NYCFC v Revolution Postmatch

This early part of schedule was must win, looking at the rest of the year. Unless we turn into one of the nest teams in the league going forward, it is panic time because if the teams we are dropping points to. Chicago orlando and NE are not playoff teams or barely playoff teams. This feels a lot like last year. sadly

This early part of schedule was must win, looking at the rest of the year. Unless we turn into one of the nest teams in the league going forward, it is panic time because if the teams we are dropping points to. Chicago orlando and NE are not playoff teams or barely playoff teams. This feels a lot like last year. sadly
This has logical legitimacy, but this game is not always a logical one.
Bottom line is I think Schwallacus had it right. Four more game of bad results (9 games into the season) and we have real trouble. Which would still be something that could be overcome, but would take more than a 3-5 good games. Last year our season was in big trouble by week 9, and a full shambles at weeks 11-13. We then won 4 of 5 in games 14-18, and it was reason for hope, but would have required a sustained rate of success we came nowhere near to fulfilling to make the playoffs.
This makes a lot more sense because momentum plays a surprising role in sports. Even though strength of schedule gets worse later in the year, a win streak can turn things around in a hurry and convince the team they are better than they are. They will then play up to that expectation and win, even during a "tougher" stretch of schedule.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself. Here's hoping.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Securitas tool threatening to eject me from the stadium an hour before the game because I wanted to meet my Forums friends, awful. Attendance, disappointing. Missing the only goal while at the head, consistent. Punting another 2 points, dreadful. Celebrating what looked like a goal in the final seconds, painful. Poku was a mixed bag. Mendoza is all shake no shine. The team is playing very tight and tentatively. Frustration seems already to be tarnishing their play. It's early and I'm still hopeful for better days, but this was a rough one.
Better-late-than-never reply to this. The security around the Batter's Eye is both extreme and lackadaisical, especially that early before the game. I arrived at the section a little after 2 and there was nobody checking tickets or game cards. We just sat down. Then 10 minutes later my daughter and I were made to justify our presence by 2 separate employees. And they routinely check tickets/cards when you return after leaving for food or the restroom during the game. My advice for anyone trying to visit going forward is this. Walk behind the food court towards the field. There is a publicly open area back there so you can circle that food service area without running afoul of security. Past that, there is a barrier before the seats with openings only at both ends. If there is a guard there, but not standing at the end where you can pass by, you're probably better off not just going in, but getting his/her attention and asking if you can enter that walkway between the seats and the barrier to try to see your friends. There are only two rows so you can see or call to anyone in the seats from back there. There are 3 sections, and none of them are marked. Section 1 is closest to the supporters and left field, and 3 (where I sit) is closest to right field and on your left as you look at the field.

Reactions: JayH
It's definitely not panic time yet - there's plenty of games left. Plus I don't buy into the good/team bad team must win games because there are a ton of "expected" good teams that are in worse shape than us.

And there isn't one thing about this season that feels like last year - we move the ball well, we get really good shots albeit they're not falling, and the team appears to be playing for each other rather than simply next to/with each other. The vibe is completely different. Last year we couldn't buy a shot on goal during the first half of the season and it was depressing watching the energy on the field and from the coach.

Better-late-than-never reply to this. The security around the Batter's Eye is both extreme and lackadaisical, especially that early before the game. I arrived at the section a little after 2 and there was nobody checking tickets or game cards. We just sat down. Then 10 minutes later my daughter and I were made to justify our presence by 2 separate employees. And they routinely check tickets/cards when you return after leaving for food or the restroom during the game. My advice for anyone trying to visit going forward is this. Walk behind the food court towards the field. There is a publicly open area back there so you can circle that food service area without running afoul of security. Past that, there is a barrier before the seats with openings only at both ends. If there is a guard there, but not standing at the end where you can pass by, you're probably better off not just going in, but getting his/her attention and asking if you can enter that walkway between the seats and the barrier to try to see your friends. There are only two rows so you can see or call to anyone in the seats from back there. There are 3 sections, and none of them are marked. Section 1 is closest to the supporters and left field, and 3 (where I sit) is closest to right field and on your left as you look at the field.
Thanks. In fact, I think I even saw who I am sure was you there with your daughter alone in the middle of the row, closest to right field. I was just looking down at the field, and the Securitas guy came over and asked me for my ticket. I told him very nicely that I was just stopping by for a few minutes to say hello to friends, even told him where my seats were, and he yelled at me to move. I moved back to the area with the round-top tables, had a beer, and about 10 minutes later, he saw me from a distance, ran over and actually got in my face and told me he was going to eject me from the stadium. I (somehow) kept my cool, calmly told him how poorly I thought that he had handled himself, and went back to my seats to see my friends who I had invited to the game. It really was bizarre, almost as if he was just looking for an opportunity to assert his "power" and eject someone from the stadium.

Reactions: Goodfella
Thanks. In fact, I think I even saw who I am sure was you there with your daughter alone in the middle of the row, closest to right field. I was just looking down at the field, and the Securitas guy came over and asked me for my ticket. I told him very nicely that I was just stopping by for a few minutes to say hello to friends, even told him where my seats were, and he yelled at me to move. I moved back to the area with the round-top tables, had a beer, and about 10 minutes later, he saw me from a distance, ran over and actually got in my face and told me he was going to eject me from the stadium. I (somehow) kept my cool, calmly told him how poorly I thought that he had handled himself, and went back to my seats to see my friends who I had invited to the game. It really was bizarre, almost as if he was just looking for an opportunity to assert his "power" and eject someone from the stadium.
Yeah that was almost certainly us, and if a person with power wants to be a jerk, it's hard to argue with them. Most extremely ridiculous, however, that he harassed you in the public area. I think it gets rented out for parties before Yankee games, and then people from the party get to sit in the seats - which is why the sections are not marked and stubHub was even confused about the existence of sections. This concept where the seats are normal tickets and the food area is public might confuse some of the staff. Not an excuse of course but it might explain why.

Reactions: JayH
I feel the past two games Vieira has done a poor job with subs. I understand the Mullins sub, but the Ballouchy one (even last game too) still boggles my mind. I probably would've gone with Mikey Lopez instead, to bring some pace and life to our team in the last 10-15 minutes. I know Lopez is a bit more defensive minded, but his pace and desire are something I've noticed when he's come onto the field. Granted, he wasted the perfect header opportunity to get us 3 points vs. Toronto, but what has Ballouchy done? Slow, much less technically able, and seems to slow any movement or potential attack as soon as he gets the ball. I don't understand what Vieira thinks Ballouchy is going to give to the team by bringing him on.

Also felt Mendoza had a chance to show us he should start, and did a lot less than he does as a 20-30 minute sub. Didn't think I'd be saying this, but Khiry should start over Mendoza. Khiry plays defense, and Mendoza is a good super-sub to make some last minute chances.

I think Ballouchy has two functions, neither of which were applicable here:

(1) He can be a safe pair of hands in the sense that, I think, he doesn't give the ball away that much. He can therefore be useful to kill off a game. The flipside of that is that he doesn't create much so I don't think he is helpful playing a deeper role when we are trying to get a goal.

(2) He has shown an occasional touch of class in terms of finishing. The guy scored two of our better individual goals last year early in the season. I still don't think he's the first answer when we are chasing a game, but to get any value from that skill he needs to be closer to the box.

Mostly, he was just a strange substitution in each of the last two games.

I've watched the goal a bunch of times trying to figure out how the ball got from Taylor to Villa, who then hit the bar. It was weird looking, but I think the answer is that Taylor slipped on the "infield" which let to the odd pop up as opposed to it being a genuine chip.

Did others see it that way? If so, that is a fantastic use of the home field advantage!

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I've watched the goal a bunch of times trying to figure out how the ball got from Taylor to Villa, who then hit the bar. It was weird looking, but I think the answer is that Taylor slipped on the "infield" which let to the odd pop up as opposed to it being a genuine chip.

Did others see it that way? If so, that is a fantastic use of the home field advantage!
I can't tell if you're right. He definitely slipped as he was swinging at the ball with his left foot. What I cannot really decide on is the timing: did he hit it just before he lost balance, or after. Even if he had balance, you could still be right and it chipped due to the turf.
Also notable is that TMAC nearly got kicked in the head. A Revs player, I think Woodberry, tried to kick the ball high, just missed Tommy's head, and ended up with ankle to neck contact as Tommy followed through with his run. It was largely unmentioned here but it sort of blew up on Twitter.

I can't tell if you're right. He definitely slipped as he was swinging at the ball with his left foot. What I cannot really decide on is the timing: did he hit it just before he lost balance, or after. Even if he had balance, you could still be right and it chipped due to the turf.
Also notable is that TMAC nearly got kicked in the head. A Revs player, I think Woodberry, tried to kick the ball high, just missed Tommy's head, and ended up with ankle to neck contact as Tommy followed through with his run. It was largely unmentioned here but it sort of blew up on Twitter.
I just re-watched it - TT looks like he catches his toe on the turf which initiates the fall. I think he was looking to shoot all the way, and was fortunate to chip it to Villa. Never saw the karate kick until you mentioned it - he couldn't have even made contact as TMac never flinched. Too bad, that could have been a straight red if he had.

Also finally saw the Mendoza assist on NE's goal.... the only way he makes contact like that is if he closed his eyes (not that I blame him) - his head barely moves to either try and block the ball or to add power to the header.

Reactions: mgarbowski
It's definitely not panic time yet - there's plenty of games left. Plus I don't buy into the good/team bad team must win games because there are a ton of "expected" good teams that are in worse shape than us.

And there isn't one thing about this season that feels like last year - we move the ball well, we get really good shots albeit they're not falling, and the team appears to be playing for each other rather than simply next to/with each other. The vibe is completely different. Last year we couldn't buy a shot on goal during the first half of the season and it was depressing watching the energy on the field and from the coach.

This game definitely felt like last season. For me we lacked energy throughout the game. They quickly recognised our left hand side was weak and targeted that throughout the game. I am hoping that with Mix, Khiry and Mattarita back next game we can show the same energy we showed in our first three games.

What concerns me is the fact we have 2 DP's in Lampard and Pirlo who for different reasons have been underwhelming.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Post-Match Sendoff. How well can you identify signatures?

I know that David Villa, Andoni Iraola, Mikey Lopez, and Eirik Johansen signed .. just not sure which ones are theirs. I'm still missing 5 names to go with signatures.

View attachment 4583
David Villa's signature is center -- just above the word "club". Iraola is below that to the left.

A lot of our players are afraid to make something happen. It's like they get to the final third and all they can think to do is to try and force a pass to Villa.

That's exactly what the last 10 minutes were.

Tommy Mac was named MOTM at the stadium. What a joke. He was pretty poor.

We look poor. without Mix and Matarrita, we have no one to win second balls. They are our most important two players. It's not really close.

Saunders is absolutely horrible. He has to be replaced.

Mac doesn't look like he can go 90 minutes at CM. His pressing and off the ball movement has been severely lackluster.

This team has zero idea how to counter. There is never any urgency coming out of the back.

That may be a product of wanting to impress the new coach/overcoaching. They're told to keep possession, that's what on their minds. It takes some of the creative expression away from the players. Guardiola tells his players its his responsibility to get the players to the final third, and then its up to them. Maybe PV should start operating like that.

I'm going to apologize right now because I must have a poor understanding of the most important skills required to play the goalkeeper position. Yes Saunders is poor playing the ball with his feet (we've known that for a long time) but he made plenty of good plays that kept us in that game as well as some nice throws down the flanks that jumped started the offense on a couple of occasions. You guys can bitch and moan all you want about Saunders but he's not tasked with scoring goals and that's why we aren't winning right now. I'm not sold on Johannson because he's never played a first division team and the last time we saw him he allowed 2 very soft goals at the end of a preseason match against an inferior team (Reykjavik or FC Cincinnati) when we had our better players on the pitch. Yes against Orlando last week Saunders allowed a soft goal which was poorly defended as well. Today NE's only goal wasn't his fault and he made good saves in both games that kept us in it with a chance. The real problem is the inability to score goals and that's really concerning at home. Ok go ahead and crucify me now because supporting Saunders isn't the cool thing on these forums and acting like Johannson, a complete unknown, is Gigi Buffon is en vogue. Send your letters to Patrick Vieira. He's the one picking the squad and for some reason he seems to trust Saunders more the Johansson.

Paul, in this match, yes Josh didn't really cost us much. But he's allowed really soft goals that have cost us points. We've had 3 clean sheets in ~40 games, not all of it is on the defense.

Poku did at least track back and played better defense. I think his last touch was the bigger problem than his first touch. He has a one track mind - barrel forward in Beast Mode, which is fine as long as it culminates in a productive play. Today it often did not.

His play offers a different dimension we don't have though. We don't have single player willing/able to go on a marauding run through the midfield and try to split the defense.

What is the 343 supposed to accomplish? One CB? The formation and the lineup sucked. Poku is not a central midfielder, that's why we couldn't keep possession like we do with mix. Isn't pirlo supposed to be able to crack bunkered team? Does the maestro have any ideas other than soft lob to the other team? Mena not a full back, then Vieira blames him. Team looking a lot like last year. Not sure about the bravo boner either. He's fine defensively, but can't pass the ball. Pure shit. Hopefully klinsmann is done with mix and we won't lose him during the summer. Nice start to the season we can all choke on for two weeks now. Hope Vieira is massively pleased by his innovative formation that gives us a weak defense and no attack.

The Bravo boner stems from him being good defensively, not fine. Pirlo looked like he checked out this game. Consistently passed the ball to Bravo, putting the pressure on him to distribute in which he just failed. The formation is supposed to assert midfield dominance, but there's no fluidity between the 4 CMs. It's so rigid that it's actually easy to defend. You know Pirlo and Bravo are sitting in the back, they're not going anywhere. You know Mac and Poku are going to sit right where the formation says they should be.... and that's it. They're sitting in a rigid square, and no one is willing/allowed to disrupt the shape. There was one player sitting between Mac and Poku, effectively defending both of them at the same time. It's really that simple. Villa consumes the 2 CBs because he's still playing as a target man, and our wingers are not good enough to get past a fullback, who doesn't even have to worry about an overlapping run BECAUSE THERE ARE NO FULLBACKS IN THE FORMATION! It's a fucking butt formation that needs to go away.

When we switched to a 433, the playing styles of Villa, Mac, and Poku did not change. I was sitting there, watching Mac and Poku literally stand there when we were in possession. They either have no tank, or no tactical awareness. If you're a CM, how are you not constantly trying to find space to receive the ball? I now have no problem with Poku not playing for that reason. In the second half, Josh was distributing to our right every time (whether he meant it or not) giving Poku plenty of opportunities to get on the ball, and he's sitting there between 2 Rev players with no urgency to get on the ball. Same with Mac, until Villa moved to LW and he seemed to get a fire under his ass. Why Villa is still playing with his back to the net, I'm not sure either. His best attributes are finishing and dribbling. Both are taken away with the way PV has him playing. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

What makes anyone think Johansen is better?

How could anyone be worse?

Curious to know what people thought of Villa on the left wing. I know it was a small sample size, but him playing out there was something that was talked a lot about in the preseason on here.

He didn't seem to do a lot of tracking back on defense, especially late, but I don't know if that was tactical by PV to keep him higher up on the pitch. It made it much easier to get him the ball, and he did have a couple of good crosses.

I'm going to say as long as Mata is back there, theoretically Villa on the left could work. He provides an outlet for counters, and if the RB decides to join the attack, it's Villa vs 1 CB in space. But it could also look like Chelsea when they just pass the ball to Hazard and hope he does something magical because the rest of the team sucks. You become one dimensional, and could overwork your best player.

I hadn't looked that closely, but watching the replay, it's clear that his plant foot slips on the temporary grass and this leads him to whiff on the follow through.

Another thing I hadn't clearly seen. The kick was late and ended up with the defender wrapping his leg around MacNaMullet's neck from about calf high. There wasn't much behind the kick, but the real danger was if the studs got him on the way out. They didn't, but you can almost see TMac being a little shaken during the goal celebration.

I just watched the condensed game on MLS Live. Had to sacrifice last Saturday to do a combine Mom/Wife birthday broadway show. What formation did we go to when we subbed off Mendoza for Mullins? Villa went to the LW?