Nycfc V St Mirren

Not too tricky to just hug the touchline in attack though is it? I don't think he'd have the legs to commit forward and be able to get back playing against a more adventurous side. Only 1 game though, there's plenty more opportunities before the season gets under way.
He did have a very nice cross that Ballouchy headed for a chance, and played nice combinations with the midfielders.

Just got in from the match, was a great experience. Wasn't really expecting that much from the game, with it being the first ever game etc; but I was really surprised with the quality. Some of the passing moves were very good, there's a lot of potential there.
I was also impressed by Jacobson, but I'd disagree about Brovsky I thought he did ok. Mullins hold up play was great at times, Villa was just Villa! Shay Facey performed well and I think his loan in NYC could be very productive for both parties. On a funny note, Tony Taylor had his name sung by the fans on the terraces because " he had a name that sounded like he was from round here!". Finally, Nemec's hold up play was also good; I was very happy with the forward options.
Took some photos for all you fans across the pond; does anyone know the season ticket holder who made the trip across? Fair play to him! Enjoy!

2qw0o3n.jpg
- Flags on the standing terraces

96i2s2.jpg
- Merchandise stall.

hsrfd4.jpg
- Me with my new hat!

16jhjb6.jpg
- Saunders claps the fans.

5lccw5.jpg
- Team celebrate the first goal.

View My Video - Teams entering.

2ep27pv.jpg
- Finally, one for you CPScouse! Standing terraces!
Thanks for the pics!

Maybe he showed better live, but I wasn't terribly encouraged by what I saw from Facey. I think he needs another 10 pounds of strength before he can really play a center back spot, and I didn't see him on the ball enough to have an opinion on him as an outside defender.

Thanks for the pics!

Maybe he showed better live, but I wasn't terribly encouraged by what I saw from Facey. I think he needs another 10 pounds of strength before he can really play a center back spot, and I didn't see him on the ball enough to have an opinion on him as an outside defender.
You're correct about him putting on weight, he does seem lightweight something which could be exposed in the MLS. I've watched him a number of times so maybe I'm biased, especially with him coming from MCFC. He did make some great blocks in the first half though.

That was a very impressive performance. Aggressive, high pressing, quick on the counter, had the lion's share of possession and we looked pretty solid defensively as well. MOTM between Taylor and Poku for me, but impressive performances from Ballouchy, Grabavoy, Velasquez and Jacobson too. I really like our options in attack and midfield, lot's of different styles and qualities, it was difficult to judge the defence as they weren't really tested. Of the trialists, I think Alvarez's experience will come in handy (plus if it keeps Villa happy then that can only be a good thing), and Facey's versatility at RB and CB would be useful in John's absence. Not sure about Martinez, and I reckon Brandt will head over to Wilmington.

Player Ratings (/10)
Saunders 6
Brovsky 7
Mendoza 6.5
Facey 6
Wingert 6
Jacobson 7
Grabavoy 8
Ballouchy 7.5
Velasquez 7
Villa (c) 7
Mullins 6.5

Fitzgerald 6.5
Williams 6
Kwame 6.5
Martinez 6
Brandt 6
Dunn 6
Poku 8.5
Alvarez 6
Taylor 8.5 MOTM
Shelton 6
Nemec 6.5

I've finally got back to my hotel and warmed up some, thank goodness.

Agree with Across the Pond Across the Pond - I enjoyed the game - there are some really talented guys in there, and it was good to see two draft picks get a run-out too. The pressing was good and the second half really opened up on the wings, so we got to see a bit of pace and taking on your man, which I was hoping for.

I took a few pics with my camera and my phone, which I will share when I get back home tomorrow.

No Meara.

I was impressed with Taylor and Poku........and Shelton showed "ambition" (love those British announcers!)
This mirrors my own thoughts. That Taylor goal was superb.

Poku is the guy from Atlanta isn't he?

I was stuck at work but was able to catch alittle bit of the game. Watching it right now.

I look forward to the Bröndby game.. Apparently it´s one of the bigger clubs in Denmark and they tend to challenge for titles

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
I wouldnt mind us playing a 3-5-2... allows us to play poku and Jacobson at CDM, grabavoy and Velasquez out wide and Mix at CAM with villa and taylor up top.

That was a very impressive performance. Aggressive, high pressing, quick on the counter, had the lion's share of possession and we looked pretty solid defensively as well. MOTM between Taylor and Poku for me, but impressive performances from Ballouchy, Grabavoy, Velasquez and Jacobson too. I really like our options in attack and midfield, lot's of different styles and qualities, it was difficult to judge the defence as they weren't really tested. Of the trialists, I think Alvarez's experience will come in handy (plus if it keeps Villa happy then that can only be a good thing), and Facey's versatility at RB and CB would be useful in John's absence. Not sure about Martinez, and I reckon Brandt will head over to Wilmington.

Player Ratings (/10)
Saunders 6
Brovsky 7
Mendoza 6.5
Facey 6
Wingert 6
Jacobson 7
Grabavoy 8
Ballouchy 7.5
Velasquez 7
Villa (c) 7
Mullins 6.5

Fitzgerald 6.5
Williams 6
Kwame 6.5
Martinez 6
Brandt 6
Dunn 6
Poku 8.5
Alvarez 6
Taylor 8.5 MOTM
Shelton 6
Nemec 6.5
I agree with all of this. I was thinking the same thing about alvarez. Would be like a coach, and would keep Villa happy. Thought Brandt showed enough to back up LB for the team, though

I wouldnt mind us playing a 3-5-2... allows us to play poku and Jacobson at CDM, grabavoy and Velasquez out wide and Mix at CAM with villa and taylor up top.
If I had to guess at a starting midfield, Id say, Jacobsen DM, Poku, RM, Grabavoy LM and Mix CAM