marketing. You've got a ton of guys who flash skill, but only one legitimate match winner in Villa. And the cheap talent just isn't there -- we're continuing to waste incredibly valuable cap space on Mix, Iraola, and the English midfielder. I loved the Iraola signing when he came in, but he's just not a guy who contributes to wins. I'd also agree with Ian Joy today saying that Pirlo has been less than impressive since he joined -- he hasn't flashed legit playmaking ability, and he's a serious liability in every other facet of the game. He's even become unreliable on set pieces -- Mata showed more today than we've seen from Pirlo on set pieces since he's been here.

There's just not a clear vision for this club right now. You've got a roster that's built on taking advantage of space in a park so small that it's probably illegal. We're built on playing out of the back with a goalkeeper who has a pub league ability to distribute. This disconnect was evident when Kreis was coach, and it's evident now. I'd blame Reyna, but the documentary seems to show that he's more a figurehead than anything.

If you want to win while playing beautiful soccer, you have to have the players to do it. In MLS, it takes years to build up that kind of talent. They're just not pragmatic enough to win right now, and they don't have the skill to overcome the athletic and organized defenses you often see in MLS. The Front Office severely underestimated the amount of organizational talent (both in the front office and on the pitch) that is required to win in this league.

I said it last year and I will say it agin. I havent seen WIN but I always knew Reyna was a figurehead. To me firing JK was a stupid move. But you could tell JK and CFG were not a match. JK will not sit back and let CFG dictate player moves and other parts of the club when he knows It will not bring mls success. As you said MLS is a bery athletic and defensive league and you need an a very good backbone starting with a good gk to having two good cbs and and anchor in front of them.

I said this league will have pirlo begging to leave because he isnt athletic enough to be infront of the backbone. I still sont understand why PV has not went back to playing Bravo next to pirlo. That game vs Orlando is the exact lineup and play we need from this team sans Saunders. Give me that line up with EJ in net and we stand a chance.

Saunders is absolutely terrible. He was always out of position, even more so than usual.

Villa missed some absolute sure goals. As usual. He's no better than slightly above average for MLS strikers.

I've bitten my tongue before, but Bravo is scary bad at times. Usually, that's the worst times.

Our day tripper crew didn't get the lineup from when it came out. Nothing occurred to convince us we were wrong. Lopez is an absolute waste of a spot. He was beating Villa into the box regularly.

It's all disheartening. We are bad, bad, bad.

We're the sucker.

As I alluded too in the shout box, this is a huge task.
We're miles away from being competitive and consistent.
The roster is an unbalanced mish-mash of star quality, solid pros, and dross.
Athleticism and pace is at a premium.
PV has tried numerous combinations and hasn't found enough talent to make a cohesive unit.
It's going to be a long season.
But we need to keep fighting and stick together.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Ugh. My take is a very unlucky performance from the forwards. I will continue to shake my head at Hernandez and Saunders being ink starters every game. Hernandez plays very weak for a big guy. Pushed off that header by sapong on goal 2 and what a shitty tackle on goal 1. Saunders, give me a break. Goal 1 he didnt even move to cover the ball through his box. he gave sapong a wide open goal to go for. Villa with multiple close chances. Those will start to go in at some point.

Ok rant time after surviving getting out of PA.

Why the fuck did Mikey stay on the field for so long felt like he didn't even belong there

PV man dude I get it you tried new shit but damm team just doesn't know or want to shoot the fucking ball Shelton had one good opportunity and then passes it :rolleyes:

Second goal was just pathetic

And I still want johanssen starting can't be worse than what's on now

I guess we wait and see what the sanctions are coming for away games....probably gonna ruin the Portland trip I planned already:mad:

I feel like we lost fair and square tonight, probably with the last week game as well we were the worse team and deserve to be beat

The gamble in change failed, maybe due to playing on Wednesday night influenced that, overall Villa was good in the first half and that's it, everyone tonight was a 5/10 in performance

We looked like the team last season all over the place and without our other 2 DP it definitely showed up, only one word can sum up tonight, disappointing, back to the drawing boards and hopefully we can get the W on Wednesday